IGNORED

Dreamcast was better than the PS2

Well judging by everything discussed, it's clear that most people's OPINION is that the PS2 is better. ;) Dreamcast is cool too though... In a red headed step child sort of way. :P

Riiiiight. :lol:

Focusing on posts in this very thread that specifically mention a comparison between the DC and the PS2:

Pro DC

Mazerati = Started the thread Dreamcast was better than the PS2

akator = While the Dreamcast is my personal favorite when compared to the PS2

moycon = I got overall more enjoyment out of the games I played on the DC when compared to games I played on PS2.

tisaperfectdayelise = I found the Dreamcast experience to be much more enjoyable than PS2

kevinski = Simply put, Dreamcast is and always will be an amazing console. It's much better than PlayStation 2

Cafeman = I always loved Dreamcast and (after Sony's hype) I found the PS2 to be disappointing.

famicommander = Gamecube is my favorite sixth generation console, followed by Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox in that order.

Artlover = I'd agree with Dreamcast was better then the PS2.

Shawn Sr. = The DC totally owns the PS2.

DaytonaUSA = I love my PS2, if not just for the few games on there I will always cherish. But honestly, I like my DC better,

Nintendo Penguin = It had some great games and I enjoyed it much more than my PS1, PS2, or N64

Cynn = I got my Dreamcast from NCS on the Japanese launch. It blew my mind. I still love it to this day. Never saw a game on the PS2 that impressed me like Shenmue did

Pro PS2

kevincal = Gran Turismo 3 and 4 shit on anything from the DC...

AtticGamer= PS2 is better than Dreamcast in every aspect:

grandcross = The PS2 has a bigger and better library of games to play, thus making it the superior console.

Crazyace = I definitely think it (Dreamcast) was outclassed by the PS2 though

Warriorisabouttodie = They are both really fun systems, but I don't agree the DreamC was better than the PS2.

Now granted there are many other posts from people who mentioned positive statements in regards to both systems without actually stating they preferred one or the other.

When you say MOST do you mean, not as many?

Edited by moycon

This thread makes me laugh. Everytime I read the words "Dreamcast was better than the PS2"

I hear Hendrix music playing in the background.

Its amazing what devotion and love for system does to people.

Hey its cool though, whatever suits your own boat.

Now I need to find that doobie and hope the Cubs win the world series this year.

:D

The reason a lot of DC fanboys came to this thread like flies on shit, was because of the topic title. Plus this is Atari Age, home of the underdog fans. Atari fans tend to root for the underdog. Probably a lot of people that read this that prefer the PS2 didn't want to bother saying so because they saw all the crazy DC fanboys in this thread. ;) Look what happened to me for instance. I got the bandwagon effect going against me big time..

What I'm saying is, you can't say the DC is better only based off this one thread at Atari Age... Ya, so maybe more DC fanboys than sane people chimed in on this thread. I'll give you that. Doesn't mean it proves anything other than there are a lot of DC fans at AA...

What I'm saying is, you can't say the DC is better only based off this one thread at Atari Age...

Sure you can, you can say whatever you want.

You might want to disregard what others say, and that's fine. You might want to say the exact opposite of what the majority is saying and that's fine too. In the end though, no one gives a frogs fat ass what you think or what you say, but you.

Sure there are millions who would agree the ps2 is better than the DC, in the same breath there are millions who got more enjoyment out of the DC, and you know what, they are ALL right.

Who exactly do you think you are that you have the final say which system they thought was better. LOL :lol:

If I didn't know any better, it seems like it angers you that someone thinks differently than you do.

You must get angry a lot.

Edited by moycon

Awhile back i was in financial troubles and sold off a bunch of games and consoles including my Dreamcast and PS2 when things improved I quickly bought another Dreamcast and didn't bother to replace the PS2 I just don't feel the need to own another Sony product.

The PS2 may do some things better but I get far more mileage out of my Dreamcast it was a great machine for it's time and had Sega had the ability to keep going the next console would likely have crushed the overpriced offerings from Sony. Sure some of the titles for DC were forgettable but it had many quirky and interesting titles that drew you in. PS2 has a bigger library but quantity does not equal quality I had 1 game in my PS2 for over a year and that was Everquest Online Adventures and thats it the other titles sat and collected dust because they were dull, however on the DC i never get tired of Illbleed,MArvel vs. Capcom2, Crazy Taxis, and I found the 18 Wheeler game far more playable than Big Mutha Truckers the games just seemed more original,vibrant and interesting.

