IGNORED

ANTIC, A.N.A.L.O.G. pdf's...

dwhyte

See my post two above yours... I answered the question, and told where you can get others similar to that as well. On the link I gave, scroll down a little and you'll see the list of available ones.

To be fair, that link you posted doesn't have any links. Just a link to the root search page of the torrent portal being used, and gives a bunch of names the mags that are posted, but no torrent links. So you have to search the torrent site, which is a real pain in the ass for some things like RUN, that gives you 100's of hits but no matches (well, maybe it does, but after digging through half a dozen pages, I didn't feel like looking anymore).

This is slightly better: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php...a61c0a51ad2a2e1 - Has actual clickable links for a few of them.

To that end, RUN is the one I wanted most, and it figures that is the only being seeded by only 1 person at a whopping 0.2k/sec, and their's is only 75% complete. ETA: 9 weeks. :roll:

Would be nice if someone posted these to usenet or MediaFire. :ponder: :P

Okay, I agree, it would have been nice to have provided a link with links to the actual torrents... however, I'm not sure why you had the problem you had. I found all the ones I wanted in about 2 minutes total (actually probably less than that). Include the word Commodore or maybe magazine in your search, and they come right up. Just be a little more creative or specific with your Google search (I don't recommend using the torrent engine search, do something in Google like "torrent RUN Commodore magazine". Boom, there it is, first page. My answer could have been more user-friendly, but it's really more of a PEBCAK issue in one way or another. I gave all the info necessary for anyone to be able to find most of them quite easily. Sorry you had troubles. Hopefully this advice helps more in the future. But, thanks for providing the link with some other links to possibly help others.

As for the RUN magazine speed, the problem there also seems to be on your end. Mine's over half done after only about 12 hours. AND, it's uploading at an average of 10k/sec. So... I don't know how to help you there, other than maybe search for a different torrent, or try a different torrent program? I don't know...

Edited by Mirage1972

See my post two above yours... I answered the question, and told where you can get others similar to that as well. On the link I gave, scroll down a little and you'll see the list of available ones.

To be fair, that link you posted doesn't have any links. Just a link to the root search page of the torrent portal being used, and gives a bunch of names the mags that are posted, but no torrent links. So you have to search the torrent site, which is a real pain in the ass for some things like RUN, that gives you 100's of hits but no matches (well, maybe it does, but after digging through half a dozen pages, I didn't feel like looking anymore).

This is slightly better: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php...a61c0a51ad2a2e1 - Has actual clickable links for a few of them.

To that end, RUN is the one I wanted most, and it figures that is the only being seeded by only 1 person at a whopping 0.2k/sec, and their's is only 75% complete. ETA: 9 weeks. :roll:

Would be nice if someone posted these to usenet or MediaFire. :ponder: :P

Okay, I agree, it would have been nice to have provided a link with links to the actual torrents... however, I'm not sure why you had the problem you had. I found all the ones I wanted in about 2 minutes total (actually probably less than that). Include the word Commodore or maybe magazine in your search, and they come right up. Just be a little more creative or specific with your Google search (I don't recommend using the torrent engine search, do something in Google like "torrent RUN Commodore magazine". Boom, there it is, first page. My answer could have been more user-friendly, but it's really more of a PEBCAK issue in one way or another. I gave all the info necessary for anyone to be able to find most of them quite easily. Sorry you had troubles. Hopefully this advice helps more in the future. But, thanks for providing the link with some other links to possibly help others.

As for the RUN magazine speed, the problem there also seems to be on your end. Mine's over half done after only about 12 hours. AND, it's uploading at an average of 10k/sec. So... I don't know how to help you there, other than maybe search for a different torrent, or try a different torrent program? I don't know...

FWIW -- following the links to the archive brought my Anti-virus/Anti-Malware to life, saying there is an embedded Trojan. It could be a false alarm, but ...

-Larry

FWIW -- following the links to the archive brought my Anti-virus/Anti-Malware to life, saying there is an embedded Trojan. It could be a false alarm, but ...

