IGNORED

Who else is playing Mega Man 9?

Atari Master

Hmmm... I had a look at the close-ups of the screenshots from the NP scans, and while I'm still very excited, I'm also a little worried. Remember how the levels in Mega Man 6 were mostly bland and uninspired (Centaur Man's, Plant Man's and Tomahawk Man's levels in particular)? I get the same "lack of imagination" vibe from MM9 when I look at the levels shown in those screenshots. Still, I'm sure I'm going to play this to death once it's released. :)

This also raises an interesting question: Now that Inafune has seen the light about going back to the 8-bit roots of the series, would it be that much of a wild idea to have a Metroid-style Mega Man game, with a single large world to explore instead of separate levels? I don't think it would be too hard do develop such a game with 8-bit graphics (like they're doing with MM9) and if there's a series that lends itself well to "Metroidization", it's certainly Mega Man. :D

Interesting concept. I like it.

Plus, I'm also glad the guy's finally seeing the light and going back to the classic series that made my eyes shine in awe.

Mega Man 8 wasn't 8-bit but it still had the same impact as all the other Mega Man games in the series.......just larger bosses. I loved it.

We don't know if its exclusive yet, but it's going to use NES style graphics and music. :D

Sounds good, but I have to question using 8 bit graphics. MM 7 & 8 weren't 8 bit games and they were pretty good. Personally I would prefer modern 2D with smoother sprites.

EDIT: Maybe I'll be able to get a version that has updated 2D?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/rumor-me...o-xbla-psn-too/

Edited by MCHufnagel

Hmmm... I had a look at the close-ups of the screenshots from the NP scans, and while I'm still very excited, I'm also a little worried. Remember how the levels in Mega Man 6 were mostly bland and uninspired (Centaur Man's, Plant Man's and Tomahawk Man's levels in particular)? I get the same "lack of imagination" vibe from MM9 when I look at the levels shown in those screenshots. Still, I'm sure I'm going to play this to death once it's released. :)

This also raises an interesting question: Now that Inafune has seen the light about going back to the 8-bit roots of the series, would it be that much of a wild idea to have a Metroid-style Mega Man game, with a single large world to explore instead of separate levels? I don't think it would be too hard do develop such a game with 8-bit graphics (like they're doing with MM9) and if there's a series that lends itself well to "Metroidization", it's certainly Mega Man. :D

I'm not quite sure about the approach you suggested. It seems like it would just be Metroid with a different character. However, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Me, I would probably go for something like the approach you suggested, but with the classic stage select. Each stage (The exceptions being the opening stage, which would be designed in the regular linear MM style, and the Dr. Wily stages, which would simply have you looking for the boss.) would be designed like a sprawling labyrinth, with several specific targets to take out before you can go to the main boss. When you selected a robot master from the stage map, you would get a screen with the mission info (which could be brought back up at any time during the level), and be given the choice to either go to the stage, or back to the robot master select screen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

IGN gave the 360 version a 8.6.

A respectable score for sure.

Part of that rating no doubt was based on the graphics....which they gave a 3.0

WTF!!??

YOU F*CKIN IDIOTS!!!

It's a game based on games from the 8 bit period.

HELLO!!

Of course the graphics are going to look primitive compared to say...Oblivion or Halo3.

It's a game thats a sequel to NES games.

The guys reviewing the game were sucking tit when MegaMan 1 came out.

Jesus I'm at a loss right now. Are people really that stupid?

Of course the graphics are going to look primitive compared to say...Oblivion or Halo3.

So that possibly was the reason they gave it only 3.0? ;)

BTW: I don't think the graphics score influenced the overall rating. I don't remember any original series Mega Man game ever getting more than 80% back in the day, so 8.6 seems rather nostalgia boosted.

Kinda hard to rate classic graphics in this day and age. Give it a low score and people complain that it's because you're comparing it to Halo. Give it a high score and people complain that the person is crazy to give old graphics a high score. Give it a high score comparing it to graphics on the original system (in this case NES) and people complain how stupid that is because no one plays those old games anymore anyway.

So, no matter what you do, people complain. So if that's the case, I'd probably just give it a 10 in graphics just to tick everyone off. :D

I downloaded the game off of WiiWare today. Suffice it to say, it's kicking my ass. And I already know the boss order! :lol:

Honestly, I'm absolutely loving this. Not only is this game everything that made the originals great (including TONS of cheap deaths!), but it's so wonderful to have a vibrant community around these games again. I love these old titles, but sometimes it's hard to keep going after that 50 billionth death because you know that there's very few people who are going to care. "Old stuff, pops."

But not with MM9. This title has shot straight up to the #1 spot on the WiiWare Channel in only one day! If that's not a record, I don't know what is! Which means that there are plenty of great folks to exchange information and tales with. People to actually impress with our game playing skills.

(puffs up chest)

God, it's great to be a classic gamer today!

--

Oh, almost forgot. I made up a "Everything you ever wanted to know about Mega Man 9" set of articles. It has the game's background, information on the Item Shop, the list of upcoming DLC, the Boss Order, Robot Master Profiles, etc, etc, etc. Be warned, though! SPOILERS AHEAD!