I can't honestly say which is better as that is a matter personal choice, for me it's Dreamcast and when i eventually bought a used XBox the PS2 was even further down my list of must have consoles.

Edited by kroogur

What I'm saying is, you can't say the DC is better only based off this one thread at Atari Age...

You might want to disregard what others say, and that's fine. You might want to say the exact opposite of what the majority is saying and that's fine too. In the end though, no one gives a frogs fat ass what you think or what you say, but you.

Sure there are millions who would agree the ps2 is better than the DC, in the same breath there are millions who got more enjoyment out of the DC, and you know what, they are ALL right.

Who exactly do you think you are that you have the final say which system they thought was better. LOL :lol:

If I didn't know any better, it seems like it angers you that someone thinks differently than you do.

You must get angry a lot.

You have it ass-backwards my friend... I AM THE ONE who is speaking for the majority ON EARTH! The majority ON EARTH (Not just Atari Age) PREFER THE PS2. It is you Dreamcast fanboys who have such a narrow minded view, not I... Atari Age just has more DC fans than PS2 fans, and I explained why that is totally understandable. Atari fans like the underdog, because Atari was the underdog for over the past 10 years of its existence. Exactly the same as Sega.. Sega became the underdog for about the last 10 years of its existence (as a hardware maker) as well!!! I get the whole underdog thing. Again, I love my Jaguar... But I know where it stands in the world. I would never argue it being a better system than many systems which I prefer the Jag over, even though I know the other systems ARE BETTER...

Examples being - Saturn, Neo Geo CD & 3DO. These systems each have more good games than the Jag. Therefore they are the better systems. HOWEVER, I prefer the Jag over them. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THE JAGUAR IS BETTER THOUGH! Just like it doesn't mean the DC is better in the grand scheme of things, just because you PREFER it. Can you all understand where I am coming from, with this way of thinking!? Facts are facts, and you can't argue with them.

Edited by kevincal

You have it ass-backwards my friend... I AM THE ONE who is speaking for the majority ON EARTH!

Wow, just wow. Apparently more then 50% of the earth's inhabitants elected kevincal to speak for them. Dude, that is seriously impressive and you have some major authority.

Everyone will have different opinions and obviously stand by them staunchly but statements like that make me laugh regardless of which "side" they are coming from.

The sky is usually some shade of bluish during the day even if it's behind the clouds and for the most part we all have to eat, drink, expell waste, and breathe.

Can't we all just stop bickering and get back to enjoying the games and systems we do like whatever they may be and just not play the ones we don't?

In this case I agree with the following statement and that someone getting more enjoyment out of something is personal and does not necessarily equate with fancier mechanics. We're all members of an atari forum for goodness sake so we should know that by now. :)

To end the argument once and for all, and in my favor... :) This is a pole I did at Digital Press (a very NEUTRAL classic gaming forum) awhile back. After 11 RANDOM people voted, here's where things stood... ;)

"I thought it would be interesting to see what your personal favorite modern games and systems are. Here's the criteria.

List your top 20 favorite modern games (Dreamcast to present) and your top 5 favorite modern systems (Dreamcast to present). No systems or games older than the Dreamcast will be allowed (i.e. PS, N64 & Saturn etc.). Order is important. List your absolute favorite as #1 and work your way down in that fashion.

For your favorite games, you must list games from atleast 3 different systems and 2 different companies (i.e. Sega, Sony). For your favorite systems, you must list atleast 2 different companies systems. This is to try to eliminate atleast some fanboyism. Post Dreamcast released Arcade, handheld & pc games and systems will be accepted.

As far as popular games that have appeared on multiple systems. I think it would be best to list the exact version to be as accurate as possible. Be sure to identify the exact versions on your lists.

I will count US, Euro and Asian games as the same game if they are on the same system and totally unchanged from region to region. If there is a game that is significantly different in a certain region, just let me know.

Remember, this is your personal favorite games, not which game is best."

The point system:

For games (1-20)

1 = 40 points

2 = 38 points etc...

For systems (1-5)

1 = 40 points

2 = 32 points etc...

