IGNORED

Yoomp Boxes and version 1.1

eru

For people that are still interested in the SE version, I might have an option.

Some people that got one of the original 25 SE are willing to take part in the auction for CE. But they want to have a guarantee to keep their SE copy if they do not end up in the top 15 for the CE. So, I decided to make a 'backup list' of people, that might get an SE copy after the auction finishes. If you want to be on this list, please send me a PM. Keep in mind, that you will need to wait for the end of the auction to get a copy.

For the winners of SE - if you want to follow this setup (participate in the CE auction, and keep your SE if you do not win), please also let me know. Keep in mind, that the sending of your SE copy will be delayed.

I don't remember games being this complicated to buy back in the 80s.

Yes, but then the company could produce 100K copies at a cost of $5 per copy, sell them for $50 per copy, and still make profit if they sell 30K (please, don't mention "E.T.").

The costs for us were high, and it was hard to estimate the demand, so we decided to produce a small number to avoid potential losses.

If someone wants to invest $10K in manufacturing 1000 copies - we are willing to talk :)

I think I'd be interested in 50 (looks like this is what you initially produced, right?) if you'd let me sell them here in the states. What do you think?

If you're serious about it, let me know in private. But first let's finish the current activities. I have enough on my mind.

PS. Greetings to Redmond - ah, good memories, autumn of 2005 :)

Edited by eru

We are surprised to see that hardly anybody decided to participate in the auction for the Collector's Edition (one person already placed a bid, one is planning to).

Well, it's no wonder for me how it turned out to be. I really haven't seen such complex buying system for a long time (considering it's aimed for a plain man not releated with stock exchange or eBay, etc.).

If I would get this luxury edition, I prefered to pay for it by PayPal or something like this (I used to do so nowadays). It seems to be more friendly system, anyway. :] And what you also should do is to set a suitable price for that special [limited copies'] edition, that completely covers all costs of course. :)

By the way, my congrats to the whole staff for successful execution of this amazing project! :cool:

Edited by Dracon

Eru, when is the next chance to have our first meeting? are traveling the next couple of weeks around southern Germany?

Well, I'm in A'dam most of the time, just drop by. If I'm travelling, it's either Poland or US, no time for other trips :(

What do you mean non-commercial?

We're selling it!!! :D

You're selling it in a rather confusing way. Why not make things simple? Cronosoft did a special 'White label' version of Stranded 2.5, limited the number of copies and initially sold it at a computer show. Any copies after that were put on their website on a first come, first served basis. They sold out pretty quickly. Simple.

In a time of economic uncertainy, the last thing that people need is a confusing auction. First come, first serve. You set the price per unit. Sorted. And for people who miss out, tough. My thoughts... which version am I buying? Tape, disk, cart? or all? Am I bidding blind? What should I start my bid at? And, will I get a copy? Now, I've missed out on eBay items in the past, but at least I knew the minimum amount that I should bid, how much the postage was, what I was (or should be) getting, the various payment options available to me, and when the auction ends to the second.

In fact, as the tape is already mastered, I suggest that you approach Cronosoft to sell it for you. The programmers will get a commission for each copy sold, and Cronosoft do all of the work promoting it, printing out the inlays, copying the tapes etc etc... As this is such a revered game, it could be sold at Cronosoft's "premium" price. Games are usually either £1.99 + postage, or £2.99 + postage. But a couple of releases are £4.99 + postage. Okay, these aren't games as such, but Yoomp! is such a revered and quality game that I think people would pay the extra bit, especially as it'll always be available as long as Cronosoft are still going.

Regards,

Shaun.

Shaun, thanks for your remarks.

Well, I know the entire thing might seem a bit confusing. Still, lots of the confusion comes from the fact, that people just do not read carefully. For example, your comment about "which version am I buying? Tape, disk, cart? or all?" is really covered on the front page: The set you're buying looks like this...And consists of (both Standard Edition and Collector's Edition)...

The way we structured the thing is: anyone can buy the normal version, but we can't manufacture too much up front, not to take a risk. CE version is, as the name says, for collectors. If someone wants something unique, and is willing to pay for it, fine. Keep in mind, that if someone is willing to pay some money for it now, it's quite likely in the future people will be willing to pay more for it. Also, we see it as a way of contributing to the authors, as SE copies are sold on a small profit over the materials, which definitely does not cover all the time we spent on preparing it.

As for Cronosoft - their price of 4.99gbp might seem fitting for simple cassette releases. However, keep in mind our box includes so much more. Also, manufacturing cassettes and floppies is relatively cheap in small quantities. It's quite different for carts and, especially, for DTP. Still, we might consider Cronosoft in the future (although I doubt many people in the Atari scene would be interested in cassette versions).

As for Cronosoft - their price of 4.99gbp might seem fitting for simple cassette releases. However, keep in mind our box includes so much more. Also, manufacturing cassettes and floppies is relatively cheap in small quantities. It's quite different for carts and, especially, for DTP. Still, we might consider Cronosoft in the future (although I doubt many people in the Atari scene would be interested in cassette versions).

Cronosoft's strength is courting publicity outside traditional 'scene' places, for instance, they have had a broadly positive press from gamesTM, Retro Gamer and Micro Mart magazines over the years; these publicatoins are professional printed matter available throughout the UK via various news agents and WHSmiths. So, what will essentially be a re-release should give Retro Gamer at the very least purpose to review and rate it (I'm sure both would be positive), whilst Micro Mart will most likely advertise the release to its readers. Who knows? Maybe a few people in the UK would happily dig out and dust off their old Ataris if they thought that they could buy real-media software for it again. Or, purchase a working machine from eBay for the same reason.

As for cassette vs disk, I'm sure that it'd be much easier for Cronosoft to produce disks, but I don't think that Simon Ullyatt has a way of doing this presently (I'm not a big fan of tape media either) and I'm sure that he'll be delighted if some Atari scener could help out with this regard to get things started. I know that at least one Atari 8-bit release has been pending for some time now.

Also, some Cronosoft releases become collectible because of re-branding that makes slight or even wholesale changes to the artwork on the inlay. I know early ZX Spectrum titles are amongst these.

Regards,

Shaun.

I am 100% Retro Gamer would publish a small review or view a pic of the artwork & box etc as they have published Yoomp news anyway at the 10 all time Atari faves in issue 47 p. 77.

And I would prefer to have a Cronosoft rerelease on tape at least, could be good start together with TMR's Reaxxion... ;)

Short update.

I just sent a payment email to all people that were fast enough to buy one of the first 25 copies of SE. Also, I sent a similar mail to people that didn't qualify. Please check your mailboxes. If you sent me an email to buy a Yoomp! SE, and didn't get any email, contact me on AtariAge with PM.

In the meantime, the auction for Yoomp! Collector's Edition is going on. You can see the current status here: http://buy.yoomp.atari.pl/bids.php , join the auction by following the instructions here: http://buy.yoomp.atari.pl/auction.php and make bids here: http://buy.yoomp.atari.pl/bid_form.php . The current price of CE is just above the price of SE, and remember these will be signed and individually numbered.

eru

The auction is finished. You can see the ranking at: http://buy.yoomp.atari.pl/bids.php

Congratulations to all winners! :) And thanks for bidding to all bidders! :)

People complained about its form, and with a hindsight, I would do it differently now. But what's done is done.

I have sent emails to all participants, if you did participate and didn't get it, please let me know.

Edited by eru