IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

A "brute" background correction would help.

When using a charset movement, with player underlays, the most work is done ...

Building the Background in the same style: Charmode with Player underlay, makes it possible to use the simple PRIOR feature to have the Player in front of the background objects.

If the "fighter" crosses the background objects, simple charmode movement has to be used. After every chamode movement, a small routine could check if some background is overlaid. Then the routine could check which chars are the "borders" of the overlapping and mix the bits in the necessary chars... and restores them.

Another possibility:

Using chamode movement and create a small range of multiplexed PMg, where the fighters cross the background. It may cost 5-10% of the CPU speed, but you don't have to check any background overlay...

The socket of the bhudda is easy to create via PMg, probably with "other" details then. Or say it in other words: What are those drawers in the socket?

A "brute" background correction would help.

When using a charset movement, with player underlays, the most work is done ...

Building the Background in the same style: Charmode with Player underlay, makes it possible to use the simple PRIOR feature to have the Player in front of the background objects.

If the "fighter" crosses the background objects, simple charmode movement has to be used. After every chamode movement, a small routine could check if some background is overlaid. Then the routine could check which chars are the "borders" of the overlapping and mix the bits in the necessary chars... and restores them.

Another possibility:

Using chamode movement and create a small range of multiplexed PMg, where the fighters cross the background. It may cost 5-10% of the CPU speed, but you don't have to check any background overlay...

The socket of the bhudda is easy to create via PMg, probably with "other" details then. Or say it in other words: What are those drawers in the socket?

fantastic sounds like a plan! how long would it take u to get a demo ready?

Steve

aehm....

look at International Karate and all is done... IK A8 uses char soft sprite routine...

Hm.... I guess it could be funny to see a hacked version of IK including such underlayed PM objects... :ponder:

Some guys really talk about the A8, thinking there is no sprite at all ;)

It's only the question: How much objects could be added to the overlaid range before the gameplay gets slower.

The Amstrad CPC has 16 colours on screen on the 160 mode. The reason they put the players in a large area without drawings (only that man and the 2 anymals) it's because they don't have sprites. It's simple in this way to do the players as software sprites and the correspondent masks.

José Pereira

Doesn't really make any difference how much clutter is in the background if you're doing masking in a bitmap mode, the time overhead would be the same.

Charmode slightly different... you assign character "00" as blank, then you know if you're going on top of that, you can render that part without masking.

But, if you were doing 2 players with no backgrounds, you could render the "behind" player first without masking, then do the "front" player.

Yes, but too numerous to mention

Look at hte picture below....

The right side of the screen:

Up to 16 colours, 3 colours for the 3D gamescreen, up to 6 calculated layers... some additional details have been build

The left side of the screen:

Up to 48 colours, 4 colours for the 3D gamescreen, up to 7 calculated layers.... additional details are missing....

Which one is the older machine?

Is that one screen shot or two side by side?

There are interesting algorithms to do horizontal split screens with different palettes/colors.

Returning to Exploding fist, I will like to see an A8 version. But what it has that makes a difference? I like to see all games of Melbourne House, Ocean, Virgin, Activision,... on A8!... But it's not possible.

I just see some videos of it on YouTube, I see only 4 screens (3 outdoor and 1 indoor). As I remember, from a Spanish Magazine (MicroMania) I saw more 2 ones (with Anghkor Temple and other in the Jungle with a Bambu house). If someone will port this game, please find these 2 pictures, and why not take more from other games, or create new ones.

José Pereira.

Returning to Exploding fist, I will like to see an A8 version. But what it has that makes a difference? I like to see all games of Melbourne House, Ocean, Virgin, Activision,... on A8!... But it's not possible.

I just see some videos of it on YouTube, I see only 4 screens (3 outdoor and 1 indoor). As I remember, from a Spanish Magazine (MicroMania) I saw more 2 ones (with Anghkor Temple and other in the Jungle with a Bambu house). If someone will port this game, please find these 2 pictures, and why not take more from other games, or create new ones.