Games ------------------------------------ Points

Final Fantasy X (PS2) ------------------------- 84

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (PS2)------------ 78

Katamari Damacy (PS2) ------------------------ 72

Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (PS2) -------- 72

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (PS2) ----------- 66

Shenmue (DC) -------------------------------- 62

Halo Combat Evolved (XBOX) ------------------- 52

Super Mario Sunshine (GC) --------------------- 50

Ninja Five O (GBA) ----------------------------- 48

Super Smash Bros Melee (GC) ------------------ 46

Soul Calibur (DC) ------------------------------ 42

Disgaea Hour of Darkness (PS2) ---------------- 40

Gran Turismo 3 A Spec (PS2) ------------------ 40

Half Life 2 (XBOX) ----------------------------- 40

Jet Grind Radio (DC) --------------------------- 40

Wario Ware Mega Microgames (GBA) ------------ 40

Bioshock (PC) --------------------------------- 38

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (DC) -------------- 38

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (PS2) -------------- 38

Crackdown (360) ------------------------------ 36

Eternal Darkness (GC) ------------------------- 36

Guitar Hero (PS2) ----------------------------- 36

Oblivion (360) --------------------------------- 36

Psychonauts (XBOX) -------------------------- 36

Skies of Arcadia (DC) -------------------------- 36

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC) -------------------- 36

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) ----------------------- 36

World of Outlaws Sprintcars 2002 (PS2) -------- 36

Gitaroo Man (PS2) ----------------------------- 34

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) -------------------------- 34

Ico (PS2) ------------------------------------- 34

Marvel vs. Capcom (DC) ----------------------- 34

Pikmin (GC) ----------------------------------- 34

Baseball Advance (GBA) ----------------------- 32

Fable (XBOX) --------------------------------- 32

Mass Effect (360) ----------------------------- 32

Resident Evil 4 (Wii) --------------------------- 32

The Orange Box ------------------------------- 32

Wario Ware Inc. (GC) -------------------------- 32

Grandia 2 (DC) -------------------------------- 30

Harvest Moon Magical Melody (GC) ------------- 30

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 (PS2) -------------- 30

Zack & Wiki (Wii) ------------------------------ 30

Animal Crossing (GC) -------------------------- 28

Castlevania Circle of the Moon (GBA) ----------- 28

F Zero GX (GC) -------------------------------- 28

Pac Man CE (360) ----------------------------- 28

Team Fortress 2 (PC) -------------------------- 28

The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker (GC) ----- 28

Contact (DS) --------------------------------- 26

Counter Strike Source (PC) -------------------- 26

Gradius V (PS2) ------------------------------- 26

Guitar Hero 2 (360) ---------------------------- 26

Samba de Amigo (DC) ------------------------- 26

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (XBOX) ------------ 26

Bioshock (360) -------------------------------- 24

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (DS-JPN) -------------- 24

Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX) ------------------- 24

MX Unleashed (PS2) --------------------------- 24

Pac Man Vs (GC) ------------------------------ 24

Portal (PC) ------------------------------------ 24

Bangai O (DC) --------------------------------- 22

Burnout 3 Takedown (XBOX) ------------------- 22

Call of Duty 4 (360) --------------------------- 22

Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly (PS2) ---------- 22

Wario Ware 1st Edition (GBA) ------------------ 22

Amplitude (PS2) ------------------------------- 20

Final Fantasy XII (PS2) ------------------------ 20

Crysis (PC) ------------------------------------ 20

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots (PS3) --- 20

Sonic Adventure (DC) ------------------------- 20

Sonic Mega Collection (GC) -------------------- 20

Viewtiful Joe (GC) ----------------------------- 20

We Heart Katamari (PS2) ---------------------- 20

Disgaea 2 (PS2) ------------------------------- 18

Doom 3 Limited Collector's Edition (XBOX) ------- 18

Farcry (PC) ----------------------------------- 18

Car Battler Joe (GBA) -------------------------- 18

Soul Calibur II (GC) ---------------------------- 18

The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess (Wii) ----- 18

Waverace Blue Storm (GC) --------------------- 18

Assassin's Creed (360) ------------------------- 16

Culdcept Saga (360) -------------------------- 16

Halo 3 (360) ---------------------------------- 16

Headhunter (PS2) ----------------------------- 16

Wipeout Fusion (PS2) -------------------------- 16

Formula One 2001 (PS2) ----------------------- 14

Mars Matrix (DC) ------------------------------ 14

Super Monkey Ball (GC) ------------------------ 14

Devil May Cry 3 (PS2) ------------------------- 12

Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2) -------------- 12

New York Times Crosswords (DS) --------------- 12

Quake 3 Arena (DC) --------------------------- 12

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (PS2) ------------- 12

Final Fantasy X 2 (PS2) ------------------------ 10

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (XBOX) ------------- 10

Devil May Cry (PS2) ---------------------------- 8

God Hand (PS2) -------------------------------- 8

Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2) ------------------------- 8