-Larry

I didn't get that at all. There's nothing in the archives but PDF's, and in some cases the disk images and maybe a text file or two (or shouldn't be anything else anyway!). As always, if you download any executable, and you're not absolutely certain what it is, don't execute it. Also, it always helps to read the comments of any torrents before downloading (if there are any comments). As for the sites themselves, my prescans said it was safe for everything I clicked on. Very important to use all the different features of your anti-virus/anti-malware protection as you can, especially if you're using Windows. Stay safe, people! :)

Edited by Mirage1972

Where are these Gazette PDFs located? Are they downloadable somewhere?

BUMP

See my post two above yours... I answered the question, and told where you can get others similar to that as well. On the link I gave, scroll down a little and you'll see the list of available ones. I couldn't find a couple of the more obscure ones, but the more common ones were very easy to find.

So you did - thank you very much!!! :cool:

however, I'm not sure why you had the problem you had. I found all the ones I wanted in about 2 minutes total (actually probably less than that). Include the word Commodore or maybe magazine in your search, and they come right up. Just be a little more creative or specific with your Google search (I don't recommend using the torrent engine search, do something in Google like "torrent RUN Commodore magazine". Boom, there it is, first page.

Yeah, I tried google searching and only found one torrent, the same one listed on Lemon64. - http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4425493/RUN - Even TPB show only 2 people are currently seeding (and there are as of this morning and I'm getting around 2k/sec now).

Nothing wrong on my end or with my client that I can tell because other torrents (like PowerPlay) zipped through at over 250k/sec and I had it in just a few hours, and other non-related torrents have hit speeds of over 600k/sec.

Anywho, if there another torrent other then that one, I'd love to know about it, cuz I'm about ready to give up. :(

however, I'm not sure why you had the problem you had. I found all the ones I wanted in about 2 minutes total (actually probably less than that). Include the word Commodore or maybe magazine in your search, and they come right up. Just be a little more creative or specific with your Google search (I don't recommend using the torrent engine search, do something in Google like "torrent RUN Commodore magazine". Boom, there it is, first page.

Yeah, I tried google searching and only found one torrent, the same one listed on Lemon64. - http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4425493/RUN - Even TPB show only 2 people are currently seeding (and there are as of this morning and I'm getting around 2k/sec now).

Nothing wrong on my end or with my client that I can tell because other torrents (like PowerPlay) zipped through at over 250k/sec and I had it in just a few hours, and other non-related torrents have hit speeds of over 600k/sec.

Anywho, if there another torrent other then that one, I'd love to know about it, cuz I'm about ready to give up. :(

Well, as for the download speed, I don't necessarily mean a problem that you can do anything about. Sometimes, as you no doubt know, these things are just seemingly random. That's the same torrent I'm using, from piratebay, and right at this moment, that particular RUN torrent is coming down at 35k/second, and uploading at 15k/second. It was dl'ing faster this morning. So... I don't know what to tell you. Sorry you're having trouble. Once I have all of these (I only have RUN, Zzap 64 and Info to complete), maybe some of us can work something out with a different place to put them so everyone who wants them can get them. Right now I'm kinda busy, but something can probably be worked out.

FWIW, I'm using BitComet .70 on Windows (probably not current, but it's working, so why update it right now?!) on cable.

Can't believe I missed these :mad:

Does some kind soul fancy doing one of the following who received a copy of the discs (as long ThumpNugget doesn't mind of course!):

1. Making a torrent...

2. Uploading to Usenet...

3. Making copies of the disc and bunging em my way :D (with adequate recompense of course!)

My collection of the mags has stalled at the minute, with no sign of more copies coming up on eBay :(

Edit: I'm talking about the Antic collection of course :)

Edited by NuY

FWIW, I'm using BitComet .70 on Windows (probably not current, but it's working, so why update it right now?!) on cable.

I'm using ABC 2.6.9. Very old, but works.

Anywho, I just tried BitComet .70, and it's exactly the same. 2 seeds, 5 peers, about 2k/sec. Ah well.... :|

BTW, don't upgrade to the newer BitComet. I first tried 1.07 (the newest) and it's buggy and slow. Wants to install a new web browser. Couldn't even get it to download any torrent at all. Where as the .70 version you use worked right off the bat with no BS.

