IGNORED

Atari A/V mod update

Longhorn Engineer

Ok I need some help on the PAL mod.

I sent the mod over to Preppie!! and he tested it out for me. Before I shipped it over I tested it on my little 2.5" NTSC/PAL LCD screen on composite and it worked fine.

Wharfdale LY19T1CBW - Works

Sony Bravia KDL 32D3000 - Works

Loewe Concept L26 - S-video gave black and white picture only, somtimes there is a flash of colour, probably one frame every 60, nice sharp image though. I tried composite then but again only Black and White image (yes I checked the switch!) horrible verticle zig zag lines

Sony 28" CRT - Black and white only with s-vid and composite

Only thing I can think of is that the PAL signal for the color is slightly off spec which can cause it to misplace the color info on the TV or in the case of NTSC/PAL Tvs that the TV is defaulting to NTSC for some reason.

Oh this PAL Atari is from Australia if I remember correctly. Any problem with it being in the UK?

PDF of the schematic for PAL

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

Installed the 7800 video mod today. The result is awesome! Great clarity and color in both 2600 and 7800 modes. It's just wonderful!

Thank you, Longhorn Engineer!

I haven't received my mod kit yet :?

All the major online vendors where out of the a chip I use for all the mods. Ordered from another source but they are taking there time getting to my place.

Building a 2600 A/V mod in 4 minutes...if only I could do it that fast in real life!

That was pretty clever, Parker. xD Would be mad if it did happen in real-life

Thanks! I am planning on building a simple portable in the future and film the entire thing. Tomorrow I will be uploading a "speed" Atari 2600 install on a 4 switcher.

I just hooked up my 2600, which I hadn't played since last September, and I just have to say that I was re-blown away by the quality of this video mod. I play all of my other classic systems in RGB, and the quality of this s-video mod (on my monitor at least) is VERY close to RGB. So I just wanted to say thanks again. My VCS was previously AV modded using the Heckendorn method, and I'm glad I ripped that mod out of there and put this one in!

I did notice that I can't play my VCS on my HDTV, which has an s-video input. It doesn't matter to me anyway because I have a dedicated gaming CRT, but is that a common problem?

Chris

I did notice that I can't play my VCS on my HDTV, which has an s-video input. It doesn't matter to me anyway because I have a dedicated gaming CRT, but is that a common problem?

No that is not. I play mine on a HDTV all the time. Does it not come up or the graphics scrambled?

My HDTV doesn't like my modded Atari either. A few games generate a fuzzy B&W image while the majority don't display anything at all.

Edited by SpiceWare

Mine is an LG M237WD-PM 23. Basically nothing comes up on the screen. I think there were a few colored lines but I don't remember. It is a brand new TV so I didn't want to mess with it, and the Atari looks awesome on my gaming CRT so I didn't really care to investigate further.

Chris

Mine's a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond from 2001.

It doesn't like the signal put out by my Sega Nomad either. Possibly it doesn't like a 240p signal, or perhaps the Atari and Nomad put out an out-of-spec signal.

My TV reads the Atari as a 480i signal. Hmm could be it doesn't like the weird scanline set up from the Atari.

The Nomad is why I think it might be a 240p issue. I'll have to hook up something else to the TV to see. Problem is mom's been staying here and she's watching a lot of HGTV (yes, that's meant to be a G). She's moving to Trinidad (dad's already there working) at the end of the month - she stayed behind with the dogs until they are allowed into the country.

She might be heading down to Corpus Christi to visit my sister later this week, if she does I'll test it then. I'm pretty sure my Vic 20 and Amiga CD32 output 240p.

The Nomad is why I think it might be a 240p issue. I'll have to hook up something else to the TV to see. Problem is mom's been staying here and she's watching a lot of HGTV (yes, that's meant to be a G). She's moving to Trinidad (dad's already there working) at the end of the month - she stayed behind with the dogs until they are allowed into the country.

She might be heading down to Corpus Christi to visit my sister later this week, if she does I'll test it then. I'm pretty sure my Vic 20 and Amiga CD32 output 240p.

Would be good if you could do a RF test with the Atari to.