IGNORED

Impossible Mission - guess who ?

krewat

It's SRAM inside IM.

Any idea what the chip numbers are and what the support chips are?

6264-12 SRAM (8k chip) and then 74LS10, 74LS00 and 74LS02 as the supporting IC population on a 339 series board and on a 565 series board is all the same but the 74LS10 is dropped in favor of a 74LS374 for the bankswitching.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

It's SRAM inside IM.

6264-12 SRAM (8k chip) and then 74LS10, 74LS00 and 74LS02 as the supporting IC population on a 339 series board and on a 565 series board is all the same but the 74LS10 is dropped in favor of a 74LS374 for the bankswitching.

OK, it's an 8KB (K BYTE) chip.

I'm beginning to wonder if my last revision was to save RAM and that is what introduced the bug...

It's SRAM inside IM.

OK, it's an 8KB (K BYTE) chip.

I'm beginning to wonder if my last revision was to save RAM and that is what introduced the bug...

If you got a version that uses larger ram that would be a warm welcome as I got some 32k bad boys sitting on my desk right now that are looking for something to do :evil:

< 1f80: d0 f8 9d 40 67 ca 68 9d 40 67 ad 84 2 ea ea ea ...@g.h.@g......

< 1f90: ea 29 3 c9 3 f0 f3 ea ea 9d 70 67 ee 12 6e a9 .)........pg..n.

---

> 1f80: d0 f8 9d 40 67 ca 68 9d 40 67 ad 0 20 4a 4a 4a ...@g.h.@g.. JJJ

> 1f90: 4a 29 3 c9 3 90 2 a9 0 9d 70 67 ee 12 6e a9 J)........pg..n.

Something to do with searching and finding a puzzle piece... EA's are NOP's that someone put in there, whereas the 4a's are LSR A's...

Will keep digging and see what comes up.

While I'm thinking about it, how were Computer Magic and Man Development related? Just curious.

Mitch

Who's Man Development?

;)

Well, the title screen on Impossible Mission says it was developed by Man Development Corp. I was curious since you mentioned that the company you were working for was called Computer Magic.

Mitch

Well, the title screen on Impossible Mission says it was developed by Man Development Corp. I was curious since you mentioned that the company you were working for was called Computer Magic.

Mitch

No clue. It would, I'm sure, be the consulting-firm/contractor that developed the game initially. What platform did it come out on first, Commodore 64?

Mitch

No clue. It would, I'm sure, be the consulting-firm/contractor that developed the game initially. What platform did it come out on first, Commodore 64?

That's strange, none of the other versions of Impossible Mission that I could find credit Man Development, they credit other sources. The 7800 version of One on One also credits Man Development. From looking around the web these seem to be the only two games credited to Man Development. Any chance you can look at the source code and see if there's any mention of it?

Mitch

I'm starting to remember (maybe) that Jim Mahoney said "Put this in there" about Man Development Corp. It might have been "Mahoney and Nxxxx" as in him and this other guy who was his partner. I totally forget his name at this point. It might come to me sometime laying awake at 3AM.

For some info on Computer Magic, I found a few old floppies we had laying around that we used for backups and such. One video game they actually did make some money off of, was Kayos.

http://www.atarimania.com/zoom_frame.php?T...amp;NUM_IMAGE=0

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft-MENU...ON_ID-2757.html

Never knew they did an Atari version.

The floppies I have are dated 1981. Of course, I don't have ANY binaries or sources of it.

I thought it was a C64 game, apparently it was Atari 400/800.

I'm starting to remember (maybe) that Jim Mahoney said "Put this in there" about Man Development Corp. It might have been "Mahoney and Nxxxx" as in him and this other guy who was his partner. I totally forget his name at this point. It might come to me sometime laying awake at 3AM.

Ah, cool stuff. Thanks for humoring me about this bit of trivia. :)

Mitch

And not to backpedal at all, but...

There were instances where because I was running the code in a static RAM development cartridge, after burning real EPROMs a bug would come up that wasn't there initially. If I remember correctly, Atari tested the game with development cartridges. The only time I had a bug like that come up was in Summer Games or Winter Games though, it never affected IM. If I remember correctly.

Interesting. Always nice to meet an original developer for Atari systems and especially cool to see unrelased titles and source code.

