IGNORED

Well my parents finally threatened to take my games away

No way in hell do I want to go back. Not even close or for one minute. You can keep that crap. I am who I am for surviving everything I did even if barely, and I wouldn't want to be anyone else. While I have done some stupid ass stuff to put it nicely, I would not want to go through it again. I've got a great kid out of the deal and some amazing friends and people I care about very much. Besides, I like being able to *legally* buy a drink when I want to, lol. :D ;)

There is that. :)

Remember that rash of body swapping movies we had in the late 80s? I sort of remember the one that starred that kid from Wonder Years. The dad ended up in his kid's body, dealing with the crap of being a kid again, but having the knowledge of being an adult. Sort of a double-edged sword: you can deal with some problems much better, but you also have to deal with the frustration of knowing that some things simply aren't allowed, no matter who you are inside.

I'd hate to live through my teen years again, but I'd love to avoid some of the health problems I caused myself by being stupid, and avoid the debt I got myself into during my 20s. And avoid my first wife, definitely! :P I think it would be worth it, given the choice....especially if I could use my present-day knowledge to still seek out my current wife, whose love is the best thing that ever happened to me.

No way in hell do I want to go back. Not even close or for one minute. You can keep that crap. I am who I am for surviving everything I did even if barely, and I wouldn't want to be anyone else. While I have done some stupid ass stuff to put it nicely, I would not want to go through it again. I've got a great kid out of the deal and some amazing friends and people I care about very much. Besides, I like being able to *legally* buy a drink when I want to, lol. :D ;)

There is that. :)

Remember that rash of body swapping movies we had in the late 80s? I sort of remember the one that starred that kid from Wonder Years. The dad ended up in his kid's body, dealing with the crap of being a kid again, but having the knowledge of being an adult. Sort of a double-edged sword: you can deal with some problems much better, but you also have to deal with the frustration of knowing that some things simply aren't allowed, no matter who you are inside.

I'd hate to live through my teen years again, but I'd love to avoid some of the health problems I caused myself by being stupid, and avoid the debt I got myself into during my 20s. And avoid my first wife, definitely! :P I think it would be worth it, given the choice....especially if I could use my present-day knowledge to still seek out my current wife, whose love is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Ah, but if you could change the past with your ex, and you went to your current wife, your relationship would be different as you'd be starting the relationship earlier than when you really did, thus all your experiences would be totally altered.

Not that any of this matters, but it's fun to think about if we could go back.. ya know, the whole butterfly effect :P

But honestly, I'd seriously NOT want to relive my teen years. I definitely wouldn't want to be back in college, and the last relationship I think i'd still have as it prepared me for the one I have now.. which I wouldn't change for the world.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Arguments over grades happen. My dad said that all my stuff is going to be taken away until my grades come up. Well I rebutted that statement with "good luck renting out the storage unit and paying every month". He then said that it would all be thrown away. I said "yeah well that's all my property aside from the 360 and computer". He stormed off knowing I was right.

As a parent of a teenage boy. All I can say is that you are very fortunate that your dad is being so kind. You wouldn't like me as your dad. If it wouldn't have happended sooner, you'd probably have my size 12 boot up your keester about now. YOU have alot of nerve to "mouth off" to your parents and to go behind your parents backs, and even less pride in your family, to air these kinds on things on a public forum. Your kind makes for good afternoon TV I guess.

My son knows that as long as he lives in my house (as a non-adult, non-renting tenant), all items in his possession are mom and dads repsonsiblity and we have domain over there use, misuse and whether he gets to keep them or not (after all we pay for his room, board, his health, storage and most importantly his means to aquire these things in the first place). You dad has every right to hold these things over you. If there is one place where your dad has failed, it appears it would be in the area of teaching repsect for your parents and elders. For that, I feel very sorry for you and your parents.

-Lee

I had one of those dreams where I found myself back in junior high with my adult knowledge. "Yay! I'll be able to correct everything that went wrong! I'll be able to redo the errors of my youth!"

