IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 8: Drol

JellE

Sorry it is taking me so long to update and stuff... we are still trying to unpack, as well as lots of terrible storms in the area the last few days. I will get everything updated as soon as I can! In the meantime... let's play:

Drol

Contest ends Friday, April 24, 2009 at 11:30 pm EDT.

Play on factory default settings. NOTE: Please play the B & W version as it is more reliable and will keep everything fair.

This was released in the US in 1983 by Brøderbund Software. It was programmed by Aik Beng. Here is the link to the instructions.

drol.gifdrol_2.gif

Have fun and good luck!!

P.S.I have posted all of the scores that have been entered. (Color as well as mono) All scores from this point on should be from the mono version only. Thanks!

8-BIT HIGH SCORE CLUB SEASON 6
Contest 8: Drol Ends: 11:30 PM EDT 04/24/2009
Player Place Score Points
therealbountybob 1st 16,665 12
darthkur 2nd 15,180 11
Zone Ranger 3rd 13,980 10
AB Positive 4th 12,635 9
Kurt_Woloch 5th 12,155 8
Goochman 6th 10,410 7
dodgers 7th 8,725 6
a8isa1 8th 7,535 5
Deteacher 9th 7,080 4
jetset 10th 6,540 3
TimsterAA HM/P 5,175 1
roadrunner HM/P 5,115 1
bluecat HM/P 4,595 1
spookt HM/P 4,460 1
doctorclu HM/P 2,335 1

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P
Edited by JellE

I could only manage 4,800 to start off.

At least I think that question mark looking thing is a three. :ponder:

I think that is a seven!

That's right. I've been watching the score closely as I go and they are indeed 7's. Thanks.

I can offer a couple tips as a bit of quid pro quo. :P I would anyways actually. :D On every 3rd board when you are attempting to rescue the mother it is highly advisable to lay down a continuous suppressing fire when heading to the right since the various sharp edged flying objects don't always show up on the radar. Also, always approach the snakes from above since they always fire downwards.

I had to switch to the monochrome version since I've had the color one, that's named Drol (1983)(Broderbund)[h color], modified 1-24-01, lock up on me each time I complete the 2nd round. I've also noticed that the color version is easier. For one, you can destroy the small devil character, which you're not supposed to be able to do. Another thing is that it's much easier to out maneuver both the magnets and the ground cars on the color one. There are also a lot of graphical errors present in the color rom, namely the artwork that frames the playing field on the left and right and most notably on the screen where the mother and children are reunited. I'm using Atari800Win Plus 3.1. Has anyone else had any of these issues? I have another color rom, entitled Drol (1983)(Broderbund)[h color][a], but it exhibits the same graphical errors. I have not played that one through to after the completion of board number 6 (end of round 2) though to see if it locks up. Perhaps this is why Atarimania only hosts the monochrome rom since both of the the color roms have issues? Might I suggest that we all utilize the mono version?

As you can see in the picture I could not get the PC keyboard to type in my name correctly, since the keys are all assigned differently between the PC and emulated A8. So my entry became JZVBR B 12,040. :P Oddly the high score board is in color. :ponder:

post-10357-1239587096_thumb.png

Sadly I only seem to have the colour version on my 130XE, used to play the mono version (used to borrow it as it was copy protected) which I thought was much more atmospheric. Colour version plays without any problems though. Darthkur - you can kill the witchdoctor bloke when he jumps...

Has anyone got an ATR or file version of the mono one that I can transfer to an Atari floppy disk? [EDIT - Found it on Fandal's site http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3955

Think I'm going to struggle a bit with this one as it's a tough game.... several goes later 8,740 (level 5) :)

post-19705-1239611698_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

OK, here's my best so far... 12155.

post-8393-1239635153_thumb.png

Here are some tips:

- The game basically consists of three rounds. In the first two, you have to catch both the lizard / crocodile and the girl / boy to continue, but it doesn't matter in which order. Shooting the balloon / helicopter before completing the level gets you another 100 points, however. In the third round, you simply have to reach the mother crying for help, which is located at the lower right.

- The turkey on round 1 gets you a relatively high 500 points. You can see it on the radar too (while you cannot see the dragon and the girl), so you can approach it and shoot it. But since the turkey flies at the same speed as you do, you won't be able to catch up to it once it has passed you.

- The enemies have to be hit on different body parts, depending on where they have the head. The enemies if round 1 (I think scorpions) have to be hit in the lower body part. The kangaroos (?) in round 2 can be hit in both body parts, and the snakes (?) in round 3 must be hit in the upper body part.

