IGNORED

"Sub-$100 Wii-like console" in GamePro

Or maybe an available add-on cart adapter. Nothing you would have to solder or anything like that, but maybe have a port on it that you could buy the optional hardware for. Not a bad idea, having both or option of both.

Nathan

Can't weigh in on to much discussed here for obvious reasons. But I will say that a cartridge port is not an option, as has been explained plenty of times before by Curt and my self. Media card slot, possibly. But not a cartridge slot.
It's unfortunate that a disclaimer of Not guaranteed to work with 20+ year old cartridges (stuck across a brand new 2600a type cart slot) cannot be used to satisfy technical problems, i.e., wear and tear (which I find quite rare). I know this has been discussed before.

A media card slot would be a definite plus and make it a must buy, IMHO.

Maybe they could put on both? A cartridge slot for collectors and those who appreciate Atari's history, and a media slot for those conveniences of modern life. Out of curiosity though, have a lot of people had many problems with there carts? I've had old Atari's go bad, but cartridges for the most part always seem to work.

You'd think that Atari (if they were to go the retro route) could sell this new system that is cart based, and make carts that could hold dozens of games on them. Make like a "Sports Pack" and "Arcade Pack". If we are dealing with newer hardware, make the arcade ports available alongside there 2600, 5200, and 7800 counterparts. This could be done now, couldn't it?

Or maybe an available add-on cart adapter. Nothing you would have to solder or anything like that, but maybe have a port on it that you could buy the optional hardware for. Not a bad idea, having both or option of both.

Nathan

Can't weigh in on to much discussed here for obvious reasons. But I will say that a cartridge port is not an option, as has been explained plenty of times before by Curt and my self. Media card slot, possibly. But not a cartridge slot.
It's unfortunate that a disclaimer of Not guaranteed to work with 20+ year old cartridges (stuck across a brand new 2600a type cart slot) cannot be used to satisfy technical problems, i.e., wear and tear (which I find quite rare). I know this has been discussed before.

A media card slot would be a definite plus and make it a must buy, IMHO.

Maybe they could put on both? A cartridge slot for collectors and those who appreciate Atari's history, and a media slot for those conveniences of modern life. Out of curiosity though, have a lot of people had many problems with there carts? I've had old Atari's go bad, but cartridges for the most part always seem to work.

You'd think that Atari (if they were to go the retro route) could sell this new system that is cart based, and make carts that could hold dozens of games on them. Make like a "Sports Pack" and "Arcade Pack". If we are dealing with newer hardware, make the arcade ports available alongside there 2600, 5200, and 7800 counterparts. This could be done now, couldn't it?

Ugh, this is getting a little messy with the top post/bottom post thingy, but nowhere near the record on AA.

Anyhow, a major problem is that the hardware would need to be close to 100% compatible with the original Atari 2600's, or we'll run into the Flashback 2 RevA problems where IIRC production engineers changed the schematics on production boards and this caused compatibility problems that were discovered by those who hacked in their cart slots.

I'm all for having cart slots and media slots for a portable FB; soldering in my own - not really.