IGNORED

Who got this Asterix...

pinball22

Wow, a mom who didn't throw out her son's collectible "crap"!

He was surprised too, he said it was kind of weird, because according to him Atari never shipped the game to stores. Most of them probably died with the E.T.'s and Mindlink's.

• 2 weeks later...
You know Mexico and Venezuala have each killed the value of formerly rare games. Venezuala with Motorodeo, and Ikari warriors (Found stuff by the boat load.) And Mexico with Quadrun and Asterix. There was not a huge find but rather it seems Quadrun and Asterix are mearly more common in Mexico. My guess is the Asterix is still an awesome deal as there probably is not more than 12 to 15 found in total. But the way they are finding them in Mexico that number will surely jump in the future. I think 6 have been found in the past year alone.

I HATE comments like this ... what is the problem with people selling games ???

If they are legit, why wait one year to list one game and keep the value up ??? ... or would you be happy if i only listed Quadruns for 350 BIN ??????

If you think that Quadrun and Asterix are more common here, why don't you come by ??, you pretty much will be dissapointed.

That Asterix was legit and you can check my feedback because the buyer received it yesterday and he was very nice and happy with the game.

If the auctions end low, its not my fault; people do not trust mexicans and i do my best to keep up and getting some good games for TRUE fans.

Also, many of my Quadruns were found in TEXAS :S

You know Mexico and Venezuala have each killed the value of formerly rare games. Venezuala with Motorodeo, and Ikari warriors (Found stuff by the boat load.) And Mexico with Quadrun and Asterix. There was not a huge find but rather it seems Quadrun and Asterix are mearly more common in Mexico. My guess is the Asterix is still an awesome deal as there probably is not more than 12 to 15 found in total. But the way they are finding them in Mexico that number will surely jump in the future. I think 6 have been found in the past year alone.

If they are legit, why wait one year to list one game and keep the value up ??? ... or would you be happy if i only listed Quadruns for 350 BIN ??????

If you think that Quadrun and Asterix are more common here, why don't you come by ??, you pretty much will be dissapointed.

That Asterix was legit and you can check my feedback because the buyer received it yesterday and he was very nice and happy with the game.

If the auctions end low, its not my fault; people do not trust mexicans and i do my best to keep up and getting some good games for TRUE fans.

Also, many of my Quadruns were found in TEXAS :S

Eskobar, do you have any idea how many Asterix's there are in Mexico and how easy they are to come by?

Eskobar, do you have any idea how many Asterix's there are in Mexico and how easy they are to come by?

First of all, let's remember that no matter how many games are founded recently, the original production size is the same.

I usually hunt down these games all over my country and when i travel to USA in car or plane i try to visit all the road markets or video-game stores to uncover treasures :D

5 loose Asterix NTSC were found in markets of Estado de Mexico and Distrito Federal

1 CIB Asterix was founded in Distrito Federal

1 Sealed Asterix was founded on a Mexican Auction site 3 years ago

1 Loose Asterix in Monterrey

1 Loose Asterix in Texas

This games are all the ones i have founded and i know that 1 CIB asterix (the one that was sold last year) was found on a Mexican auction side along 2 more, on the last year.

Asterix are very hard to find, as quadruns; Obelix is also scarce.

But it took me a few years to find those asterix, like 5 years to find them all.

There are many corners where you can be lucky and find a treasure, check this photo, those games costed 15 pesos each and got real GEMS :D

http://homepage.mac.com/nihonsei/eskoweb/LocalTreasure07.jpg

First of all, let's remember that no matter how many games are founded recently, the original production size is the same.

I usually hunt down these games all over my country and when i travel to USA in car or plane i try to visit all the road markets or video-game stores to uncover treasures :D

5 loose Asterix NTSC were found in markets of Estado de Mexico and Distrito Federal

1 Loose Asterix in Texas

This games are all the ones i have founded and i know that 1 CIB asterix (the one that was sold last year) was found on a Mexican auction side along 2 more, on the last year.

But it took me a few years to find those asterix, like 5 years to find them all.

There are many corners where you can be lucky and find a treasure, check this photo, those games costed 15 pesos each and got real GEMS :D

OK, let me get this straight. You have literally found 8 NTSC Asterix by yourself while thrifting in five years? I truly believe you have done a lot of work to find these. But you still were able to find 8 NTSC Asterix by yourself in Mexico in 5 years. Look, I have been searching for Atari 2600 games all over the place. I think I have found like 3 loose Frankenstein Monsters during the same time period. In fact the rarest game I have found was a Pengo loose. I go to the swap meet every week. Week in and week out. I have combed through hundreds of yards sales, and I have never found anything higher than a rarity 6 game here. And yes I believe you have searched more than me for you video games. Probably 5 times as much. But still you have found 8 Asterix by yourself just thrifting. Well thanks very much for the numbers I really do appreciate that. I now have a pretty close to exact number of Asterix games out there.

