IGNORED

real cool racing game for atari 8bit?

Marius

Hi Folks,

After all the music creation of the last days, I wanted to take a few virtual road trips on my atari 8bit. First I played a couple of hours with pole position, but however i like it... after a while it gets a little boring.

Then I played the Great American (cross country) Road Race. That is really a cool racer, and looks like Enduro (also Activision). But ok... after another couple of hours racing and playing I wondered this:

Are these the only two "good" race games on atari 8bit? I am not really interested in boring or bad programmed games...

But if someone has a real good advice... tell me! On the modern computers I'm totally not into racing games, but on the 8bit I'd like to have some more variation.

I know Outrun is coming... but I guess that will take a lot of time till it is finished... (progress looks good, i must say!)

thanks for your advice

Marius

Hmm well,

on the Atari I would like to see a game like Pitstop or Pole Position but...

- with realtime racing (not randomly placed computer racers), if thats possible on the A8...?!?

- with different racing courses (like Pitstop and Pitstop 2) and the possibility to use more than one course

(unlike Pole Position 2 on the 7800 where you have four different courses, but can only use one course at a time and are returned to the menu then; I would like to use e.g. all courses, or e.g. 4 out of 8 and then race one after another...)

- for 2-4 simultanous players (not one after another; e.g. using Paddles or a Rotary/Racing controller), but faster than Pitstop 2 please !

- with built-in tournement mode, like in a real F1 race: the first racer gets 7 points, the second...; the one that scored the most points at the end of the tournement wins (a prize, a girl or both)...

- alternatively with a built-in arcade-like mode: e.g. there are ten cars, in the first race you have to finish as number 8, in the second race you have to finish as number 7, in the third race number six, etc.

The graphics needn`t be so superb, something like Pitstop 1 gfx would be enough, if the gameplay and game-environment would be like described above (realtime racing, 2-4 simult. players, tournement or arcade-mode, fast!)... -Andreas Koch.

On track racing (an early a8 equiv. to championchip super sprint)

California run...total cack (pole position for newbies)

Electraglide...Pole position on E's (or some other haluceogenic drug)

Death race (atlantis) if you remember the coin op game 'turbo' by sega..avoid like the plague

Hmm well,

on the Atari I would like to see a game like Pitstop or Pole Position but...

- with realtime racing (not randomly placed computer racers), if thats possible on the A8...?!?

- with different racing courses (like Pitstop and Pitstop 2) and the possibility to use more than one course

(unlike Pole Position 2 on the 7800 where you have four different courses, but can only use one course at a time and are returned to the menu then; I would like to use e.g. all courses, or e.g. 4 out of 8 and then race one after another...)

- for 2-4 simultanous players (not one after another; e.g. using Paddles or a Rotary/Racing controller), but faster than Pitstop 2 please !

- with built-in tournement mode, like in a real F1 race: the first racer gets 7 points, the second...; the one that scored the most points at the end of the tournement wins (a prize, a girl or both)...

- alternatively with a built-in arcade-like mode: e.g. there are ten cars, in the first race you have to finish as number 8, in the second race you have to finish as number 7, in the third race number six, etc.

The graphics needn`t be so superb, something like Pitstop 1 gfx would be enough, if the gameplay and game-environment would be like described above (realtime racing, 2-4 simult. players, tournement or arcade-mode, fast!)... -Andreas Koch.

One thing I've always missed was a good drag racing game such as "Top Fuel Eliminator" for the 64. Since there are only 2 (funny)cars or dragsters competing at a time, I don't think it would have been too hard to do the graphics using combined players. I think there was a non-graphic (Basic) drag race simulation written, but that's not what I'm referring to. And although it may seem pretty straight-forward to race two cars for a 1/4-mile (1000 ft for now), there are lots of variables that determine whether you can win the 4-second race or "smoke the tires" and lose. The PC and PS2 versions are really quite spectacular. e.g.

http://www.cduniverse.com/images.asp?pid=6...Drag+Racing+PS2

-Larry

It's probably not what you're looking for, but I always liked Racing Destruction Set.

Admittedly, it was more fun designing the tracks than it was to race on them... best way to play is two players, one tries to design an impossible track, and the other races on it, against the computer car. Bonus points for using a fast car when the gravity is set to "lunar".

It would be a really cool project for someone to write a top-down Pole Position style game engine that can use the tracks designed in Racing Destruction Set. Anyone know anything about RDS's file format?

Speed ace reminds me too much of 'Speed King' by mastetronic (which i've only ever seen in emulator format), speed ace slightly shades it on the gfx though (though the games themselves are v. similar)

Shame that there wasn't a sequal to Electraglide...or that PPII never made it onto the A8 (only the 7800)

Hi!

Thanks for all your contributions to this thread. I have a few titles now to test. I'll let you know how I'm doing.

I played last night Enduro again on my 2600. And I can remember I found that game boring as a kid. But now... I really liked it. Enduro looks like The Great American (Cross Country) Road Race on atari 8bit. But I like the game concept of passing cars (Enduro).

Is there an Enduro clone for atari 8bit too?

Thanks

M.

I my early days of playing on the Atari I enjoyed Baja Buggies.

I still enjoy playing Baja Buggies. :)

Not a true racing game per se, but I've always loved Trailblazer.

Yes! Baja Buggies. One of the early games I played and enjoyed. Anyone remember "Match Racer?" Simple, but beautiful, smooth vertical scrolling and lots of fun in the early days of Atari.

-Larry

Match Racer by Gebelli. Spent hours on that one. One of the first games I bought back then...

Fuji-man

I my early days of playing on the Atari I enjoyed Baja Buggies.

I still enjoy playing Baja Buggies. :)

Not a true racing game per se, but I've always loved Trailblazer.

Yes! Baja Buggies. One of the early games I played and enjoyed. Anyone remember "Match Racer?" Simple, but beautiful, smooth vertical scrolling and lots of fun in the early days of Atari.

-Larry

With some real tight coding, and probably extended ram requirements, it should be possible to code something along the lines of "F1" (from the Amiga) on the little Atari.. The resolution & color depth may not be "up to par" with the Amiga version, but I bet the game mechanics and "feel" could be done..

At the very least, you could get something along the lines of "Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge" (from the NES)...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

hi, I think that Speed Ace is very nice racing game (not cars, but motorbikes). Nice graphics and very good playbility.´

On the Atari missing great racing game such as Lotus, Jaguar XJ220 or Crazy Cars I-III. I dont know why . . . . Atari is very powerfull comp. for this kind of games, isnt it?

Edited by Poison

Speed Run, a late entry from Red Rat (UK) is not a bad racer at all:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=4893

That is the one I was trying to recall. I myself just learned of it in recent years with the net, since it was never released in the U.S.A as far as I knew. I really want to like this game becuase of the cockpit view, along with a good Pole Position type track and two player mode, etc., and it's speed is acceptable too. But, the controls, as I recall, where far too sensitive and the track too narrow and I just kept bouncing off the sides when attempting to steer. Maybe I should give it another go, but I think that was the reason I was disappointed and haven't played it since.