Rhythm Tengoku (GBA-JPN) --------------------- 8

Splinter Cell (XBOX) ---------------------------- 8

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2) ----------------- 8

Crazy Taxi (DC) -------------------------------- 6

God of War (PS2) ------------------------------ 6

Half Life (PS2) ---------------------------------- 6

Toejam & Earl III (XBOX) ------------------------ 6

Wario Land 4 (GBA) ----------------------------- 6

Dawn of War + Expansions (PC) ----------------- 4

God of War 2 (PS2) ----------------------------- 4

Kororinpa Marble Mania (Wii) -------------------- 4

No More Heroes (Wii) --------------------------- 4

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) ------------------ 4

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (PS2) ----------------- 4

Black and White (PC) --------------------------- 2

Ouendan (DS) ---------------------------------- 2

Space Giraffe (XBLA) --------------------------- 2

Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow (PSP) ------------- 2

Tempest 3000 (NUON) -------------------------- 2

The World Ends with You (DS) ------------------ 2

Systems ----------------------------------- Points

Sony Playstation 2 --------------------------- 232

Sega Dreamcast ----------------------------- 128

Nintendo Gamecube --------------------------- 88

Microsoft XBOX 360 --------------------------- 72

Nintendo Gameboy Advance -------------------- 72

Microsoft XBOX ------------------------------- 64

Nintendo Wii ---------------------------------- 48

PC -------------------------------------------- 40

Nintendo DS ---------------------------------- 32

Sony Playstation Portable ---------------------- 32

Sony Playstation 3 ---------------------------- 24

NUON ------------------------------------------ 8

Now I'm not saying this is the end all, say all list. This list just proves my point that there are more DC fans at Atari Age than PS2 fans for various reasons. MANY of you DC fanboys & girls mistakenly thought this thread at Atari Age was a balanced argument/fair assessment of PS2 vs. DC, which it wasn't, as proven by this pole on another forum. :D But whatever, since there are so many people against me in this thread, somehow you all will continually group together and try to make me out to be the crazy one.. ;)

Edited by kevincal

To end the argument once and for all, and in my favor... :)

Just proves you still don't grasp a very key fundamental point.

The DC is the ONLY console of the last two generations to have been killed off after only 2 years. A good number of those games listed there came after the DC was already gone.

Then, the fact that you included all consoles to present. Since when are we trying to compare the DC to the Wii or 360?

Seriously, you're a trip. You should go join the Atari fanboys in the Atari vs C64 thread. Your nonsensical arguments will be a hit there.

So because the DC was killed off early, this gives it some special right that says "well, if the Dreamcast lasted longer, it COULD have been better than the PS2". That's like me saying (nonsensically) "If the Jaguar and Jag CD lasted longer, it COULD have been better than the Saturn."

That's the problem I am having with this argument. So many of you ASSUME the DC WOULD have been better (than the PS2) had it lasted as long as the PS2. So who are the crazy ones now? I mean, there's no way of anyone knowing this... ;) It's pure fanboy speculation!

Incase anyone cares (:P), here's how I voted:

Games

1. Gran Turismo 3 A Spec (PS2)

2. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (PS2)

3. World of Outlaws Sprintcars 2002 (PS2)

4. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)

5. Super Mario Sunshine (GC)

6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 (PS2)

7. F Zero GX (GC)

8. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (XBOX)

9. MX Unleashed (PS2)

10. Final Fantasy X (PS2)

11. Sonic Mega Collection (GC)

12. Waverace Blue Storm (GC)

13. Wipeout Fusion (PS2)

14. Formula One 2001 (PS2)

15. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)

16. Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (PS2)

17. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)

18. Crazy Taxi (DC) :D

19. Doom 3 Limited Collector's Edition (XBOX)

20. Tempest 3000 (NUON)

Systems

1. Sony Playstation 2

2. Nintendo Gamecube

3. Microsoft XBOX

4. Sega Dreamcast

5. NUON

Edited by kevincal

So because the DC was killed off early, this gives it some special right that says "well, if the Dreamcast lasted longer, it COULD have been better than the PS2". That's like me saying (nonsensically) "If the Jaguar and Jag CD lasted longer, it COULD have been better than the Saturn."

That's the problem I am having with this argument. So many of you ASSUME the DC WOULD have been better had it lasted as long as the PS2. So who are the crazy ones now? I mean, there's no way of anyone knowing this... ;) It's pure fanboy speculation!

:ponder: :roll:

Considering this has only been PROVEN on every single console ever made that the longer it was out, the better the games were, the more units it sold, the more games it sold........