And then I spent the rest of my dream wandering around the school's halls, trying to remember what classes I was taking on August 3, 1982. Then I couldn't get into my locker because I'd forgotten my combination over the years. And I missed my bus because I've forgotten which one I used to ride as a kid. So all of my family and friends thought I had gotten stupid overnight.

Might make for a good book one day. Just because you recall the big events of your youth doesn't mean you'll remember the important day-to-day details of your life surrounding those events.

If I may venture an opinion, could we have you lock this thread up sometime, Stitch666? It seems your parental dispute is over now, and you've gotten plenty of good advice here. I can't imagine this thread is serving any purpose now other than to sully your reputation here and clog up a gaming thread (maybe next time general topic would be a better place to put this).

Not trying to be mean, I just think the usefulness of this topic has been far tapped, and I don't want you regretting putting this here as I have a feeling the topic will be carried away far from it's original topic.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

My wife threatened to do that to me during our last year of college! In that year, I ended up failing my A-Levels despite my immense intellegence with computers and got a D in my GCSE Media Studies!

She was just showing off that she got over half-a-dozen A grades despite doing exams while heavily pregnant and very tired.

(we were both 19 and 18 at the time and married two months before our first daughter was born - to my surprise, we're still married 11 years on.

I would think of all places you'd find little to no love for teenage drama it would be at Atari age. Most people here are likely double your age. I'm only four years away from it myself. :sad: I was officially released in 1979... Just like the Intellivision. lol (yes I know the INTV existed in 1978 but technically so did I!)

My dad once told me my Genesis was going to get axed if I didn't stop being a smart ass in school. Guess what happed... That's right, blast processing all over the place. Daddy don't bluff around here. I'm still a smart ass though. lol It must not have worked!

Wow, I would have run away and never came back or spoke to him again. I am 36, and luckily my parents never touched my stuff when I was younger and left me to be (I never got into any major trouble though, and was a good kid).

You studying now? 'cause D's, F's, and a 120 IQ are too close for comfort to not passing your senior year.

Part of what you learn in high school is work ethic. You learn to do things that don't necessarily entertain you. You're not going to like every job you have, but you're going to have to work them anyway.

Kudos to Lee. That's how I was raised, and by a single father at that. I am a firm believer in ruling with an iron fist if that is what is necessary.

Yesterday a friend told me her much younger brother swore at their mother (my friend was only home to visit and doesn't normally see this interaction). So, the mother went into his room, took his 360, and told him he wouldn't see it again that month. We all agreed to on two things: 1) It was the proper thing to do 2) if we'd sworn at our mothers, we'd have gotten the 360 smashed on our heads. I couldn't swear in the house, let alone at my parents.

If I'd have sworn within earshot of my parents, I'd literally have had a smarting mouth. Not a smart mouth, a smarting mouth. Even my Mom wouldn't have put up with that when she was still with us. I was about seven when I started learning foul language, and it was dealt with real quick.

High school was easy for me senior year, I had no math and no science

Periods 1&2 I had shop class ( all I did was make stuff)

3 was film studies ( movie time)

4 was gym ( my least favorite)

5 was english ( teacher was cool as hell)

6 lunch aka the best time of the day

7 was American government (easy as he'll and the teacher was the Man)

And 8 was American history ( easy and cool teacher)

I had only 2 projects and maybe 1 or 2 homework assignments all year. Every teacher I had kicked ass. My junior year was almost just as easy, but n order to get this I had to bust my ass freshmen and sophmore years.

My point of this post is not to brag about how easy my senior year was, but to give an example how it's best to just get the work that's important done now, and them the time is all yours, that was only a year ago. Trust me man, get the school bull shot out of the way, it's easier in the long run. You dad is trying to help you, and he may take your games away, but I highly doubt he would throw them away. If he did that that would be a dick move and you would have a right to be pissed. And I don't think what you said was rude at all if you used the right tone. Remember, itsnot what you say, it's how you say it.

There's my advice for the day. ;)

Well I'm 19 and can tell you that the simplest things like paying attention in class and doing homework makes all the difference. Of course a bad teacher will not help but if you think "I'm showing him." it will help you ignore the hardships they or the class subject itself bestow.

