IGNORED

What controllers do you use with your 7800?

Ferret75

I use normal Atari 2600 controllers (ones that were recently made). =P

It works well, but I can't use the teleport in Asteroids. XD

I use the Sega Master System controller. It's basically identical to an NES controller in pretty much every way except it's from Sega.

Paddles. :P

And when I need a joystick, I usually use a wireless joystick.

Asteroids and the games that are based on it do not work with some third party controllers. This means even the Cynex joysticks I use.

Edited by shadow460

I use normal Atari 2600 controllers (ones that were recently made). =P

It works well, but I can't use the teleport in Asteroids. XD

Pull the stick back towards you, Asteroids can use one or two button sticks

I use different ones for different games. I usually use the european joypads, but the crosspad inaccuracy becomes an issue on some games (asteroids, ms pacman, etc). In those cases, I like the telegames 7800 stick with rapid fire. I do still like the stock controllers for these games also.

I want one of those... or something similar- can I have a pict of the boards and innards please?

post-7833-1211748415_thumb.jpg

I may have change the wiring around since I took that pic. You will need an extension cable to get all 9 pins. The 2600 joystick cable does not have all pins connected. I used a Sega Genesis extension cable to hack into. If you get the Genesis cable, I can post a modified instructions of the FAQ on how to make the 2 buttons work. The changes are for the differences in wire colors. If you use a 7800 guts you only have to connect the each switch to the appropriate connection, but would have to sacrifice a controller.

I used two 470 ohm resistors and a Sega extension cord to make the joystick work. You can get a panel with joystick and buttons off of ebay for about $30-40 shipped. Also the base and sides were made of 3/4 inch thick plywood. All this cost me about $10 since I got the panel for free and had the cables and resistors laying around. I have yet to test the stick on a XL/XE or 2600 system.

Edited by Almost Rice

I want one of those... or something similar- can I have a pict of the boards and innards please?

I can post a modified instructions of the FAQ on how to make the 2 buttons work. The changes are for the differences in wire colors.

Yes please

It seems the lovers of the 7800 go all out, too bad there are still some "dis-likers" of the system. All that is missing is the keyboard :_(

I think I'm going to undertake a 7800 dual button made from a CX-40.

I realized, I don't even have a pro-line controller. I had one once but it was messed up and all beat up so I got prodos8 to steal the cable and make my Tac2 7800 ready. I have a generic "joy stick" that looks near identical to one, but I never use it.

Nathan

I also use Doubledown's pad. It's better than the Euro joypad and far better than the Pro-Line stick.

I still use official Atari stuff more, but I seriously think Doubledown's Ataintendo pads should be a permanant fixture in the Atariage store. I may want to pick up another one someday.

I also use Doubledown's pad. It's better than the Euro joypad and far better than the Pro-Line stick.

I still use official Atari stuff more, but I seriously think Doubledown's Ataintendo pads should be a permanant fixture in the Atariage store. I may want to pick up another one someday.

Totally agreed! It is a great controller and looks like it came stock back in the day! I'd like to have a set of two myself. he did a superb job on these. And that they were shipped in a game case with cover and plastic baggie was really a nice touch!

Nathan

Just when I said I was gonna take it easy on the gaming spending. It was more than I wanted to spend, but the layout is perfect, and R-Type is one of my favorite arcades. I think I can easily make it righty/lefty friendly without too much troble. Now what to do with the start buttons...

post-16761-1211827720_thumb.jpg

Edited by cosmosiss