Just curious was one of those issues with Winter Games missing sounds? I think some people discovered some versions of Wnter Games had issues with some sounds missing.

And not to backpedal at all, but...

There were instances where because I was running the code in a static RAM development cartridge, after burning real EPROMs a bug would come up that wasn't there initially. If I remember correctly, Atari tested the game with development cartridges. The only time I had a bug like that come up was in Summer Games or Winter Games though, it never affected IM. If I remember correctly.

Interesting. Always nice to meet an original developer for Atari systems and especially cool to see unrelased titles and source code.

Just curious was one of those issues with Winter Games missing sounds? I think some people discovered some versions of Wnter Games had issues with some sounds missing.

I have one of those. The bobsled race is silent for sure.

I don't think it was missing sounds, but ... after 20+ years, I could be wrong :D

Whenever I get the sources for WG off the floppies, I'll be sure to check for sound during the bobsled.

I think I might start another thread at that time asking for the community to report anomalies in WG/SG (we already know what's wrong with IM) and we'll go from there. Easier to keep track of bugs/issues without all the gabbing going on in this thread ;)

I don't think it was missing sounds, but ... after 20+ years, I could be wrong :D

Whenever I get the sources for WG off the floppies, I'll be sure to check for sound during the bobsled.

I think I might start another thread at that time asking for the community to report anomalies in WG/SG (we already know what's wrong with IM) and we'll go from there. Easier to keep track of bugs/issues without all the gabbing going on in this thread ;)

It's the same thing I mentioned in this post. I suspect Atari accidentally sent an earlier revision to the manufacturer instead of the final version. I don't really have any evidence, that's just my guess. :)

Mitch

It's the same thing I mentioned in this post. I suspect Atari accidentally sent an earlier revision to the manufacturer instead of the final version. I don't really have any evidence, that's just my guess. :)

Interesting. I'll try to get WG restored soon. Having a bit of trouble getting SG back. The floppy drive I was using that was the best of all three that I had, suddenly started spinning the motor randomly for no reason and giving "drive not ready" ... Crap. Worse, I ran out of Q-tips to clean the heads. Darn floppies are so dirty they leave a trail of crud on the drives after only one or two passes. Funny, the more I try to read them, the better they get - the dirt is getting wiped off of the floppy by the heads. Starting to wonder if I should just remove the floppy from the envelope and clean it with alcohol. I'll try that with something else first though as a test...

I might have to break down and actually BUY a floppy drive off of eBay ;)

Also, from my README.DOC in the IM source directory, dated Apr 24, 1988:

Impossible Mission. Conversion started by Brian Richter. Finished

by Arthur Krewat around 4/25/88.

Brian converted all of the room drawing, and elevator code.

I converted searching, security terminals, snoozes, lift inits,

all desktop areas, and score screens.

The following is a list of files and what they contain, to the best

of my knowledge. Some of the stuff Brian wrote, I never had to touch.

Game0 - Main elevator area. Also, contains NMI's for elevator

and rooms.

Game1 - Elevator and desktop DLL and DL's.

Game2 - Split up into game21 and game22.

Game21 - Contains rock movement and other elevator specific code.

Game22 - Guy stuff, used everywhere.

Game3 - More desktop stuff. Hand movement, etc.

Game4 - Random number generator and map code.

Room - Main room stuff.

(Darn, no fixed-length font)

Just remember something about "Man development" - I had nicely put MY NAME on the "Converted to the 7800 by..." for IM, and was told "change that to MAN DEVELOPMENT". Didn't know why, didn't LIKE it, but did it anyway.

That probably had something to do with Atari's bullshit policy of not crediting programmers in any way, lest other companies steal them away. I didn't think they were still doing that during the 7800 years, though.

Just remember something about "Man development" - I had nicely put MY NAME on the "Converted to the 7800 by..." for IM, and was told "change that to MAN DEVELOPMENT". Didn't know why, didn't LIKE it, but did it anyway.

That probably had something to do with Atari's bullshit policy of not crediting programmers in any way, lest other companies steal them away. I didn't think they were still doing that during the 7800 years, though.

Well, Computer Magic did have experience working with Atari back as far as 1981, re: Kayos for the 800. Old habits die hard ;)