The 6 Sealed that were found by the programmer. The 9 you found including the auction. The 3 others that were sold that were not found by you. And the 2 others that I think were found in Canada. So if this is right 9+6+3+2=20 Asterix currently out there. So yeah, 20 is still extremely rare. But not as rare as originally thought. But hey it's still on the level of Pepsi Invaders and Video Life as far as known Numbers go. So it's still an extremely rare game. But I have a feeling that over the next 10 years that more Asterix will be found and will no longer be as rare as these two rarity 10 games.

Its very hard to explain why but i think that you cannot consider me as any regular collector ... why, you ask ? ... check the numbers.

I put many hours of my life hunting games for my collection and i am lucky enough to have the right contacts, for example, one leader of a road market always holds the games that i ask him to look for .... that guy provides the entire ESTADO DE MEXICO !!! .... and you should know that Distrito Federal and Estado de Mexico are the places that receive lots and lots of dump from USA and CANADA.

People in North America can afford to throw away lots of stuff to buy new things .... Many Atari games appeared in Mexico after the NES was launched because in my country the Atari still was a novelty because many people could afford it by that year; we received stashes of sealed games that were a profitable aftermarket after the debacle of ATARI since 1983 ...

Many rare games appear in Mexico because many families donated or dumped those games and systems and there was official presence of atari years later.

I think that your assumptions about the rarity of Asterix are wrong, that game is really one of the toughest games to find on every system.

Its very hard to explain why but i think that you cannot consider me as any regular collector ... why, you ask ? ... check the numbers.

I put many hours of my life hunting games for my collection and i am lucky enough to have the right contacts, for example, one leader of a road market always holds the games that i ask him to look for .... that guy provides the entire ESTADO DE MEXICO !!! .... and you should know that Distrito Federal and Estado de Mexico are the places that receive lots and lots of dump from USA and CANADA.

People in North America can afford to throw away lots of stuff to buy new things .... Many Atari games appeared in Mexico after the NES was launched because in my country the Atari still was a novelty because many people could afford it by that year; we received stashes of sealed games that were a profitable aftermarket after the debacle of ATARI since 1983 ...

Many rare games appear in Mexico because many families donated or dumped those games and systems and there was official presence of atari years later.

I think that your assumptions about the rarity of Asterix are wrong, that game is really one of the toughest games to find on every system.

OK, I got ya. You do have connections. There are some games that are harder to find though.

Karate, Air Raid, BMX Airmaster all have numbers that are lower than Asterix just because of the 12 Asterix games that have been found in Mexico. Looks like from the numbers alone you probably do get two thirds of all Asterix games that are found in your country. But if we are to add up the numbers 2 to 3 Asterix's are found in your country every year. If just 2 Asterix's show up in your country every year for the next ten years there will be 40 Asterix's out there. On the other hand I don't see Video Life; Pepsi Invaders; Magic Card; Karate; Air Raid; or BMX Airmaster having 40 total games in this time period. But still I do agree this is a legit rarity 10 game even if your country is finding about 2 of these a year.

If they are legit, why wait one year to list one game and keep the value up ???

[...]

Hell yeah! I hope you unearth many more treasures because I'm willing to buy a bunch! Good hunting!

Well, it is not a guarantee that you can find 2 games per year :D

But man, i felt terrible when i read you comments about people that killed the rarity of a game, that was not fair ... and more considering that most of the quadruns and asterix came from me :(

I understand how you feel but i think that every buyer of those games do not care about if the game is a R10 or R9; they knew that they got a game that they will probably never see again ...

And yes, those games you named are indeed about the same rarity :S

I am gonna look if i have spare of those or at least gonna hunt them ;D

1 Loose Asterix in Texas

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know. BTW I woulda crapped my pants if I came by that lot :-o

But man, i felt terrible when i read you comments about people that killed the rarity of a game, that was not fair ... and more considering that most of the quadruns and asterix came from me :(

Don't feel bad Escobar. You are actually helping collectors, by providing them with games many thought they would never own ;) The fact that a game's monetary value declines is of little concern to a true collector.

One thing needs to be noted. I do not own a Quadrun or an Asterix. So the downgrade in value is actually a good thing if I choose to go after those titles. I just like the fact that they were rare. It's nice to have super holy grails in this hobby. If everyone has it it loses it's luster. If that's not the case you would be cherishing Frogger, Space Invaders, and whole bunch of other games that are actually all time classics and really fun to play. Truth be told I actually like my boxed good common games probably more than my rares. I feel like I am holding history when I hold my Frogger or Space Invaders box. Just another perspective to think about.

Edited by homerwannabee

One thing needs to be noted. I do not own a Quadrun or an Asterix. So the downgrade in value is actually a good thing if I choose to go after those titles. I just like the fact that they were rare. It's nice to have super holy grails in this hobby. If everyone has it it loses it's luster. If that's not the case you would be cherishing Frogger, Space Invaders, and whole bunch of other games that are actually all time classics and really fun to play. Truth be told I actually like my boxed good common games probably more than my rares. I feel like I am holding history when I hold my Frogger or Space Invaders box. Just another perspective to think about.