I had a teacher that didn't like a friend of mine because he didn't pay attention to his boring classes and still got good marks because he prefered to study alone. Just find what suits you best.

I study to VG music myself :P.

Edited by AtticGamer

My parents have always done that since i was a 9-year-old Animan. They never actually do, but they do ground me from it, thought i am rather sneaky, like i am right now, on my laptop while i'm supposed to be in bed, they don't know. *evil laugh*

• 3 months later...

Jesus christ my mom ALWAYS threatens to take my games away. Whenever she does I just boldly say "I payed for them beotch :grin: " I spent my whole entire bank account on most of my game systems and I'm not gonna let her take them away. She always comes up with excuses like "it's my electricity". Besides, I'm going to notice her unhook and drag 20 game systems out of my room.

Dragging up an old thread huh?

Your statement is asking for it in my book. I don't think you'd be very happy if you were my kid and pulled that. That's all I can say. :)

Jesus christ my mom ALWAYS threatens to take my games away. Whenever she does I just boldly say "I payed for them beotch :grin: " I spent my whole entire bank account on most of my game systems and I'm not gonna let her take them away. She always comes up with excuses like "it's my electricity". Besides, I'm going to notice her unhook and drag 20 game systems out of my room.

First off, calling your mother a bitch makes you a bad person no matter how much of a bitch your mother actually is. Dude, she's your mom. If I ever did anything like that to my mom when I was a kid, my dad would have knocked me straight through a wall.

Second, how about you just stop doing things that would make your mother threaten to take your games away? I mean, I rarely showed up to school during high school and I still graduated in the top 10%, scoring over 30 on the ACT. Nothing about high school is hard, especially when compared to the real world.

Second, how about you just stop doing things that would make your mother threaten to take your games away? I mean, I rarely showed up to school during high school and I still graduated in the top 10%, scoring over 30 on the ACT. Nothing about high school is hard, especially when compared to the real world.

It must depend on the decade, how smart you are, and if you're f*cked up in the head in some way. If you had learning difficulties, high school could feel like it was as hard as 8 years of college:

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=1863454

So you resurrected this thread just to brag that you "boldly" call your mom a bitch and brag that you get all up inner face and shit. :roll:

Way to go junior. Way to garner respect on this board. Did you not read ANY of the comments in this thread before popping off? Damn.

21oueci.jpg

EDIT: I also noticed that your avatar has "RESPECT YOUR ELDERS" with an Atari on it. So you respect the 2600, but not your own folks. Wow, I don't know what to think now.

Edited by Snider-man

This thread makes me feel old.

Technically I could be a parent to a high school kid, if any condoms had failed while I was in high school... :)

If I would have talked to my parents like that, I wouldn't be alive today.

And finish high school. The grades don't matter as long as you graduate, and get into college. Nobody ever looks at your high school grades ever again. Had I known that, I would have screwed around even more instead of taking extra AP classes.

This thread makes me feel old.

Technically I could be a parent to a high school kid, if any condoms had failed while I was in high school... :)

If I would have talked to my parents like that, I wouldn't be alive today.

And finish high school. The grades don't matter as long as you graduate, and get into college. Nobody ever looks at your high school grades ever again. Had I known that, I would have screwed around even more instead of taking extra AP classes.

Of course grades matter. How would you even get into (a worthwhile) college with lousy grades? And if college isn't for you, your high school record and maybe some a couple of references from typical high-school-kid jobs are all you have heading into the adult world. Generally speaking.

Of course grades matter. How would you even get into (a worthwhile) college with lousy grades? And if college isn't for you, your high school record and maybe some a couple of references from typical high-school-kid jobs are all you have heading into the adult world. Generally speaking.

Well, if you manage to ace the ACT/SAT it doesn't matter as much... I didn't say 'lousy' grades... I said 'screw around more'!

AP classes were a waste, I could have taken the standard classes and gotten better grades overall. Our system didn't do weighted grades or anything. What a shaft.