IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED? Weekly Top Ten for 2009

cvga

OK, here are my times for this week. No Park Patrol this time, but...

Jr. Pac Man (Arcade version, emulated in MAME) 300 minutes (in 4 sessions)

Frogger (Parker Brothers) (2600, emulated in Stella) 37 minutes

Galaxy wars (Arcade version, emulated in MAME) 20 minutes

Miniature Golf High Resolution (2600, emulated in Stella) 1 minute

Stacker (WIP) (2600, emulated in Stella) 1 minute

I didn't see an "official rules" post but I have only seen time credited for actual hardware consoles to this point, not PC emulation.

I've been crediting emulation. It gets counted as if it's the system that's being emulated.

That's too bad - that just sucked the credibility out of the whole thing.

In my mind, the whole fun in this was playing the game on the actual console. Selecting "START | RUN | COMMODORE 64 EMULATOR" or "START | RUN | MAME32" - that's just too easy.

In my mind, the whole fun in this was playing the game on the actual console. Selecting "START | RUN | COMMODORE 64 EMULATOR" or "START | RUN | MAME32" - that's just too easy.

While I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it sucked the credibility out of the whole thing, and I would hesitate to criticize the person who dedicates his time to keeping track of our play time, I do agree that it would be nice if this were just for playing games on the actual hardware.

But, then, how would we know? Heck, we don't even know if we're all being honest about what we play and for how long we play it. So on second thought, it's probably best for me not to get too worked up about it. :)

I'll just imagine that we're all playing our games on real hardware, and ignore any posts that blatantly point out they're using emulators. :D

While I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it sucked the credibility out of the whole thing, and I would hesitate to criticize the person who dedicates his time to keeping track of our play time, I do agree that it would be nice if this were just for playing games on the actual hardware.

But, then, how would we know? Heck, we don't even know if we're all being honest about what we play and for how long we play it. So on second thought, it's probably best for me not to get too worked up about it. :)

I'll just imagine that we're all playing our games on real hardware, and ignore any posts that blatantly point out they're using emulators. :D

Yes, I understood all along that it was an "honor system" approach to the reporting times. However, I thought the intent was to record the times spent on the classic hardware - not modern day equipment.

Yes, I understood all along that it was an "honor system" approach to the reporting times. However, I thought the intent was to record the times spent on the classic hardware - not modern day equipment.

Sure, I was just thinking it through for myself. :)

How would you handle it -- some sort of policing mechanism to remind people what the thread's for?

Edited by Ransom

I got some new cartridges, so:

(Times are approximate)

Threshold (10 min)

Space Invaders (20 min)

Subterranea (15 min)

Mogul Maniac (5 min)

Snoopy and The Red Baron (10 min)

Arcade Golf (15 min)

Submarine Commander (15 min)

Also:

Flag Capture (5 min)

Defender (45 min)

Berzerk (20 min)

just want to chime in a little on the above discussion.

I don't use emulation @ all. I'm strictly an original hardware guy. This is why I don't compete in many of the HSC comps. If I don't own the actual game, I don't compete.

However.....

I am 100% for emulated games counting in this thread. If I may be so bold, I think the original idea of this thread was to track which classic GAMES get the most attention & hold up best over the decades & can get gamers coming back over & over again (Kaboom, Dragster, Pitfall, etc.). NOT which classic hardware gets the most play. I think we already know that answer......

Peace

How would you handle it -- some sort of policing mechanism to remind people what the thread's for?

I would have to say to go with whatever the popular opinion is.

I would have to say to go with whatever the popular opinion is.

I enjoy playing on the actual hardware also but the intent was to emphasize the games. I enjoy reading the commentary that Kurt provides with his list each week so I'd much rather include emulated games then not have him post at all. We've had enough homebrews make the top 10 that aren't available on cart yet (to my knowledge) that I assumed people knew that at least some people were using emulators.

I'm always willing to clarify how I'm tracking games and times but I've avoided creating a list of "rules". I've been playing my Atari 2600 games on a 7800 so I haven't exactly been faithful :)

Lots of games added to the master list this week! Here's the Top Ten for Week #13...

1. Jr. Pacman (Arcade) 300 minutes

2. Kaboom! (2600) 222

3. Centipede (7800) 135

4. Mouse Trap (COLV) 90

4. Towering Inferno (2600) 90

6. AD&D Cloudy Mountain (Intv) 90

6. CPK - Adventure in the Park (2600) 90

8. Defender (2600) 45

8. Galaga (7800) 45

8. Pole Position II (7800) 45

8. Super Mario Bros (NES) 45

Six different systems represented in the Top Ten this week!

We've had enough homebrews make the top 10 that aren't available on cart yet (to my knowledge) that I assumed people knew that at least some people were using emulators.

Good point! It is useful to track how much time people are spending with homebrews that aren't available in cart form. It's certainly made me check out a couple of games I might have otherwise missed.

Last night was a 5200 kinda night. Plus, I had extra time to play because traffic has been light, perhaps because of spring break. :)

Countermeasure (5200): 15 minutes

Defender (5200): 30 minutes

Moon Patrol (5200): 30 minutes

Space Invaders (5200): 30 minutes