IGNORED

oblivion lock-ups

Zeptari

I started to play Oblivion after about a year off.

Tons of problems.... random short lock-ups when fighting an enemy or bringing up

inventory screen... these are small problems...

My big problem is Oblivion totally locks up if i try to load a save game... :x :x :x

but the really weird thing is it locks up too if i try to start a new game too!!

I can't start a new game!!! :x

I install to hard drive with same results too!

I read somewhere online you can hold down "A" when Oblivion first loads and

it'll clear out the cashe..... is this safe and does it work?

please help!

-rick

I started to play Oblivion after about a year off.

Tons of problems.... random short lock-ups when fighting an enemy or bringing up

inventory screen... these are small problems...

My big problem is Oblivion totally locks up if i try to load a save game... :x :x :x

but the really weird thing is it locks up too if i try to start a new game too!!

I can't start a new game!!! :x

I install to hard drive with same results too!

I read somewhere online you can hold down "A" when Oblivion first loads and

it'll clear out the cashe..... is this safe and does it work?

please help!

-rick

You can try it. Should be safe. My understanding was clearing out the cache helped with lag and the constant "loading" at the bottom when you entered a new area. Constantly locking up sounds like maybe another issue. (Although there were several occasions where my game froze and many of the times was when that "loading" was going on. Try to clear the cache and see if that helps, shouldn't hurt.

The original unpatched version of Oblivion had some major bugs including ones that would cause the games to freeze. There are also some quests that can't be completed (of note is the Clavicus Vile Daedric quest line.) With the original version you could hold 'A' while the game boots to clear out the (possibly fragmented) hdd cache and relieve some problems for a bit.

Pathing the game to the latest version should fix these bugs. I have not seen the game freeze since a little while after release day when the first patch was released. Holding 'A' with the game patched no longer does anything as the first patch changed it so that the game cleans up the cache automatically. If your game is patched and you are still having these problems I would remove any addons and the expansion and then reset the game back to release so that it can patch again. Once patched again you would be able to reinstall any addons and the expansion. The only problem with this is that I don't know of any way to remove just the Oblivion patches. You will have to clear the drive of patches which means that when you insert any of your games they will have to patch again if they have patches. Since games tend to have small patches it doesn't bother me much but I could see someone being weary about doing this. If you decide to try it out here is the process:

Open the "System" blade on the 360.

Go to "Memory".

Press 'Y' on the hard drive to open the "Device Options" menu.

Press the following sequence of buttons: X, X, LB (Left Bumper), RB (Right Bumper), X, X.

Acknowledge that you want to perform maintenance and delete all patches.

Once that is complete simply start Oblivion and it will download the patches. If you have any addons or the expansion you will not want to load a saved game until the game is done patching and you install your addons again.

With the original version you could hold 'A' while the game boots to clear out the (possibly fragmented) hdd cache and relieve some problems for a bit.

Pathing the game to the latest version should fix these bugs. I have not seen the game freeze since a little while after release day when the first patch was released. Holding 'A' with the game patched no longer does anything as the first patch changed it so that the game cleans up the cache

Holding the A button worked!!!

My game loads fine! And no more randow lock-ups! All is fine in Oblivion! :D

I haven't played this game in over a year! Boy, this game still looks and plays great!

I can't believe i put it down for sooo long!

Now i gotta find a place where i can get alot of lockpicks!

-rick

Edit: Thanks everyone!!!

Edited by Zeptari1

Do you have your box hooked up to the internet? If not, it might be a good idea to do so just to download the current patches for the game.

Yup, I'm on XBL... My game is patched.. but the "A" button thing did fix it.

I'd really like to blow off work tomorrow and say home and play all day.... :D

-rick

I love this game.

I re-started it months and months ago and was just in awe of it then as when I first played it.

This thread is making me want to pay another visit to Oblivion!

I'm glad my short lived problem rekindled your love for oblivion. :D

I plan on playing it alot.... I might reinstall it to my HDD... i wonder if the load times

are really that much better... i guess i should do it anyways... keep the DVD drive

from spinning.

only problem is I'll only have

about a gig free after a oblivion install.

and I'll wanna download that island expansion for burnout paradise the week it

comes out...

ohh well...

and hyper-eye.. thanks for the Skeleton Key info.... that will come in handy...

and i got the coolest ring tonight.... it lets me see in the dark!

that might be uneventfull for you long time oblivion players... but this oblivion

newbie thinks it was damn cool!

-rick

I never had problems with mine, other than hitchis while going from area to area, but thats common among these type of games. Then again, since I beat the game over a year ago, I haven't actually put the disc back in. Clearing the casch probably won't hurt, but depending on the problem, it may not help either. I noticed on my original box, as the drive wore on, and the games got older, the ammount of problems would increase.

Been quite awhile since I played the game but I do remember having lockup's with it and they seemed to happen the most when the game was loading a new area.... such as when I went thru a door of a house or into a dungeon.

Mendon

I've had only one lock up since clearing the cashe.

It happened when opening a door.... no big deal.

I set it to autosave alot, so I only had to replay

about 2 mins of gameplay...

-rick

Worst problem I had with mine was this

Now think that, but with EVERYONE! It was eerie but cool at the same time.

Damn that's SuperFreaky!!!!

Seeing that picture gave my an idea.....

Would anyone be interested in posting pics

of their in game character from oblivion here?

I was just wondering what some of your avatars look like....

I entered the arena for the first time last night....

I can't believe I've played oblivion over 20hours

and never entered a fight there.....

and my quest goes on...

-rick

Here's mine. I actually forgot I dressed her (yes "her", it was an accident, all lizards look alike to me) in this outfit, at one time she looked even less threatening in a monks garb. She could easily beat anyone in the game using summon and destruction spells, her mana recharges so quickly she rarely has to worry about running out, and when she starts getting a beat down *poof* invisible for 2 minutes at a time.

She can breathe underwater always, carry 802 pounds, see in the dark for 3 minutes, detect enemies up to 120 feet away for 2 minutes, heal legendary wounds...man I love this character. (Even if she is ugly) :lust:

post-544-1237529291_thumb.jpg

post-544-1237529304_thumb.jpg

Edited by moycon