IGNORED

Anyone think Ballblazer is possible on the 2600?

But I'm really getting out of ROM space. Lots of code is generated with macro's. Is it OK to change some macro's into subroutines, push some variables to the stack and call the subroutines with JSR?

In general there's nothing wrong with changing macros into subroutines...except that it will eat CPU cycles due to the JSR/RTSes and the pushes and pops.

Here's a document that shows how to do f8 bankswitching:

http://www.qotile.net/minidig/docs/2600_ad..._prog_guide.txt

It's not too hard...partitioning the code is really the hardest part.

Ben

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'll go that route now, I can always optimise the code afterwards if I want to.

Been following this since the start, and just want to express my appreciation (and amazement). Truly, this is incredible. Never would have guessed a 2600 could get even this far towards this goal. Please keep it up, and finish the game if possible (and it appears to be possible?) Incredible.

• Like 1

Been following this since the start, and just want to express my appreciation (and amazement). Truly, this is incredible. Never would have guessed a 2600 could get even this far towards this goal. Please keep it up, and finish the game if possible (and it appears to be possible?) Incredible.

Thanks, I hope I can keep it up!

But I'm really getting out of ROM space. Lots of code is generated with macro's. Is it OK to change some macro's into subroutines, push some variables to the stack and call the subroutines with JSR?

In general there's nothing wrong with changing macros into subroutines...except that it will eat CPU cycles due to the JSR/RTSes and the pushes and pops.

Here's a document that shows how to do f8 bankswitching:

http://www.qotile.net/minidig/docs/2600_ad..._prog_guide.txt

It's not too hard...partitioning the code is really the hardest part.

Ben

Hi,

I'm now trying to bankswitch. I've split my source into small parts so it's easy to move them around now.

The code in the document you're refering to is in the $1000-$1FFF range. My modified hello-world is in the $F000-$FFFF range (I don't know why). When I change my orgs from $FXXX to $1XXX and I compile the thing, things are really slowing down in the emulator. Any idea what is going wrong?

source.zip

Edited by roland p

• 2 weeks later...

Major update!

implemented for both players:

- non linear friction

- brakes

- bouncing on all 4 borders (was 3)

- max speed

- added bankswitching, 8Kb

- full internal 16bit calculations

now my brain hurts :D

There are some small visual glithces, I did not take care of that this time. The code is very bloated too, but at least the functionality is there.

ballblazer.bin

source.zip

Edited by roland p