Don't worry, I wasn't aiming my comments at you Homer :) And you needn't worry about Holy Grails - the Atari 2600 has more than any other system and they are not likely to run out any time soon. Just ask Marco

I think you are being a bit rude in a bout of jealousy or something man. Really i think its cool he found them and probably deserves the money he makes on them since i am sure it took lots of hard work finding them.

1 Loose Asterix in Texas

OK, let me get this straight. You have literally found 8 NTSC Asterix by yourself while thrifting in five years? I truly believe you have done a lot of work to find these. But you still were able to find 8 NTSC Asterix by yourself in Mexico in 5 years. Look, I have been searching for Atari 2600 games all over the place. I think I have found like 3 loose Frankenstein Monsters during the same time period. In fact the rarest game I have found was a Pengo loose. I go to the swap meet every week. Week in and week out. I have combed through hundreds of yards sales, and I have never found anything higher than a rarity 6 game here. And yes I believe you have searched more than me for you video games. Probably 5 times as much. But still you have found 8 Asterix by yourself just thrifting. Well thanks very much for the numbers I really do appreciate that. I now have a pretty close to exact number of Asterix games out there.

The 6 Sealed that were found by the programmer. The 9 you found including the auction. The 3 others that were sold that were not found by you. And the 2 others that I think were found in Canada. So if this is right 9+6+3+2=20 Asterix currently out there. So yeah, 20 is still extremely rare. But not as rare as originally thought. But hey it's still on the level of Pepsi Invaders and Video Life as far as known Numbers go. So it's still an extremely rare game. But I have a feeling that over the next 10 years that more Asterix will be found and will no longer be as rare as these two rarity 10 games.

I think you are being a bit rude in a bout of jealousy or something man. Really i think its cool he found them and probably deserves the money he makes on them since i am sure it took lots of hard work finding them.

1 Loose Asterix in Texas

No I am not jealous. More power to him. I just think that this game is not as rare as previously thought. It is still extremely rare, and I believe it should always be a rarity 10 unless they have a find of them like they did in Venezuala with Motorodeo and Ikari Warriors. Digital Press has Cubicolor as a rarity 10 despite the fact that there are over 60 of those games known to exist in collectors hands. If I do the math right even at two a year average it's going to take over 40 years for this game to catch up to Cubicolor. Most likely the finds will start drying up in about 5 to 10 years time and it will probably settle at 30 to 40 when all is said and done. In my book that's extremely rare still.

Thank you very much for all the comments, i think that many of us take rarity more seriously than we are supposed to. Don't get me wrong, i am a bitch for rarity and i am always hunting those prices treasures because i am a collector, since i was kid i had that voice in my soul that encouraged me to get every trading card of a series or just to get all the possible points on video games.

The dollar and numbers usually clouds our vision and gets in between our inner collector and gamer ... Numbers are very subjective, we are talking 30 or 40 games for millions of collectors ?????, There is more to a game than its existing copies or how much were made.

Only time will tell but keep in mind that if some game popped up in 2007 or 2008 is not guarantee that they appeared in 2003, 2006; we are talking about a game that was released 25 years ago ...

Keep up collecting and good luck with your collection, i am gonna keep listing as much as i can :D

PD : The asterix NTSC boxes have a sticker with an "N" on top.

Edited by eskobar

Thank you very much for all the comments, i think that many of us take rarity more seriously than we are supposed to. Don't get me wrong, i am a bitch for rarity and i am always hunting those prices treasures because i am a collector, since i was kid i had that voice in my soul that encouraged me to get every trading card of a series or just to get all the possible points on video games.

The dollar and numbers usually clouds our vision and gets in between our inner collector and gamer ... Numbers are very subjective, we are talking 30 or 40 games for millions of collectors ?????, There is more to a game than its existing copies or how much were made.

Only time will tell but keep in mind that if some game popped up in 2007 or 2008 is not guarantee that they appeared in 2003, 2006; we are talking about a game that was released 25 years ago ...

Keep up collecting and good luck with your collection, i am gonna keep listing as much as i can :D

PD : The asterix NTSC boxes have a sticker with an "N" on top.

I think you're one major mistake selling those Asterix games was you did not come on this site sooner. I really believe that if people knew who you were when you were selling those Asterix games that they would of gone for a lot more than they did.

Edited by homerwannabee

I think you're one major mistake selling those Asterix games was you did not come on this site sooner. I really believe that if people knew who you were when you were selling those Asterix games that they would of gone for a lot more than they did.

Honestly, money is not a problem for me; if it were, i would have listed those games with reserve price or BIN format or i could have refused to sell the games that ended very low, don't you think ?

I only care about keep gaming and keep collecting, if i found a rare game and i have it; why keep it ? ... why don't give a chance to people that cannot afford to pay 300 usd for a loose Quadrun or a game that usually is not available ?

I understand that many people will be better if i haven't sold so many Asterix ... but again, ask the buyers and i know they are very very happy; and that is enough for me.

I think that i made my point, sorry to kill the "value" or rarity of Asterix and Quadruns ... maybe i should move to kill the rarity of another title, LOL