IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

so... at least we can all agree that the Amstrad CPC was a bit naff then?

Whilst I'm not mad about this machine (the colour saturation was right off the scale...great if you wanted to do pictures of nuclear reactor fuel!) I think it was also not coded for properly, most of their games were straight ports from the Timex/Sinclair source code as they shared the Z80.

One example is it has a near flawless conversion of Donkey Kong down to the pixel level, but still without decent hardware scrolling/sprites etc it was always tough to do good arcade games on beyond this early 80s era of things like Pacman and Donkey Kong etc in my opinion.

Whilst I'm not mad about this machine (the colour saturation was right off the scale...great if you wanted to do pictures of nuclear reactor fuel!) I think it was also not coded for properly, most of their games were straight ports from the Timex/Sinclair source code as they shared the Z80.

One example is it has a near flawless conversion of Donkey Kong down to the pixel level, but still without decent hardware scrolling/sprites etc it was always tough to do good arcade games on beyond this early 80s era of things like Pacman and Donkey Kong etc in my opinion.

One of the lame arguments Colecovision people make is that the game looks more like the arcade-- but no one cares about the looks if it plays with flickering motion, delayed collision detection, etc.

When people get to grips with the video controller some pretty cool stuff is possible on it..

Prehistoric II is a prime example of what it really can do when in the right hands :)

I've still no idea if this is real or not, but if it is then it dumps on most of the other home conversion from a great height..

It's a vastly under-estimated machine I think.. Of course there's a huge catalogue of duffers for it, but Prehistoric II and Street Fighter II both made me realise that it's a quite potent little machine..

It shares the 6845 VDC (along with the BBC and all PC video cards through from MDA to VGA/MCGA) and can be prodded into doing some very cool tricks, included in which is hardware scrolling and all manner of other 'odd' things ;)

If that SF-II is real then my soft spot for this weird little machine just got bigger ;)

Prehistoric II is CPC+, hardware scrolling, hardware sprites, dma sound, 4096 colours.

SFII I'm pretty sure a CPC loving friend of mine told me it was a fake which is a shame.

Pete

Bugger.. My warm soft spot for it has just dwindled into a damp ember now..

Okay, so maybe it is a bit naff then ;)

Prehistoric II is CPC+, hardware scrolling, hardware sprites, dma sound, 4096 colours.

SFII I'm pretty sure a CPC loving friend of mine told me it was a fake which is a shame.

Pete

Well, in some year we will see "A8" stuff with VBXE and the "Sound Board"... people will mix up that aswell, and everyone knows that the A8 could do so ;)

When people get to grips with the video controller some pretty cool stuff is possible on it..

Prehistoric II is a prime example of what it really can do when in the right hands :)

I've still no idea if this is real or not, but if it is then it dumps on most of the other home conversion from a great height..

It's a vastly under-estimated machine I think.. Of course there's a huge catalogue of duffers for it, but Prehistoric II and Street Fighter II both made me realise that it's a quite potent little machine..

It shares the 6845 VDC (along with the BBC and all PC video cards through from MDA to VGA/MCGA) and can be prodded into doing some very cool tricks, included in which is hardware scrolling and all manner of other 'odd' things ;)

If that SF-II is real then my soft spot for this weird little machine just got bigger ;)

aehm... what is the special on the cpc+ version? digi tracked music in the title screen? I can not see the 4096 colors... and when entering the game I still hear the ST-like YM chipsound? plus no realtime scrolling?

but well... ;)

aehm... what is the special on the cpc+ version? digi tracked music in the title screen? I can not see the 4096 colors... and when entering the game I still hear the ST-like YM chipsound? plus no realtime scrolling?

The colours are clearly there... not 4096 but a lot more than 16 ;) , and have a look at the smooth parallax. It seems to be superior to the AMIGA, because there is no colour reduce. well, no problem since the release in 1990 ;)

oh... and SF2 c64 version is "very good"... i love the char portraits and not to mention the ingame gfx... ;)

Das Spiel ist doch mal optisch so richtig fies. The music isn't that good aswell.

The Amstrad version shows, how much more "professional" 16 colour graphics can look like, if the palette is stretched to 27 colours.

The colours are clearly there... not 4096 but a lot more than 16 ;) , and have a look at the smooth parallax. It seems to be superior to the AMIGA, because there is no colour reduce. well, no problem since the release in 1990 ;)

You mean you need NVG to see the shades.

You mean you need NVG to see the shades.

I'm not sure what I have against the CPC to be honest. Either the fact it has a nice display but (at least prior to the CPC+) no realistic way of shifting it fast enough to use it to make a decent game (and if they did most people had the cheaper package with the greenscreen monitor anyhow which hampers colour choice).

Atari, C64... They have their strengths and flaws but at least people thought of putting *something* in there to acknowledge that a lowly 1/2mhz CPU can't move 16k of data around every frame on a whim and to help out in some way.

The other reason could be that I first played wizball on the CPC and thought it was a pile of crap, then saw the C64 version years later and realised I'd missed out on an awesome game all this time.

As comedian Frankie Boyle said on Mock the Week, Alan Sugar made his money by producing the 3rd best selling home computer and the 2nd best satellite dish, and there were only two of them, and yet he fires someone from the team that comes 2nd :)

Pete

16k for screen was just too much for 8bit cpu...

A8 and C64 with their few Kb display modes and hardware scrolling were able to move screen fast enough...

But look at speccy Street Fighter... For me it is good enough conversion... I like it more than C64s :)

CPC Final Fight shows how can 160x200 16 color game look like, but speed is the problem...

And graphics was converted from 16bit machines... with more hand pixeling it could been much nicer...

I'm not sure what I have against the CPC to be honest. Either the fact it has a nice display but (at least prior to the CPC+) no realistic way of shifting it fast enough to use it to make a decent game

For scrolling, the stock CPC has the option of hammering the CTRC (in almost the same way as the BBC Micro coders did and indeed do, Fire Track for example) but, as oky2000 said, most commercial coders were too busy porting Spectrum code to actually use that side of the hardware properly; horizontal scrolling examples with 25FPS to 50FPS frame rates are Fres Attack, Zarkon, Savage, Killer Cobra or recently by Star Sabre, vertical scrolling the same way is done by Warhawk or Mission Genocide and Fly Spy or Bio Spheres do multi-direction with it if memory serves although the latter looks better cycling around the map in attract mode than when the game is actually playing.

Regards Street Fighter.. On the A8, doing the parallax floor bit, ie changing the scroll on every line to somewhere over a 2 screen wide area, I assume that's very easily possible ? Just changing the scroll registers each line I mean ?

I do like those kind of floors and it's always bugged me that on the 64 that it's a bloody nightmare to do that kind of thing without burning through all the sprites, so much so that I've never seen anything beyond a space harrier like floor.. I know there's lot of parallax demos and things, but I mean properly in the style of SFII with a true background image, and changing the scrolls every raster-line..

On the A8 is it really just as simple as changing x-scroll on each line and having a wider screen ? Or are there technical reasons why it's not viable? Any demos that show this kind of thing off ?

And also, is there any reason why when jumping and the screen scrolls it wouldn't be possible to introduce a height perspective effect in this, by changing screen addresses on each raster line to get the shrinking, stretching of the floor ?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I've only a fleeting idea of the A8s hardware, and from what I've read and heard, I'm guessing it's pretty easily doable ?

Just curious, as after looking at the street fighter on the Amstrad for the first time in ages now my brain is full of thoughts of SFII with big sprites, and that lovely floor ;)