If you HONESTLY believe that, then why not make a fair comparison then? Compare the DC against only the first two years of the PS2. The first two years of PS2 sales, first two years of PS2 library, first two years of PS2 game quality. Since if the PS2 had been killed off in only 2 years, that's all it would have to show for itself.

Well, have to give the PS2 this much: It had the first two Katamari Damacy games and they are both better then the 360 one.

DITTO!

If there was one reason to own a PS2, for me it's definitely the Katamari games. I was also kind of disappointed by the 360 version as well.

Dreamcast = :lust:

Ok, is there like a Dreamcast fanboy PORTAL/GATEWAY/WORMHOLE linked to this topic!? You DC fans are coming out of the woodwork! :P

Oh and the fact that I include the Dreamcast in with the Modern systems shows the respect I have for it. INFACT, the moderators over at Digital Press include the DC with CLASSIC systems, to which I started an argument over there about that. ;) Seriously though, Dreamcast game graphics are just as good as a lot of PS2, GC and XBOX games. Just as good as a lot of them....... Too bad it died and was left with a limited library... Compared to its 3 rivals above.

Edited by kevincal

I didn't even hardly fire up my PS2 the first year I got it.

Wasn't anything on it it worth spending the effort to push the "on" button.

I did love some of the later games though. Katamari especially!

Edited by moycon

My favorite post in the whole thread.

Edited by DracIsBack

If you HONESTLY believe that, then why not make a fair comparison then? Compare the DC against only the first two years of the PS2. The first two years of PS2 sales, first two years of PS2 library, first two years of PS2 game quality. Since if the PS2 had been killed off in only 2 years, that's all it would have to show for itself.

Hey, why be so mean to Sony's

effort?! :lol:

Let's give it a fair chance at least. So my charitable proposal is to pit just one single game from DC's US launch lineup against everything that came out on PS2 in its first two years? Sounds a toughie for Sega's finest to pull off but...

Soul Calibur (DC) VS. Complete game library 2 years post-launch (PS2)

:cool:

Edited by dreamcastrip

This is a pole I did at Digital Press ...

At times like this, the voice of Beavis enters my head and takes over.

Heh, heh. Heh.

You did a POLE. Did it hurt?

Shut up Beavis! He meant poll!

Heh heh heh heh

He said pole, he did a pole

Ok, is there like a Dreamcast fanboy PORTAL/GATEWAY/WORMHOLE linked to this topic!? You DC fans are coming out of the woodwork! :P

That would be awesome. I must be having a popular culture problem tonight, because all I can think of is Dreamcast Demons coming through a portal from one of several nerd hell dimensions, sucking the souls of the innocent PS2 masses as they roam through the otherwise quiet, nighttime streets...

Edited by akator

Soul Calibur is just another boring and dull fighting game *yawns* Ya it's pretty, like any other DC game. But like any other DC game, it's just another really short, arcadey type of game that gets boring in no time.. That's why the DC failed, people got bored of the games quickly. You "hardcore" people can't seem to understand that. It cracks me up that you all think people who prefer the PS2 over the DC somehow aren't as hardcore as DC fans... The problem with DC fans is you are all emotionally scarred by Sega, and don't know how to let go of their last, precious system (in your mind). So you defend your system against the evil corporate giant to the death, even if you are dead wrong. Personally, I grew out of the whole fanboy phase around the age of 16. Seems a lot of you don't know how to grow up and see things for how they really are, instead of how you feel (your inner fanboy).

Just to reitterate. I love many systems from all makers. I chose the Genesis over the SNES back in 1991 and still love my Genesis to this day. I am a Sega fan, but I'm also a Sony fan. As I love lots of games on the PS1 and 2. I can't say the same for the DC. The system just bored me after I got over the pretty graphics. The games only entertained me for such short periods of time.

And you know the biggest thing that bugs me about you DC fanboys.. You ALWAYS bring up graphics as your main argument about why the DC is better than the PS2.

Ok, even if the DC's graphics were better (which they aren't), the thing that most REAL hardcore gamers agree, is that its the GAMES that matter. Isn't GAMEPLAY supposed to matter more than GRAPHICS? YES... And the PS2 has this in spades over the DC. The FACT (yes... FACT) remains and will always remain and will always be the reason the PS2 is better (factually) than the DC. The Ps2 just has a lot more games and GOOD games than the DC! And that's it! Ya the DC died early, whatever. IN THE END, the PS2 won and the DC died. End of story.

Edited by kevincal