IGNORED

Who else is playing Mega Man 9?

Atari Master

My roommate bought MM9 on his Wii yesterday, and we have an agreement that he will play it all by himself first, and when he's done with it, I'll play it on my own. That way, I'll be able to experience the game without any spoilers (aside from a few spoilers I stumbled upon these past few weeks on the net).

I'm swamped with work at the office right now, and I'll be doing lots of overtime this week, so my roomate will really have MM9 all to himself. It goes without saying that I can hardly wait for my chance to play. :)

I have three complaints about Mega Man 9, in order of least to greatest annoyance.

1. Bug in weapons select screen

Sometimes, it seems that simply directing the cursor to the weapon is enough to equip it. Other times, you have to press the fire button to equip weapons. I wish it would be consistent. The NES games (4-6) did not require the fire button to be pressed.

2. Lack of Gamecube controller support

I have a Hori Digital-Only Gamecube pad that I was looking forward to playing this game with. Unfortunately, it does not support any Gamecube controllers. This includes old controllers attached via a Retroport from retrozone. When the game was first released yesterday, Nintendo included the Gamecube controller on the Wiiware page. They since removed it. I downloaded my copy before they removed it, and if I had nothing else to do, I may bug them for some kind of relief. This is not a huge deal because the game plays very well with a Classic Controller. (Try Control Option 2).

3. Lack of Progressive Scan support

This is extremely disappointing. Mega Man 9 only supports 480i, not 480p. The resolution of any US NES game is 256x240 and they all ran at 60Hz. This was the progressive scan of its day, and every console with a vertical resolution equal to or lower than 240 pixels displayed in 60Hz. As a consequence, the graphics look shaky and less distinct compared to the real NES output. A NES using composite output is superior video quality-wise with the Wii using composite output. Both the Gamecube and Wii are quite capable of supporting 240p as shown in The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition and Virtual Console titles. I wonder whether this is the same on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game.

Actually all these bugs are just things that I would've expected in the game, not so much what I'd chalk up as a bug.

Since it's known the game is based on the first two Mega Man titles, it was somewhat surprising to see the menu screen from the last three NES titles, 4-6, appear in the game. I would've figured they would go with the menu as it appeared somewhat in Mega Man 2 myself. Still, as it's based on the newer menu screen, it's no surprise that simply highlighting a weapon and pressing start would select the weapon the same as pressing A does.

I also saw the GameCube controller icon, but you are right in the support wasn't included for it. I figure that was a flub on the part of Nintendo on the download screen more than anything, though GameCube controller would be nice. Still, as an NES game, the Wii Remote turned sideways gives ample support for the game.

Your note of lack of progressive scan, however. My sentiments exactly. Another odd thing is that in widescreen mode, the game detects this and shifts to a sidebar layout on the screen. I would've much preferred 480p support and have the game adjust the screen back to standard 4:3 since it's a 4:3 game anyway.

One other tiny nitpicky thing, though not a major issue, was the fade-outs used throughout the game. The NES could only change the color pallets to simulate a fade-to-black or fade-from-black effect on the screen, but this game uses the modern hardware to do this directly. Would've been more NES-like to have done it the old-fashioned way there. Other than that, though, the game plays like any other NES game you would come across. So it's still a good one in my playbook. :D

3. Lack of Progressive Scan support

This is extremely disappointing. Mega Man 9 only supports 480i, not 480p. The resolution of any US NES game is 256x240 and they all ran at 60Hz. This was the progressive scan of its day, and every console with a vertical resolution equal to or lower than 240 pixels displayed in 60Hz. As a consequence, the graphics look shaky and less distinct compared to the real NES output. A NES using composite output is superior video quality-wise with the Wii using composite output. Both the Gamecube and Wii are quite capable of supporting 240p as shown in The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition and Virtual Console titles. I wonder whether this is the same on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game.

I can tell you from personal experience with the Mega Man X collection, 240p is NOT supported by Component cables on the Wii. If Nintendo released this game in 240p, the result would be disastrous for those with HD sets.

While 480p would have been preferable(is it so hard to double the scanlines?) I still get an excellent signal out of my Wii. The graphics are extremely crisp to the point where I can almost make out too much detail. (We take for granted how much CRT blurring helped anti-alias graphics back in the day.)

