IGNORED

Lynx Adapter

Jakenut86

I have been talking about the super gameboy recently and was thinking it would be cool to have this type of thing for the Jaguar, it would add alot of new games to play on it :) . Would it be possible to create a Lynx game adapter for the Jag?

While I don't know so much about this, I still think it would be neat if you could wire a Lynx up as a controller for the Jaguar. There was talk of doing this in the past.

Out of curiousity, the BJL link through the Joystick ports on the Jaguar, what lines use that? I wonder if that would interfere with Joystick movement protocals.

Kinda getting me thinking. ;)

Edited by doctorclu

I have been talking about the super gameboy recently and was thinking it would be cool to have this type of thing for the Jaguar, it would add alot of new games to play on it :) . Would it be possible to create a Lynx game adapter for the Jag?

That would be bad-ass too! Ive started a few threads on JSII about this long ago. GREAT idea i think. :)

Hmm... So I wonder if the Lynx hardware could be shrunk down to about the size of 2 Jag carts stacked on top of each other? That's basically what the Super Gameboy is. :) I think it could be done! And even more awesome, imagine if the Lynx games could use the Jag's color pallette! :o Or atleast some of it...

Hmm... So I wonder if the Lynx hardware could be shrunk down to about the size of 2 Jag carts stacked on top of each other? That's basically what the Super Gameboy is. :) I think it could be done! And even more awesome, imagine if the Lynx games could use the Jag's color pallette! :o Or atleast some of it...

That would be awesome. I wish someone develop these, I would definitely buy one of these if they where ever released :)

The SuperGameboy is an amazing adaptor. If there is one trend I wish Atari had continued was the A/V leads like you have on the 5200. Then this would be "easy". Well, no... actually.. the Lynx handles video differently than standard A/V. Nevermind.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to see an adaptor to play ANY other Atari systems on the Jag. 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, 8-bit... Anything to strengthen the library of my favorite massive commercial failure of a console.

Im trying to convince a few hardware guru friends of mine to do this.

Film at 11:00.

I'd love to see an adaptor to play ANY other Atari systems on the Jag. 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, 8-bit... Anything to strengthen the library of my favorite massive commercial failure of a console.

Keep talking to them Gorf. In fact, don't stop until they agree to doing it.

Well, not to say things are IMPOSSIBLE, I'll say, good luck! :D

• 8 years later...

Agreed. So thinking about similar adapters, the super gameboy comes to mind and the retrogen play genesis games on snes adapter comes to mind.

retrogen_snes.jpg

The super gameboy is literally gameboy hardware inside a cartridge. It would be cool to be able to shrink down the lynx hardware, but the lynx had many proprietary chips and to recreate and shrink down the lynx hardware would probably be a bigger challenge than if someone went the same route retrogen did with the genesis "adapter".

I believe the genesis adapter is simply a genesis emulator, perhaps running on an android cpu inside the cartridge. It takes controller inputs from the snes controllers plugged into the snes system, but the cartridge has its own video output and the snes processors/ram etc aren't really doing anything to emulate or process the genesis game.

So basically, what we need to do is put a simple computer inside a jaguar cartridge that will fit inside the jag's cartridge slot, that would have a compatible lynx emulator running on it, and then clean it up with some nice looking plastic and optimize that cartridge computer to boot and load a lynx emulator as quickly as possible and be able to receive the jaguar controller commands via the jag's cartridge slot and process them as inputs for the lynx emulation. It would of course also be nice to have a lynx cartridge slot on this cartridge computer so it could load the rom from the lynx cartridge into the lynx emulator and play it that way.

Of course you could simply wire up some small computer with a lynx emulator to your tv and play with xbox 360 controllers with much less cost and hassle, but we need to think of style over substance here ;)

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say never with all the retro projects going on today, but I'd say compatibility for real carts & ROMS to run on something like the Retron5 or Retro Freak would be much more likely. It'll find a larger audience of buyers. Follow the money...

Just a couple of years ago the Sega community was saying we'd never see GG games on a TV.

I have a PC & oXbox hooked to my TV running Lynx emus. Even with the option to play those on my TV today with a controller, I still admit the novelty of playing these games on the Jaguar would draw me in.

I imagine th original plans for the Lynx adapter were something like how the Neo Geo Pocket Color can communicate with the Dreamcast for games on both platforms for unlockables, etc. Does any one have further info on its original plans? Was it for sure a possibility via the extra pin outs in back on console?

I wouldn't say never with all the retro projects going on today, but I'd say compatibility for real carts & ROMS to run on something like the Retron5 or Retro Freak would be much more likely. It'll find a larger audience of buyers. Follow the money...

Yeah, follow the money to the Atari Lynx. That's where the big dollars are. I heard SainT made $10 million off his Lynx SD card.

Why not just use one of the readily available emulation solutions to play Lynx games on a TV? What would be the point of designing custom hardware to accomplish something that's already possible through much simpler means?

• Like 2

Yeah, follow the money to the Atari Lynx. That's where the big dollars are. I heard SainT made $10 million off his Lynx SD card.

Why not just use one of the readily available emulation solutions to play Lynx games on a TV? What would be the point of designing custom hardware to accomplish something that's already possible through much simpler means?

The emu argument doesn't hold water to everyone. If that's the case, why do thousands of retro carts sell each day online? They could just use an emulator. That's a circular discussion. Most of us here do both, me included. Also add in flash carts and emulators on consoles to my mix.

I currently use my oXbox and emu dedicated PC to play GG ROMs (and Lynx) on my TV, but someone was buying both these below. Including several folks in the same boat as me. These are linux/android boxes that can read ROM data off a cart slot. Assuming the female cart pins can be made, adding Lynx support isn't that crazy. Just because you wouldn't buy it, doesn't mean others won't.

maxresdefault.jpg

retro-freak-gear-converter-for-game-gear

The emu argument doesn't hold water to everyone.

These are linux/android boxes that can read ROM data off a cart slot. Assuming the female cart pins can be made, adding Lynx support isn't that crazy. Just because you wouldn't buy it, doesn't mean others won't.

maxresdefault.jpg

retro-freak-gear-converter-for-game-gear

You realize those are emulators that just read the ROM off an actual cart, yes? An emulator is a emulator regardless if it reads carts or uses ROM files. I'm not sure which point you are trying to make here.

Also, I said nothing about making an argument about carts vs emulation. My point is around trying to play Lynx games in a way they were not originally designed, that is on a TV instead of the Lynx. Apples and oranges.

• Like 2