- The witch doctor in round 2 is normally indestructable unless he's jumping, then he can be killed in mid-air. The magnets are also indestructable, but until they have attached to you, you can keep them far from you by shooting them repeatedly.

- In round 2, it's generally advisable to change the level you're on often since the witch doctor and the magnets will come to your level, but will take some time to do so again after you've changed level.

- In round 3, there are three openings leading to the lowest level, but two of them are protected by deadly flowers. You have to try out which one is free by going down briefly, but immediately going up again in order not to be hit by the flower that will maybe appear.

- The flying arrows and spears in round 3 are dangerous, but also bring you 100 points each if hit. And since they come in masses, this is a way to rack up points quickly. However, the tomahawks don't give you any points.

- It often pays off to stop flying and stand in your place if you get attacked from the left or right, especially after the monsters have started shooting. This way you will have more time to hit any oncoming enemies. Only move left and right if your path is clear for a while.

- The difficulty doesn't increase by rounds or levels here, but by your score. That is, the enemies start shooting, and the honking vacuum cleaners come out as soon as you've reached 4000 points, no matter what level you're on at that point. That is, round 4 is the same as round 1 if it were not for your score.

- This game is similar to "Kung Fu Master" in that you need to confront the enemies head on. Having an enemy run into your back is the sure death.

- Actually, my way of achieving a high score was not to try to beat as many rounds as possible. The reason for this is that with shooting enemies, round 3 is easier than the other rounds because you can hover in the air and hit oncoming enemies in the head while their shots, which go down diagonally, will never touch you as long as you shoot the enemies in time. In addition to that, you can also hit masses of oncoming arrows. This is how I made my high score.

I think the codebase for the Atari 8-bit and C-64 versions of this game is pretty much the same. The game seems to play exactly the same except for the differences in sound and colors (and the high-score list). I also don't think it's faster than the C-64 version, but it may be because it completely works with software sprites which are drawn by the CPU and there are some slowdowns if too many objects are on the screen at the same time. Since the C-64's CPU is clocked slower, however, on the C-64 version probably more slowdowns will occur, so it might well appear slower than the Atari one.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

- Actually, my way of achieving a high score was not to try to beat as many rounds as possible. The reason for this is that with shooting enemies, round 3 is easier than the other rounds because you can hover in the air and hit oncoming enemies in the head while their shots, which go down diagonally, will never touch you as long as you shoot the enemies in time. In addition to that, you can also hit masses of oncoming arrows. This is how I made my high score.

That's referred to as "camping" or "spawning" which is considered by most as an act of cheating and to be unethical. :ponder: I was under the assumption that pretty much all the HSC's frowned upon that. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. Just relaying info.

That's referred to as "camping" or "spawning" which is considered by most as an act of cheating and to be unethical. :ponder: I was under the assumption that pretty much all the HSC's frowned upon that. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. Just relaying info.

Yes, this HSC also frowns upon using exploits or glitches in the games.

Here is the deal folks... I don't have the time or the energy most days to go around policing every game that is played. I have to rely on you guys to be straight up and honest about stuff. Unless I get a chance to actually play a game, I don't know about any bugs, glitches, or hacks. (Unless someone else tells me about them.) This is supposed to be for fun.. even though we have some fierce competitions going on sometimes.

My point is this, let's all just try to have fun, and be fair. If there are issues, let me know, and I will see what I can do to resolve them.

I'm glad we're playing the B&W version. I d/led the color version and I couldn't finish level 1 because I couldn't find the girl's pet.

Is the reason I can't fire sometimes because there are too many things on the screen at certain times?

I think it's when you are turning and haven't fully turned? (or maybe when you already have all your bullets on screen?)

Well, i've beaten round 2, 11,830 (the @s are me, honest, wouldn't let me enter the score, could just hear the key clicks... Has anyone got a mono copy that will let you enter the names?.. presume this was corrupted when they took the copy protection off...) boy this game is tough... good variety of nasties and nice little message after each round to keep the interest :)

Very addictive game 13,045 ;)

post-19705-1239717872_thumb.jpg

post-19705-1239727372_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

I think it's when you are turning and haven't fully turned? (or maybe when you already have all your bullets on screen.

I'm not sure...there are times when I'm flying in one direction or the other and I don't have any shots in the air but I can't get any shots out. I don't know, but I'll keep playing. :)