That being said, the NES was certainly not capable of the graphics used in this game. They did a good job of evoking the sense of NES-style graphics, but the bright blues and purples were simply not part of the NES's ruddy color palette. Plus, the flicker is nowhere near as bad as the real thing got. (Probably a good thing.) So I'm reasonably happy with the graphics. They look a lot better than anything my NES in the corner puts out. :)

That being said, the NES was certainly not capable of the graphics used in this game. They did a good job of evoking the sense of NES-style graphics, but the bright blues and purples were simply not part of the NES's ruddy color palette. Plus, the flicker is nowhere near as bad as the real thing got. (Probably a good thing.) So I'm reasonably happy with the graphics. They look a lot better than anything my NES in the corner puts out. :)

I also noticed the slightly more vibrant colors. Flicker was less noticeable as I didn't recall that much flicker in the first two NES games (but geez there was a lot in the others). Still, with the proper set of color substituted, I don't see that the game still couldn't be reasonably doable on the NES.

Well given someone with access to the Mega Man 2 source code and a lot of free time on their hands. :P

I also noticed the slightly more vibrant colors. Flicker was less noticeable as I didn't recall that much flicker in the first two NES games (but geez there was a lot in the others). Still, with the proper set of color substituted, I don't see that the game still couldn't be reasonably doable on the NES.

Well, you'd have to completely swap out the Galaxy Man background (too much detailed animation) and Tornado Man's background would look like crud after you finished down-sampling those colors. Perhaps just remove the animated aspects altogether. Galaxy Man himself would need to figure out a color, and Plug Man (not to mention Plug Ball Mega Man) would need to ditch the pink for a more purplish color.

I'm sure it's *possible*, but the end result probably wouldn't be worth the trouble. Personally, I'm rather partial to the subtle upgrades. Jewel Man's stage, for example, looks absolutely GORGEOUS. If the NES could have done that, the marketing would have been "Nintendo does would Segain't." :P

Well, you'd have to completely swap out the Galaxy Man background (too much detailed animation) and Tornado Man's background would look like crud after you finished down-sampling those colors. Perhaps just remove the animated aspects altogether. Galaxy Man himself would need to figure out a color, and Plug Man (not to mention Plug Ball Mega Man) would need to ditch the pink for a more purplish color.

I'm sure it's *possible*, but the end result probably wouldn't be worth the trouble. Personally, I'm rather partial to the subtle upgrades. Jewel Man's stage, for example, looks absolutely GORGEOUS. If the NES could have done that, the marketing would have been "Nintendo does would Segain't." :P

Actually a lot of that stuff was pulled off in Mega Man V, or so I thought. Now we might be discussing the differences between what's possible in the engine for Mega Man 2 and the later titles. If that's the case, I'm wearing my beanie cap with a propellor on top because I understand little about NES programming (though I do have a masters in computer science, it's all modern stuff for me, mostly). The Galaxy Man stage is somewhat in question, although you could probably do a non-animated background and still capture the feeling of the stage.

At any rate, the clouds in Tornado Man's level seem entirely possible to me. They appear to have very similar animation to the clouds in Gyro Man's stage (MM5). Also, the palette changes exhibited in Jewel Man's stage are very similar to the same palette changes in Crystal Man's stage (MM5), albeit that the colors in MM9 are much more vibrant. It would require a change in the artwork for the tiles, of course, but that shouldn't be difficult to do either. That, and a decent enough color combination should be able to be found on the NES that would fit the bill nicely.

Of course I know it wouldn't be a 1:1 port, colors and everything. Nor is anybody out there fool enough to try it (patience-wise or with the stones to potentially face Capcom's legal team). But it seems like given enough time and talent, you could do an NES version that comes fairly close.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Goes without saying that I'm playing it and having a blast.

It's a bit humbling, actually. Normally I'm able to breeze through the original NES games in just under an hour or better. I figure that's mostly due to having memorized the games through the years. But now, here I am with a new game that's dishing out quite a challenge.

