IGNORED

Atari A/V mod update

Longhorn Engineer

Longhorn's guide for the 4-Switcher is for the Rev.16 motherboard... There were 3 major revisions for the 4 switcher. Rev1-13, Rev14-15, and Rev16+. I just finished a mod on a Rev14 board which has the 820 Ohm resistor connected directly to the TIA socket instead of its own place on the board. Have a look at the pics if you have a Rev14 or 15 board and need some help....

Atari_rev14_15_mod_changes01.jpg

Atari_rev14_15_mod_changes02.jpg

I briefly had my hands on a Rev13 board and it is a bit different since it is before the addition on the diodes and has some resistor value changes...

I installed this mod into a light sixer today. There was some initial trouble with the audio connections not being solid (I tried soldering to a socket instead of directly to the TIA chip. I decided to solder directly to the chip as Longhorn suggests. The other initial problem is the color randomly going in and out. I think I have this tracked down to a dodgy connection on the modboard. Then I noticed another problem. After about fifteen minutes of fiddling with the system, it quit working. I checked the power supply and found that it was outputting 14 volts instead of 9. Did I just now ruin my light-sixer?

I installed this mod into a light sixer today. There was some initial trouble with the audio connections not being solid (I tried soldering to a socket instead of directly to the TIA chip. I decided to solder directly to the chip as Longhorn suggests. The other initial problem is the color randomly going in and out. I think I have this tracked down to a dodgy connection on the modboard. Then I noticed another problem. After about fifteen minutes of fiddling with the system, it quit working. I checked the power supply and found that it was outputting 14 volts instead of 9. Did I just now ruin my light-sixer?

14V is normal for the AC adapter when it isn't plugged into the Atari. Try measuring the 7805 regulator voltages with the console turned on. Center pin is ground. The input pin should read somewhere above +8V. It varies from console to console and by what you have plugged into the ports. The output should read very close to +5V when the deck is turned on no matter what. It might be easier to measure at the TIA chip. Pin 1 is ground and pin 20 is +5V.

14V is normal for the AC adapter when it isn't plugged into the Atari. Try measuring the 7805 regulator voltages with the console turned on. Center pin is ground. The input pin should read somewhere above +8V. It varies from console to console and by what you have plugged into the ports. The output should read very close to +5V when the deck is turned on no matter what. It might be easier to measure at the TIA chip. Pin 1 is ground and pin 20 is +5V.

This test checks out okay. Still, I have no picture and no sound. Any ideas? I just noticed that the FMS6400 is so hot it blistered my finger. Hmmm....

Edited by Frotz

Did you assemble the mod board yourself or did you buy it pre-built. I would check to see if something isn't soldered in backwards... mainly the diode (which should have its cathode (striped) end facing the 4050 chip) or the Electrolytic Capacitors which are polarized and sometimes get put in backwards.... and always... cold solder joints (dull, non-shiny round solder blobs....)!!

Did you assemble the mod board yourself or did you buy it pre-built. I would check to see if something isn't soldered in backwards... mainly the diode (which should have its cathode (striped) end facing the 4050 chip) or the Electrolytic Capacitors which are polarized and sometimes get put in backwards.... and always... cold solder joints (dull, non-shiny round solder blobs....)!!

All those polarized parts are installed the right way round. Since I bought two kits, I built up the second. This time I attached only the audio outputs. I'll gradually go from there. Right now I'm waiting for the TV to be vacated so I can check things out.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone heard from LE?  I sent him a SVA2 to create the install instructions weeks ago and haven't heard from him since.  I hope everything is OK with him.

Yeah, apparently he was on vacation for a bit, but is back now. Try e-mailing or PMing him again.

Chris

Hi. I'm new to this site and I have to say this is a great forum.

Anyway I have a couple of PAL 2600AP and I've tried several easy mods off the internet but it didn't work out satisfactorily.

Shitty colors, bleeding, out of sync and latest, I have a working mod for 20 seconds and then picture dies.

Anyway, I'm keen on adapting this mod to PAL. I'll try this. I'll take pictures and post them if it works.

Cheers

I forgot to mention, the faux-stereo sound is really cool as well.

It's not faux-stereo. The Atari was originally going to use 2 built in speakers, you can see the speaker holes in the top of the Atari.

Atari_VCS_speaker_holes.sized.jpg

The speakers were dropped as a cost-saving measure and sound was routed to the TV instead. Back then TVs were mono, stereo TV didn't come out until 84.

The earliest games were written before the speakers were dropped, and they took advantage of the stereo sound. In Air-Sea-Battle the left player's sound effects come out the left speaker, the right player's out the right. Games written after that didn't care about the stereo sound as it didn't matter since nobody could hear it.

Homebrew games Skeleton+ and Medieval Mayhem also utilize stereo sound as these were written after AV modding became popular. Stella also supports stereo sound, though it's enabled on a game-by-game basis.

Edited by SpiceWare

• 2 weeks later...
Mine fell, and now all I get is half color, as seen here:
[snip]

Is there a resistor between pin 6 and pin 9? (might be on the motherboard, might be on the mod) Check the connections there. Check everything associated with pin 9. I can't view Longhorn's schematics right now so I can't offer more detailed suggestions. Gotta go glue some more pieces to Death Race! It's getting picked up tonight for California Extreme. Soooo last minute!!!