IGNORED

New Video Adapter for S-Video On Atari ST/TT Systems

Any updates on this? Still looking to get one of these.

We're still working on it. we keep running into a problem with the Sync signals. not sure why but they don't seem to be compatible with the decoder chip that we have used.

Any updates?

Yeah me too - would love to hear some news on this. Sure did start

out as a very promising project! :)

We're still working on it. we keep running into a problem with the Sync signals. not sure why but they don't seem to be compatible with the decoder chip that we have used.

Any updates?

We've brought in some help from an old school engineer that worked for Atari under the Tramiels. Hopefully he can shed a little light on the problem. =)

We've brought in some help from an old school engineer that worked for Atari under the Tramiels. Hopefully he can shed a little light on the problem. =)

Hey, thats great news! Hopefully you'll have it resolved soon.

If its not prying too much, can you reveal the name of that engineer?

Just curious! :)

Any updates?

Out of spec HSYNC signal, so AD72x and friends can't properly sync up.

Any updates?

So is there another chip I should try in the design?

I haven't found one. Simple NTSC encoders are getting hard to find.

I thought about 'fixing' HSYNC, but haven't had time to do so.

The issue I'm referencing will result in horizontal pixel jitter ('dancing' pixels)

The issue I'm referencing will result in horizontal pixel jitter ('dancing' pixels)

We are getting horizontal scrambling. like a macrovision protection effect. or the way old analog movie channels used to look if you had not subscribed to them.

We are getting horizontal scrambling. like a macrovision protection effect. or the way old analog movie channels used to look if you had not subscribed to them.

Wow that's really weird. What are you using for the AD72x clock source?

• 3 weeks later...

I had, and still do,have a problem with my ST's working with LCD Monitor via TV tuner (the tuner I have, contains RF input, composite, and SVIDEO with VGA out). The sync signals somehow are not compatible, Macrovision effect. The ones with sync problem were 520ST, 1040STF, Atari 5200, TI99. On the other hand, all my Amigas worked perfectly.

The Schematic on this website http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem/martbean/ataridiy/conv.htm shows the H and V sync combined using an AND gate, I did not try this myself so I'm not sure it will work in your application.

To get my ST display correctly on LCD I use TBC - Time Base Corrector, very bulky and not practical. The TBC strips the old sync and generates new one.

I had, and still do,have a problem with my ST's working with LCD Monitor via TV tuner (the tuner I have, contains RF input, composite, and SVIDEO with VGA out). The sync signals somehow are not compatible, Macrovision effect. The ones with sync problem were 520ST, 1040STF, Atari 5200, TI99. On the other hand, all my Amigas worked perfectly.

The Schematic on this website http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem/martbean/ataridiy/conv.htm shows the H and V sync combined using an AND gate, I did not try this myself so I'm not sure it will work in your application.

To get my ST display correctly on LCD I use TBC - Time Base Corrector, very bulky and not practical. The TBC strips the old sync and generates new one.

The ST sync signal is a mess.

The problem with Atari ST and some newer (LCD) TVs is that ST generates not standard TV signal. Line number is even. and it is not acceptable by some devices, converting chips. Of course, no any logical combining of H and V signals will help to make it better. TBC is only solution, as is mentioned. Or other TV/converter.

We Found the problem. The AD72x is not compatible with the Sync signals that come out of the ST's. We have a new design with a new chip and we think we might have a winner. =)

Hang in there all you ST nuts!!! =)

Very good to hear, looking forward to hearing what you come up with!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am looking to add an ST to my Atari gaming collection. I am having trouble finding one with RF which I need since I want to display on a TV with my other game consoles. This looks like a great idea that would fill the bill.

I really enjoyed the thread so far. It is like a soap opera - I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Catsmasher

PS It has been a whole month - Any update?

• 2 months later...

Any Further details on this unit will now be posted in the ST/TT/Falcon Section of my new Atari Discussion Forums. =)

And Yes. There IS new Info.

Thanks Folks. =)

http://www.atarian.info

I give up - here at work we are forced/beaten into using IE8 and I tried everything, and

after about 20 attempts I surrender.

Microsoft Products - they may be bloated, but gosh they're hard to use! :)

Perhaps someone can e-mail me the highlights of this forum.

Any Further details on this unit will now be posted in the ST/TT/Falcon Section of my new Atari Discussion Forums. =)

And Yes. There IS new Info.

Thanks Folks. =)

http://www.atarian.info

I give up - here at work we are forced/beaten into using IE8 and I tried everything, and

after about 20 attempts I surrender.

Microsoft Products - they may be bloated, but gosh they're hard to use! :)

Perhaps someone can e-mail me the highlights of this forum.

for anyone having difficulty making a new account, Send me an email ( kjmann12@yahoo.com ) and I will create an account for you on my end. =)

I'll save everyone the time of signing up for yet another forum.

kjman says this on his forum post :

We Now Have a Working Prototype!!!

After months of looking for a compatible chip for the conversion I finally found one. as soon as I have some boards done and the design cleaned up we will be selling them. =)

This Unit will give the ST (or any ST type system with the 13pin DIN output) a S-Video Out and RCA Jack with Audio output.

The Picture so Far as I can tell is very Sharp. 80 Columns in MED Res is very nice, sharp and readable.

More on this VERY Soon. =)

Frankly I'm not sure why I needed to sign up for another forum to get that information, but alas.

• Like 3

Just must not be my day.

I tried logging into the account with the username "DarkLord"

and using the password you sent me. Still says invalid username

/password combo.

I tried creating a new account with a different name. I got as

far as the activation screen, so I put in the code that was

sent in a separate e-mail, and it says its incorrect (tried

multiple times).

This is under Linux and Firefox. :(

Oh well.....