Edit: BTW, I'm on Comcast cable.

Edited by Artlover

Anywho, I just tried BitComet .70, and it's exactly the same. 2 seeds, 5 peers, about 2k/sec. Ah well.... :|

BTW, don't upgrade to the newer BitComet. I first tried 1.07 (the newest) and it's buggy and slow. Wants to install a new web browser. Couldn't even get it to download any torrent at all. Where as the .70 version you use worked right off the bat with no BS.

Edit: BTW, I'm on Comcast cable.

See?! That's why I always hesitate to upgrade when things are working great. Glad I stuck with my MO on that one! If I were you, I'd just let it sit for awhile. Maybe it will kick in. RUN is still going, now at 25 down, 10 up for me. Maybe it'll kick in for you later tonight.

Atari Magazines dot com is a great site...

I agree...

The site is a fantastic idea, but the site is riddled with advertisements (although I understand why, to combat costs) and the OCR'd pages are overrun with typos :( Kevin needs to get some people to spot check and correct errors within the documents. Type-in listings have to be totally correct.

Kevin has done a great service to the classic computer by all the great work he has performed. He just needs people to help out with quality control.

I have a few issues of ANALOG in the basement, so I'm willing to scan a few to help out.

Fuji-Man

The site is a fantastic idea, but the site is riddled with advertisements (although I understand why, to combat costs) and the OCR'd pages are overrun with typos :( Kevin needs to get some people to spot check and correct errors within the documents. Type-in listings have to be totally correct.

Kevin has done a great service to the classic computer by all the great work he has performed. He just needs people to help out with quality control.

I have a few issues of ANALOG in the basement, so I'm willing to scan a few to help out.

Fuji-Man

I think you are being a little excessive when you say "the OCR'd pages are overrun with typos". Sure, there some errors but that's going a little to far. Maybe you might want to help him out by ocring and htmling some books or magazines but something tells me not.

Allan

I started scanning my Antics October 11th. So far I've completed through Volume 4 Issue 6 (except Vol 2 Issue 1 which has not arrived in the mail yet). Unfortunately I have to destroy the magazines (slice of one side) to scan them. I can't tell you how much it hurts to slice the sides off... I use a 90 pound paper slicer with a 17 inch blade that can cut phone books in half...

:( I could never do that to my magazines. I'm doing the same thing with my ST magazine collection, but I'm not chopping the binding off, so all the scans have the binding shown. This is one case where magazines like Atari Explorer (which are held together by staples instead of a glued binding) are better since they are easier to place on the scanning bed. I scan 11x17 (2 pages at a time) since it's less scanning work. One road bump in my scans is that they are all in JPEG because the high-speed scanner I use only saves color scans to JPEG. Black and white scans are saved in TIFF. I guess it's to not overload the network. :P

I don't have every issue though so my library is full of missing issues. However, I still feel these articles, ads and everything should be archived for safekeeping. I mean, we can still buy computers and stuff from Best, B&C, eBay, etc, but not magazines which have a lot of great info.

:( I could never do that to my magazines. I'm doing the same thing with my ST magazine collection, but I'm not chopping the binding off, so all the scans have the binding shown. This is one case where magazines like Atari Explorer (which are held together by staples instead of a glued binding) are better since they are easier to place on the scanning bed. I scan 11x17 (2 pages at a time) since it's less scanning work. One road bump in my scans is that they are all in JPEG because the high-speed scanner I use only saves color scans to JPEG. Black and white scans are saved in TIFF. I guess it's to not overload the network. :P

I don't have every issue though so my library is full of missing issues. However, I still feel these articles, ads and everything should be archived for safekeeping. I mean, we can still buy computers and stuff from Best, B&C, eBay, etc, but not magazines which have a lot of great info.

I understand how you feel... But looking at the material for Atari magazines and books you are talking at least 35,000+ plus pages to scan them all (never mind the magazines like Compute!, Softside, Family Computing, etc). Any hope of making a dent in getting that much scanned requires a system that requires as little work as possible.