José Pereira.

The two other pictures were from Fist 2 afaik Fist only has 4 backgrounds.

Fist is one of my favorite ever games and it's one I might have a go at porting (amongst lots of other stuff I'd like to do). I'd spoken to Ste last night on MSN about the possibility of doing it and I'd come to the conclusion that software sprites with PMGs underlaid for colour then colour splits and PMGs for the background colours. It's all very feasible but when you start to do it I can almost guarantee it being more complex than you think when you start ;) Once again (seemingly a necessity for the A8 at least in my mind) you need a dedicated graphics app/converter that would give you the control you need to build a background using some "tricks" but need to take into account the PMGs you're using for the 2 players.

You'd have 2 more 8xsreen height (expandable to 32x) and the missiles 2x (up to 8x). Then when your background is drawn using these methods, drawing the players over the background becomes trivial again.

Pete

Edited by PeteD

PeteD that 2 screens I saw in MicroMania magazine I think they were from Fist (the 1st version).

I think only that 4 screens are boring. If someone will put his fingers on this, more are welcome, like IK.

I taked this,

CPC version

And this about the player's movement (the sames apllys to enemy, just change clothe+head shape):

PeteD that 2 screens I saw in MicroMania magazine I think they were from Fist (the 1st version).

I think only that 4 screens are boring. If someone will put his fingers on this, more are welcome, like IK.

I taked this,

CPC version

And this about the player's movement (the sames apllys to enemy, just change clothe+head shape):

The Ruined anghor temple and the strange vietnam looking bamboo house were part of the 2 player game packaged as part of Fist II along with the main adventure game. (this game and fist+ were poor shadows of the original)

the thing that Fist has that sets it apart from IK is that Fist is FAR more of a 2 player experience because its gameplay is slightly slower than IK and the players are able to block far more effectively (both because the blocking code works much better and because the animation is slightly slower and lets u anticipate an attack)

its much more of a tactical 2 player game than a joystick thrash like IK.

Steve

Just to go totally off subject here but..

I vote this thread gets locked, a new thread with the original scope be opened (if anyone wants it still) of comparing games, not arguing about systems. And then we can start new threads on individual games that people want to talk about converting. Maybe a sub-forum for those?

This thread is far too massive for anyone to read and has so many threads in itself weaving around and talking about things that are not much to do with each other it'd be better to kill it.

Pete

Just to go totally off subject here but..

I vote this thread gets locked, a new thread with the original scope be opened (if anyone wants it still) of comparing games, not arguing about systems. And then we can start new threads on individual games that people want to talk about converting. Maybe a sub-forum for those?

This thread is far too massive for anyone to read and has so many threads in itself weaving around and talking about things that are not much to do with each other it'd be better to kill it.

Pete

I would visit such topic :)

It is true that there is to much of 'versus' in this one...

So what would be the title of topic ?

"Games you would like to be converted to A8 ?"

Fist is one of my favorite ever games and it's one I might have a go at porting (amongst lots of other stuff I'd like to do). I'd spoken to Ste last night on MSN about the possibility of doing it and I'd come to the conclusion that software sprites with PMGs underlaid for colour then colour splits and PMGs for the background colours. It's all very feasible but when you start to do it I can almost guarantee it being more complex than you think when you start ;) Once again (seemingly a necessity for the A8 at least in my mind) you need a dedicated graphics app/converter that would give you the control you need to build a background using some "tricks" but need to take into account the PMGs you're using for the 2 players.

You'd have 2 more 8xsreen height (expandable to 32x) and the missiles 2x (up to 8x). Then when your background is drawn using these methods, drawing the players over the background becomes trivial again.

Pete

You can use g2f to plan out your backgrounds Pete and also with your p/m usage in the game. g2f allows you to restrict the # of chars used in each font in the background gfx so that you have chars set aside (the # that you have determined in advance) for your software sprite usage.

It would be great if you are able to begin the port/conversion of fist.

I had a better look at the c64 screen grabs earlier this afternoon on Lemon.