IGNORED

Impossible Mission - guess who ?

krewat

• 4 months later...

I recently scored a sealed ntsc version of Impossible Mission 2 for c64. This game is tough and takes I.M. to the next level.

Aside from time, [i doubt a donor disk would be enough] what would it take financially to convert this game to a 7800 cart and that said is there anyone on this forum willing to take on such a project and how many of us would purchase them ?

I recently scored a sealed ntsc version of Impossible Mission 2 for c64. This game is tough and takes I.M. to the next level.

Aside from time, [i doubt a donor disk would be enough] what would it take financially to convert this game to a 7800 cart and that said is there anyone on this forum willing to take on such a project and how many of us would purchase them ?

I'd buy a copy!!! Definitely!!! Would love to see this game come out for the 7800.

I'd buy one if it were possible to beat it :lol:

AX

Given that the bounty for adding sound to the Colecovision version of Joust was set at $2000 that might be a good figure to start at.

Given that the bounty for adding sound to the Colecovision version of Joust was set at $2000 that might be a good figure to start at.

I wonder if we could pull off a community effort to raise that much money to get this done . . .

Well, if you're going to go the fundraising route, you might consider putting it up on Kickstarter and opening it up to a wider audience. Limiting it to a thread on AtariAge might not even catch the attention of everyone here, much less those who might be interested in contributing but are not AtariAge members.

I think we should start a new topic with a poll to see if there is enough interest. I be willing to donate a good amount to the cause. Also I think our community is significantly bigger than most others.

The 7800 homebrew community is probably a bit smaller than the Colecovision one in my opinion. Getting people to part with their cash twice, once for the donation and again for the cart is going to be hard going. You might make 100 sales of the cart if you are lucky. So that is a $20 royalty on top of each one. That would make it between $50 and $60 to purchase a loose cart. Most collectors would be expecting CIB for that.

I think we need to find someone that can do the conversion first before we do anything else. Also wouldn't we need access to the original source code?

When I ported the BBC micro version of Tempest to the 7800 (just from its original disk image) I can tell you that its quite a challenging project and not something for a novice programmer.

You don't need the original source code, you can start from the disk image (preferably cracked and depacked) and then start the reverse engineering process from there.

I'd be willing to kick in some cash for the R&d of this game in particular. A box would be great if we are going to spend the money to do this right in the first place, but not a necessity.

Obviously, there are a few folks out there that would buy simply to have, and the non box may turn folks off.

I have a freshly cracked large box Epyx issue NOS disk of IM2, it functions perfectly NOW, and if we have a serious interest and a finalized deal, I would be willing to pony it up for the project, provided it was copied and returned to me ASAP.

If we were serious about a box, my box is mint as well, no creases, no fading, artwork solved.

I'd take 3 carts, My younger brother got me hooked on IM back in the day,and this would make a nice Christmas or b-day thanks for the memories gift for him !

[provided he finally springs for a 7800 :) ]

Still patiently waiting for the Krewat fix for my 7800 IM cart as I am not sure that I want to delve into a multi-cart for the 7800 as my gaming interest is very limited for that machine.

My C64 disks are aging fast and I dont see delving into the emulator or whatever world for the Commodore any time soon.... 5200 is taking up plenty of my free time and money !!!!

Edited by peedenmark7

I have a freshly cracked large box Epyx issue NOS disk of IM2, it functions perfectly NOW, and if we have a serious interest and a finalized deal, I would be willing to pony it up for the project, provided it was copied and returned to me ASAP.

I don't think you'd need to send your copy to anybody. You can get the disk images from the web.

Still patiently waiting for the Krewat fix for my 7800 IM cart as I am not sure that I want to delve into a multi-cart for the 7800 as my gaming interest is very limited for that machine.

You could also get Albert to make you a cart with the "unofficial" fixed version (if you are in a hurry).

Still trying to get the time to fix IM as it should be fixed. Hopefully (which I know I've said before), this early winter, around Christmas, I should be able to get that done.

Thank you for doing that! IM was the game I remember playing the most from my childhood! Looking forward to any updates you have!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes, it's definitely been a while - I have gotten some development environment stuff done, and have previously gotten a clean compile of IM that matches bit-for-bit the original images I provided to Atari.

Have yet to actually FIX the terminal/puzzle-piece bug - hope to have this done within the next few months.

I just ran across the 5.25" floppy drive I was sent the other day, and got the rest of the stuff I need to make this happen. Will let everyone know within the next few months re: California Games and whatever source code I can find.

So sorry for the delays on this, life keeps getting in the way ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I 1st read that Arthur Krewat started this post the creator of the most frustraiting game I ever played. I swear if I saw him in person I would of rammed my knee up...I don't think I better say. But then later reading up that glitch really wasn't his fault, and Atari did test it? Got me thinking back to a time, when I called Atari about a question I had about a game. That the person I talked to at Atari only confirmed what was said here. In that they took lots of shortcuts, and the 7800 never really lived up to what it was capable of. I don't think there is a single person here who would disagree with me. I personally think the only testing that was ever done on any game was to make sure it worked, and not to see if it still had any glitches or if it could be winable.

Edited by Classic Pac

Everytime I read that I get so mad. They're lying or they haven't actually looked into it. EIther way, that kid deserved better. The only thing worse from them is the obvious fake letter that starts this lot:

http://www.atariage.com/magazines/magazine_page.html?MagazineID=13&CurrentPage=4

Although the Ninjaendo thing is also pretty bad (racist and boring in the name of product promotion? Great stuff). Only Johnny Turbo was a worse classic game comic.