Having each sheet in a separate page protector in a large folder makes it really nice to read anyway.. I can lay down on the carpet and not have to hold pages down or worry about damaging the magazine. This way not only are they being preserved they are being enjoyed :)

Edited by ThumpNugget

Obvious question but are you sure you have your firewall set to allow *incoming* connections from peers on say ports 50,000-60,000 ?? I tried the RUN magazine torrent with the ports blocked and was getting next to nothing.. Turn them on and I'm not blazing fast but currently averaging 90 kB/s on the RUN mags and about 150 kB/s on the Gazette magazines... If any of the seeds/peers block incoming request (router default) and your router firewall does as well you can never exchange any of the content data with that particular seed/peer... at least one side has to allow it.

ThumpNugget,

I too went out to the mailbox today, and lo and behold there was my copy. I am sitting here reading as we speak. I wanted to say thanks. It looks awesome, and now I don't have to dig through my closet..

Kudos on an excellent job!

Maybe it'll kick in for you later tonight.

Well, a week later. That torrent had been dead for the last 3 days with only 34% complete.

Ended up finding another torrent finally. Still using TPB as the traccker, but it's a different archive (which sorta sucks because I can't copy what as already dl'ed on the other one over). Anywho. This is is wildly inconsistant, sometimes peaking at 50k/s down, sometimes dead for hours. Been running it for about a day, and it's at 11%. :x :sad:

Boy I hate torrents.

Wow, that's too bad. Typical for torrents to be so inconsistent though. Mine all finished a couple hours after I last posted about it above and I seeded for several days afterward.

You mentioned possibly other options for uploading these things somewhere? What are those options (be as specific as you can, meaning point me to the right place), and if it's something I can reasonably do this week, I'll give it a shot. Also, tell me which ones you need the most.

These are the ones I have (I have a lot of others too, but these are the major ones):

Ahoy!

Commodore Magazine

Commodore Power-Play

Commodore World

Compute II

Computer & Video Games (UK)

ComputerGamer (UK)

Compute's Gazette

Die Hard (incomplete)

Home Computing Weekly (UK)

Info

RUN

Zzap64

Edited by Mirage1972

Well, if you really want to give it a try, I sure would appericate it. :cool:

Just the "RUN Magazine" set. I got all the other ones I wanted with no problems.

I would have said post to usenet (alt.binaries.ebook or alt.binaries.ebooks), but actually, I'm having issues with that too. Seeing as how I still don't have a job, and no money, I'm not paying for service and most of the good free providers I use(d) are OOS right now. So that's out. :(

Only other thing would be posting them to a web fileshare service like MediaFire or MegaDownload (NOT RapidShare). Make a multi volume RAR archive out of them (100 megs per file for MediaFire, 250megs per file for MegaDownload). Doubt PDF's would compress much, so probably no point using any kind of compression factors. I'd suggest using MediaFire myself. They have NO LIMITS at all beyond per-file size for free users, so even with dealing with something like 44 seperate files, it would still be far easier and much faster for you to upload there then to any other web filesharing service. (MediaFire free accounts have no limits on number of files uploaded, no server storage limits, no bandwidth limits, no timers/delays, allows concurrent transfers - Like I said, only limit is each file has to be limited to 100 megs {more specificly, 100,000,000 bytes so 99.x megs})

Tho this 2nd torrent is still puttering along, slowly. It's up to 22.1% done now after just a couple of days. So I'm holding out hope that in another 4 or 5 days, this one might finish. :ponder:

Just got mine today. Awesome package. Here's a disk directory in WinXP of the issues:

Sweet! I like the thumbnail view.. I do everything with text only so I had not viewed it like that..

Finally finished up scanning these today :)

post-12606-1232229927_thumb.jpg

This is the full set thanks to Fuji-Man who broke open his Analog issue #1 and scanned it! Thanks thanks thanks!

I'm just guessing on the dates for issues 4-9 as they only have the year.. I Don't suppose anyone knows the actual dates?

Edited by ThumpNugget