IGNORED

GTIA soundcard

xxl

xxl...so in theory...is there enough cpu time left for a mpt/tmc/rmt running in the back?

this would mean:

4 channels Pokey+3 channels gtia?

This combination will not work, I guess. But 4 channels with one GTIA channel might work fine together.

But, to keep some more real facts....

We may never have the possibility of creating tunes with this combination. It's like to hope for mountain walking over waters ;)

Just an example:

While people from the Atari scene ever said "this or that is not possible", some guy from the Speccy side tells us the truth...

Well, the "slow" C64 plays 4 channel mods with a soundchip that doesn't even have 4 channels, while on the A8 no Tracker exists that neither keeps the rules for playing music nor offers the simplest functions of POKEY... not even to talk about a POKEY-GTIA tracker...

:ponder:

> is there enough cpu time left for a mpt/tmc/rmt running in the back?

no, only custom player for pokey..

> 4 channels Pokey+3 channels gtia?

maybe 1 x POKEY + 6xGTIA (3 synth ch, 1 drum ch, 1 speak ch, 1 samples ch) - madness? yes, maybe... but others (not for atari do even more) :/

> This combination will not work, I guess.

maybe not, but if screen OFF atari have enough power to do it.... but maybe not... who knows...

today 3 GTIA channels player with digi instruments, so finally good bassss on GTIA ;-)

http://atari.pl/v8.mp3

...maybe not, but if screen OFF atari have enough power to do it.... but maybe not... who knows...
will you be finding out?
today 3 GTIA channels player with digi instruments, so finally good bassss on GTIA ;-)
This is great, I like where this is going.

RE: custom Pokey routines.. are you still thinking about the GTIA/Pokey tracker, that would be very cool.

Edited by Tezz

A full-screen (240 line) wide DMA mode bitmap hires pic would provide about the most stable display... the DMA hits become consistent (almost), the only jitter being the Refresh cycles and the somewhat smaller offscreen horizontal region where the only DMA is for the DList.

Probably means only 1 or 2 simulated voices though, and at reduced quality.

Also, you'd need to cater for the 22 or 72 scanlines where the CPU runs uninhibited, other than Refresh cycles.

http://atari.pl/v8.mp3

Sounds great - I would have never guessed sounds like this were possible with the GTIA. I remember a demo from the late 1980s. It turned the screen DMA off, had a dark green background color, and played the Beatle's song Yestaday in "stereo". The GTIA provided the alternate channel, but it was just a single "beep" tone. Nothing like this. Midnight Magic was really scratchy as well. Great work.

Stephen Anderson

You can! my player can load music from these editors:

image007.gif

image008.gif

The Music Studio © 1989 - 2 channels and not the best drums.

image017.gif

ZX-7 Polyphonic Musical Instrument © 1988

Although it has no drums (only tones), this program makes from one BEEPER’s channel – 8 channels

image019.gif

image020.gif

3 Channel Synthesiser, also called Music Synth © 1989

Theoretically it’s impossible to make any envelopes, delays and stuff in case of one-bit sound.

Surprisingly this program allows to make them. Also it has 3 channels (including editable drums / noises).

image021.gif

image022.gif

SAMPLE TRACKER V2.0 © 1993

MOD for BEEPER? Almost. :) This tracker has 3 digital channels, it supports ‘D/A 8BIT’ sound-card for ZX/TIMEX,

or regular AY chip (then you have 4-bit sound),but if you have only ZX/TIMEX with 48Kb of RAM and BEEPER – it STILL WORKS NORMALLY! (With 1-bit quality of course).

Edited by xxl