IGNORED

GTIA soundcard

xxl

please, i know that pokey/ay/sid are better sound chip than GTIA :D but in this topic we are play on GTIA.

ok. next zx spectrum music is from TDM, plays on 3 channels, attack, decay, volume control, no samples!:

http://atari.pl/follininsane.mp3 (new) play on GTIA

compare this to: http://atari.pl/tim.mp3 and http://atari.pl/follincore.mp3

if you find in internet another follins tune (or on follin play routine tune) take a link.

who knows maybe we can do editor for this kind of music.

that sounds cool... so in theory there are still all 4 channels of pokey left? how much cpu?

I remember there was a drums demo on Atari 8-bit that played different drums in a beat with screen on and it sounded like drums were sampled audio (like Sonix does on Amiga) rather than POKEY generated music.

Drums is no problem. With 3kHz sampling you get the main frequency plus the harmonics. In some demos you have drums played by the VBI and it was clear enough. You can also use Pokey's generators, but 50Hz VBI is a bit slow for it.

To the topic: No Problem with using GTIA for samples. Why not using this feature for drums , leaving the 4 channels of Pokey for "doing everything"....

If you give an example of drums on POKEY w/o samples, perhaps someone can convert it to GTIA version...

It would be great if it's possible to add some GTIA sound as a 5th channel to the 4 ch Pokey tracks. Even for simple clicks it would be useful for rhythm etc. I've never touched anything with the GTIA sound myself so I'm unaware of how taxing it is. It could be the base for some great new title screen music if it's possible. I'd definately get into that.

I have consider the ideal of using the GTIA sound for a 5th channel myself for simple sound effects, like explosions, gun shots, or anything that is not a pure tone. RMT music tracks can be 4 channels and does not leave anything for game sound effects. Usually we have to set a channel aside just for sound effects, having the GTIA channel is a viable option. Something I have always wondered about is how often do you need to write to this register. If its only a few times during a VBI, then it should not be a problem.

It's a case of even more often than for doing Pokey digital sound.

As you'd probably have experienced, 4 KHz is about the acceptable minimum to plug direct volume values into Pokey if you're doing 4 bit sound.

CONSOL is only 1 bit sound, and doing PWM effects is extremely CPU intensive.

I've also tried just doing 1 bit sound, ie just treat values >8 as 1 and <8 as 0, but you're probably looking at one store per scanline for any sort of quality there.

Depends on the effect you're after too - if it's just some sort of low pitched hum you're after, you could probably get away with a couple of dozen stores per frame.

my very early version of jetboy has sound efect play on gtia
That was really neat emuating the original zx sound with the earlier conversion. I guess you decided to drop the GTIA sounds when you moved on to revamp Jetpac to it's final release version with Pokey RMT music. Edited by Tezz

As you'd probably have experienced, 4 KHz is about the acceptable minimum to plug direct volume values into Pokey if you're doing 4 bit sound.

Thanks for the info, I suspected that might be the case when I was thinking about it
Depends on the effect you're after too - if it's just some sort of low pitched hum you're after, you could probably get away with a couple of dozen stores per frame.
I think any use of the extra channel for sfx in a way that's viable without too many cycles used is good, perhaps it could be put to nice use in some game situations with some creativity. It'd sure be nice as mentioned above to have sfx (even v simple) not interupting the 4 ch pokey.

I've also tried just doing 1 bit sound, ie just treat values >8 as 1 and <8 as 0, but you're probably looking at one store per scanline for any sort of quality there.

PCs did all sorts of music with 1-bit sound; digitized samples are CPU intensive but music notes should work okay.

no! pokey/sid/ay have volume levels and you can play samples eg. 15,14,15,14... you got somting 14.5... but gtia have 1bit so: 1,0,1,0 - 0,5 ? heh no...

on powerfull cpu with 1-bit you can generate multichannels with any wave:

1bit.jpg

Edited by xxl

is the mentioned sample dithering similar to the GTIA sound?

http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/c=hacking11.txt

It's not as good as a 100% accurate DAC but the faster you can modify the bits in the DAC port, the better the simulation of higher bit depth.

It also depends on how circuitry for the speaker out is constructed how many intermediate levels can be simulated.

no! pokey/sid/ay have volume levels and you can play samples eg. 15,14,15,14... you got somting 14.5... but gtia have 1bit so: 1,0,1,0 - 0,5 ? heh no...

on powerfull cpu with 1-bit you can generate multichannels with any wave:

1bit.jpg

But accuracy decreases with more bit depth and higher frequency of samples to playback.

I remember PC DAC simulator could only do about 64 levels at around 11Khz sampling rate and the levels dropped as the sampling rate increased.

Hi XXL,

This is cool stuff and the Tim Follin tracks sound really great. And full respect for the stuff of Mister Beep. What I'm wondering is, if there really is a big difference between using POKEY AUDCx direct volume control (as 1 bit) or GITA CONSOL as 1 bit. From the schematics I don't see any circuitry that should change the attack/decay in a different way (there is only one more op-amp in between).

post-17404-1231879055_thumb.png

But a don't have a scope to check and my XL is 105 miles away until the weekend.

Regards, Peter/JAC!

> if there really is a big difference between using POKEY AUDCx direct volume control (as 1 bit) or GITA CONSOL as 1 bit.

try this: http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5909 - you can choice output POKEY/GTIA

btw. today i rewrite Zilog's 4-channel player (with patterns - tracker player?). mp3 soon.