Easily this is the best $10 I've spent on WiiWare thus far, and I hope the trend continues in making new classics like this one. :)

Just be happy you're getting it at all. The game was supposed to be a Wii exclusive. Capcom appears to have changed their mind at the 11th hour. Had things gone slightly different, you would have had to buy a Wii! :P

Mega Man 9 - $10

Wii to play Mega Man 9 - $250

DLC for Mega Man 9 - $8

Telling your friends that you just Whomped Wily on super-crazy-ultra-mega-stupidly-hard mode? - Priceless

For everything else, there's MasterCard. :lol:

Alright, so I managed to play with MM9 for about 30 minutes earlier tonight, and all I can say for now is: OUCH! :x

I feel so naked without the slide move and the boostable Mega Buster! Talk about going back to one's roots! I only managed to beat Galaxy Man, and that's only because I managed to traverse his level and reach him. The other levels are pretty frustrating with loads of cheap hits and instant death traps. I'll play the game again later, but those first 30 minutes were kinda painful on my ego... :P

I downloaded the first level demo of it on PS3 today. My god, I knew it was old-school hard, but this is eating me alive. :)

Cool game though. Only slight gripe is that, while I love the 2D bitmappedness of it all, and the killer soundtrack, making it look EXACTLY as if it was running on a NES is, for me, a step too far. Still, as my lack of skill will no doubt demonstrate, I'm not the Mega Man target audience.

I liked Mega Man X. I didn't like the series so much. Mega Man X was an incredible evolution for the Blue Bomber. A move forward that increased his abilities and gave him a cool storyline to run with. Unfortunately, that "cool storyline" went the way of the generic Anime and quickly eclipsed the series with its annoying aspects.

Worse, the level design fell off like crazy. There simply wasn't the same inventiveness going on with the platforming. This made the whole series feel repetitive and boring.

I have the Mega Man X collection (mostly purchased to appease my young son), but it's not something I pull out very often.

Edited by jbanes

Well, I can't say I don't love it, because I do, and I've spent most of my free time all week on it. That said...

DAMN, couldn't they have had a LITTLE mercy on those stages? Almost every stage has a part that made me go WTF!? And the Tornado Man stage is really just too much. I wonder how much I'll be replaying the game just because this one stage sucks so much.

And the Robot Masters themselves were far too EASY. There wasn't a single one I couldn't defeat the first time I reached them. Heck, I beat six of them with the Mega Buster, and that's just wrong.

Still, the attention to detail shows that this was done by a team that truly appreciated the source material and it is absolutely a worthy entry in the series. Well worth $10.

Why do you think they made is so hard? IT sounds even harder than any of the prior Megamans.

For the same reason that they made the Mega Man X series increasingly harder over the years. At a certain point several years ago, reviewers in the gaming press were often complaining that the Mega Man games were too easy and somewhat uninspired. So Capcom listened and made the following sequels harder. Along the way, Capcom's developers failed to realize that the difficulty level of a Mega Man game is inversely proportionate to the joy of playing. If a game is really hard, then you may strive to finish it, but you won't feel like going through that ordeal again afterwards. I finished MMX5 only once, and didn't even bother to reach the final levels in MMX6 because of the insane difficulty level. I never gave MM7 a chance after getting burned with X5 and X6. They toned down the difficulty a little with MMX8, so that one was more enjoyable.

I haven't played with MM9 long enough to formulate a valid opinion about it, but I do hope that the difficulty level won't injure its replay value too much...

Mega Man 9 is hard, but Capcom learned from the previous games. Rather than presenting you with super-hard challenges that are difficult to pass every time, they focus more on the puzzling aspect that combines a mild challenge. As a result, you WILL get better at the levels through mere repetition. Plug Man's jump puzzles, for example, seemed so hard until I beat the level. Then I came back to grab power-ups and found that it was relatively easy to breeze through it.

In effect, you may die a LOT, but you make progress every time. And that progress is what separates a decent game from an incredible game. Even the poorest players (which I count myself among in my ripe old age of 'adult' :P) find solace in a game that allows them to improve.

Just a bit more practice, and I'll have Tornado Man burnt to a crisp! ;)

I guess I'm the only one who thought the Mega Man X series ruined the original spirit of the series.

You'd be wrong in that assumption. I never liked Mega Man X much... it's too dark, too extreme, and above all else, much too difficult.

Mega Man 9 was a little too tough for my tastes, but I did make it through the game with some persistence. Great ending, by the way!