IGNORED

Giving up on boxed collection

BydoEmpire

For a while I was trying ot go for a boxed 5200 collection - I passed on loose games, and picked up a few boxed games I didn't really need. I figured "why spend a few bucks on loose games when I'll have to rebuy them boxed later anyways?" Now, though, I think I'm done. I'm more of a player - how can I pass up Pitfall 2 for $2 even if it's loose? I'd still prefer to get CIB games, but I think I'm giving up on the boxed collection goal... at least for a while. Even though the 5200 is a very reasonable system to collect CIB games for (Bounty Bob and Meteorites notwithstanding), it's just too expensive at this point. I can't justify the extra money for boxed games, though I do love seeing the boxes on the shelf.

Anyone out there have boxed 5200 collections - and did you go for "only boxed games" or did you simply work on your collection first, then start reacquiring CIB games later? I'm curious if anyone else gave up on CIB collections?

I did loose first on 7800 and got within 3 carts. Now I'm working on Boxed/New.

I'm starting 5200 and thought the best way to go was boxed from the start. You think that's a bad idea though don't you? I was going to buy the 5200 USB cartridge right off the bat this time. When collecting 7800 I just wanted to play them all. Now that I'm getting a cuttle cart, I don't have to worry about opening or having a game before I can enjoy it while collecting.

AX

I don't think I'd enjoy the 128-in-1 as much. I like having the real carts, sorting through them deciding what to play, that satisfying 'click' into the slot. It's part of the fun. Finding the carts is also part of it - it's exciting to get a new game, or see a 5200 cart stuck in a pile of junk at the flea market.

I don't think boxed from the start i's a bad idea, I just realized it wasn't for me (at least right now). I'm curious if the boxed collectors out there went loose first, or if they tried to start boxed. If you start loose on one hand, you'd get a good collection first and be able to pick up boxes at your leisure. On the other hand, you'd probably have to buy a lot of dupes. Starting boxed is nice because you buy each game once, but it's a lot slower and takes a lot of dedication. I think I'm going to stay loose, but if I have a choice and the price isn't ridiculous I'd choose the box.

• 1 month later...

I just get the game if I don't have it, then if I see it boxed, I upgrade. Slowly, over time, my boxed set grows and my loose set becomes my "keep the spare by my desk to play so I can keep the boxes in good condition" set.

If I decide I don't really want to play it (much), I'll give the extra one to my niece or nephew, who I gave an extra console to a couple of years ago for Christmas.

But I never (well, almost never) pay more than a couple of bucks for a game, either...

• 2 weeks later...
For a while I was trying ot go for a boxed 5200 collection - I passed on loose games, and picked up a few boxed games I didn't really need. I figured "why spend a few bucks on loose games when I'll have to rebuy them boxed later anyways?" Now, though, I think I'm done. I'm more of a player - how can I pass up Pitfall 2 for $2 even if it's loose? I'd still prefer to get CIB games, but I think I'm giving up on the boxed collection goal... at least for a while. Even though the 5200 is a very reasonable system to collect CIB games for (Bounty Bob and Meteorites notwithstanding), it's just too expensive at this point. I can't justify the extra money for boxed games, though I do love seeing the boxes on the shelf.

Anyone out there have boxed 5200 collections - and did you go for "only boxed games" or did you simply work on your collection first, then start reacquiring CIB games later? I'm curious if anyone else gave up on CIB collections?

Yeah, with fears on the economy, a LOT of people are selling their systems or getting completely out of the scene so to speak. My wife is pregnant, so I've been going through my entire "game" closet and selling a lot of stuff I never thought I would. Not that the economy is really all that bad, but a lot of people are fearing for the worst, so people are holding off or trying to recoupe some of their costs by selling everything again. I've noticed a lot of "collections" being sold on eBay.

I sold my 7800 flash cart a while back too... never thought I'd sell that. I still have my Kroc cart, but I don't think I'm selling that.

I've always tried to get CIB, but I'll always go for loose carts too.

I started out loose a few years ago just to get a chance to play some of the games that I never did when I was younger. After a while I decided to try and get everything boxed. I managed to grab an old VHS cabinet from my in-laws when they moved and it stores them perfectly. Not too big, not too small, but just right...

Yeah, with fears on the economy, a LOT of people are selling their systems or getting completely out of the scene so to speak.

I don't think it's the economy. People just get bored of collecting or realize how much money they have tied up in it. They start to think about other things that they want and start looking at the game collection as a source of funds. I rarely here of people selling the collection for groceries, etc.. It's usually a new hobby interest or a car, etc..

I used to collect both boxed and loose and counted them as different collections. Then I realized I just don't have that kind of space and quit collecting boxed games. I still try to get manuals but no boxes. If I do happen to get boxes I usually find someone else who needs them. I don't get to make thrift runs a whole lot anymore though because they are so far from my house and the cost of gas. :(

You might as well buy loose games when the boxed one isn't available at that time. The reason why is because with some certain games you may never find them boxed, or it could be years and years until you find it boxed. So why pass up a game that you'd like to have just because it isn't boxed?

You might as well buy loose games when the boxed one isn't available at that time. The reason why is because with some certain games you may never find them boxed, or it could be years and years until you find it boxed. So why pass up a game that you'd like to have just because it isn't boxed?

Exactly. My entire 5200 collection is loose. Some have manuals and some have overlays. I tend to use the same set up my daddy did with his 2600, and that's to have carts, manuals, and overlays (if needed). That's my goal for most of my cartridge based systems. That's aside from the thinking about how much space a boxed collection would take up.

I really want CIB. It's my favorite Atari system and has its lore. It doesn't feel right having a large amount of loose carts, plus I know how that feels having hundreds of loose carts for the Genesis, N64, NES, and SNES. Good thing I avoided loose SMS carts! Right now I have 22 CIBs and 3 loose games for the system. I'm always keeping an eye out for complete games, although I've seen quite a few loose carts but they are all commons. If it were a highly uncommon or rare game then I might let it slide and grab a loose copy.