IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 8: Drol

JellE

Turn on artifacting and the b&w game becomes color!! ;)

Can someone post a photo of the mono version running on a US TV so I can have a look at how good the artifacing really looks? In the UK we get a few green and purple bits... Always wondered what Ultima III (still mean to finish this after a break of 15 years or so!) was meant to look like too :cool:

The mono colour version and the mono version play the same... the colour copy I have has only the bottom of screen message on the end of round screens plus a couple of black lines in the artwork to make the picture look like its reflecting on a river (maybe) plus the initials AB in the top left.

Anyhoo... been playing more, jeepers got to level 9 but blew it... 2 witch-docs on level 8 is not good for the nerves... not quite a PB but am pleased it's just pipped the kurmeister 15,285 As for strategy; just 'Go For It' seems to be the best way for me. Game On :P

post-19705-1239889954_thumb.jpg

I thought we weren't supposed to play the color version of Drol no more?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but we're supposed to play the black and white version of Drol right?

You can get color video output on the monochrome version by selecting "artifacting" on the emulator, as Shannon stated. I selected Blue/Brown #1.

I thought we weren't supposed to play the color version of Drol no more?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but we're supposed to play the black and white version of Drol right?

You can get color video output on the monochrome version by selecting "artifacting" on the emulator, as Shannon stated. I selected Blue/Brown #1.

I didn't know that. My bad. :dunce: Sorry Goochman. I apologize.

It's hard to keep track of all these high score clubs.

Is there an actual color version (one that doesn't use artifacting)?

Hi ZR, yes there is a colour version (mostly red and blue!)... it does have exactly the same game play: there is no ad or disad vantage using it (see other posts for some of the cosmetic differences). I'm still looking for any version that lets you enter your name on the scoreboard as reloading is a bind!

OK, another score, without "camping"... 10500. Actually, it's a bit more, but the screenshot wasn't taken for some reason (I guess this only works in MESS with partial keyboard emulation), and I can't remember how far over that I got. Anyway, I got to Level 5 this time, and the second witch doctor appears at 10.000 points with a special sound. From that point, the end wasn't too far away.

However, I noticed something more... the enemies on the second level can be hit at the top (only those at the first one cannot), so you should better stay in the upper lane and shoot them. Another thing you should try is to get away from situations where you have to meet mixed types of enemies at once. For instance, you should not try to shoot the turkey at the first round at the same time as the other enemies, because for hitting the turkey, you have to fly high, and for hitting the enemies you have to fly low, which means that if you meet both at the same time, you will only be able to shoot one of them, and be killed by the other. The same goes for other combinations like that, for instance, arrows or tomahawks flying in the middle of round 3 at the same time with the enemies which you have to fly at the top for, or avoiding the honking vacuum cleaners at later first levels at the same time as shooting one of the enemies... it just doesn't work this way.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

Not here... I still see monochrome on my tv, and I'm NTSC stateside. *shrugs*

Finally hit the top five screen though! I'm the 12635

You need to use RF or Composite Video output to see artifacting. You won't see it using Y/C.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

You need to use RF or Composite Video output to see artifacting. You won't see it using Y/C.

- Steve Sheppard

.. I am using RF :/

ehehehe, I just get gray and green. Touch of Red for the title but otherwise it's sort-of-monochrome.

- Steve Sheppard

.. I am using RF :/

ehehehe, I just get gray and green. Touch of Red for the title but otherwise it's sort-of-monochrome.

I just learned my 800 (GTIA & OSB upgraded) has a diffferent color scheme than my 800XL. The former has bright blue floors and columns for level 1 and the title is a rust red. The latter has bright green and magenta, repectively.

- Steve Sheppard