IGNORED

Well my parents finally threatened to take my games away

Arguments over grades happen. My dad said that all my stuff is going to be taken away until my grades come up. Well I rebutted that statement with "good luck renting out the storage unit and paying every month". He then said that it would all be thrown away. I said "yeah well that's all my property aside from the 360 and computer". He stormed off knowing I was right.

I'm not so sure you should go that route. I assume you didn't pay for your bed, your clothing, your food, or even the toothpaste in the bathroom. I would just be happy I had parents that cared enough to get involved when I was doing something wrong, they are only trying to help you.

Why do they even give a damn about your grades? I never even bothered to show up to high school half the time, and trust me, it didn't hurt me one bit. I went on to get nothing but A's and B's in college, and no employer has ever asked me how I did in high school. High school does not matter.

High school grades are very important to those seeking acceptance at top colleges and to those trying to obtain scholarships. The grades that are earned are only part of the overall picture though. Courses taken, extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation and scores on standardized tests are also very important.

Although there are plenty of anecdotes, the US census data shows that the level of education is directly related to income.

Edited by DeusExMachina

So basically you should spend your teenage years trying to avoid the rampant STD's out there, try not to end up in jail, avoid a DUI or DWI, trying not to fail the drug tests that most employers give you (including fast food jobs). Yeah sounds natural to me, for a derelict addict on the streets maybe? Condoning minors to participate in illegal as well as immoral activities would definitely be a low point in someone's life and probably not the best thing to be advocating on a family website where there are a lot of younger teens. And if their life completely fails because of your advice are you going to take them in and take care of them? Are you gonna pay for a kid if they get knocked up or knock someone up if an accident happens? Are you going to pay for the health care and medical bills if they catch something nasty or for any kids? Morally wrong to do what you suggest you mean.

Way to go. :roll:

Eff that garbage.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but I do feel it's morally wrong. Your teenaged years should be spent enjoying life, smoking pot, and trying to lose your virginity, not doing a bunch of unnatural crap in order to impress some damned Ivy-league university.

There is nothing wrong with fun and you don't have to do something illegal to do it. And yes while a juvenile record may be sealed, it really can haunt you and screw over the rest of your life. No one said anything about having to impress Ivy League colleges, everyone should try to find their place in life and find a career that they can be happy with as well as being sucessful, travel the world and explore if you can, join the peace corps, buuld a house for habitat for humanity go do something "real". You're never going to forget this time and you'll have to look at yourself for the rest of your life and answer for it whether it's to yourself or a higher power you believe in.

There is also nothing wrong with waiting for the right person to be intimate with because when two people get together who have deep feelings, trust, and mutual respect for each other believe me it's the most amazing thing in the world that can't be described with words and better then any cheap sex or one night stand you could ever have.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but I do feel it's morally wrong. Your teenaged years should be spent enjoying life, smoking pot, and trying to lose your virginity, not doing a bunch of unnatural crap in order to impress some damned Ivy-league university.

Sounds like a character from a bad teen movie...

I hated school. I don't think I ever actually "did" a research paper. I was a jackass but at the same time, I was a nice person. My teachers all liked me, and I got along with my parents. We had our arguments, but we always got over them. I never got grounded or anything, they'd just give me the guilt trip. And they never cared about cursing (unless it was to them) in that case I'd get knocked out. But cursing over the net? Who cares. I dropped the f bomb all the time when I was with my friends, they did the same when they were kids. You can't get mad at someone for doing something when you did the same thing.

Exactly the same here.

Sorry but slapping a kid in the face just for lying is totally out of line.

When I was a kid, lying to your parents was just about the worst thing you could do. My parents almost never touched me, but lying was a great way to test those waters. Lying is the ultimate form of disrespect. Calling my mom a bitch would have been an instant slap in the face. She slapped me exactly one time when I was a kid, but I never called her a bitch, probably because I'm not a disrespectful little turd.

In-N-Out's fries taste bland at first, if you've spent your life gobbling McDonald's and Burger King fries. Then you figure out that what you're tasting is the actual potato, as opposed to whatever salt and artificial flavor and color the other chains are putting in theirs. I hate to admit it, but I think In-N-Out's general decency can be directly attributed to the fact that the company is run by Christians.

In-N-Out's general decency can be chalked up to the fact that is is privately owned and therefore does not have to cut costs to appease greedy shareholders, and because the family who owns it are decent people. Their religious views have nothing to do with it.

You guys ever get your fries "well done"? Oh man. Awesome. I just ate In-N-Out about 20 minutes ago. Grilled Cheese with grilled onions, extra tomato, and extra pickles with an order of fries well done. Terrific.

Chris

(Ross PK @ Wed Aug 5, 2009 12:47 PM) *

Sorry but slapping a kid in the face just for lying is totally out of line.

Why not? I got slapped in the face when I was a kid--the last time was when I was about 10 years old--and guess what? I turned out perfectly fine. Granted, it wasn't a regular occurrence--it didn't happen every time I was bad. I could probably count on both hands how many times it happened. The key to it is that you don't slap them hard enough to really hurt them--ie bloody their nose, black their eyes, etc. That would be wrong. The way to do it is to slap them just hard enough to get their attention, so that they know you mean business. It's the same way with spanking. You don't hit the child hard enough to seriously hurt them, ie beating, just hard enough that they know you mean business. Come to think of it, I deserved a whole lot more corporal punishment than I actually got.

What is out of line is when a parent fails to control and/or punish their kids and complete strangers in public are forced to to deal with the consequences, like I was earlier.

I'm glad some other folks are pointing out that "the old ways" of discipline meant something other than abuse. There is a fine line between abuse and corporal punishment and what my grandmother did to me was not abuse it was my fault as I had been getting more out of line as most kids do and she brought me back to reality. Hitting with a closed fist or bruising or drawing blood is abuse and not acceptable.

As i mentioned before some kids are intelligent and or mature enough that verbal warnings,groundings,and discussion of the problem is enough but sometimes you get kids who will not respond to anything less than physical correction.

When I was growing up these were rules not just for me but for all the kids in the neighborhood:

Until i was 18 I had to refer to all adults as Mr./Ms./Mrs. Smith never by the first name.

You had to ask permission to set foot on someone else's property (to retrieve a ball etc...) there was no running through peoples yards.

Profanity was not allowed period until age 18.

If we acted up in school the nuns would punish us and when we got home we got punished again because we acted up in school.

If we were shopping no running,no screaming,and absolutely no touching or picking up merchandise.

My initial thought was, "Why the Hell couldn't you touch or pick up merchandise!?"

But then I thought about all the times I've gone to a store like KayBee, Toys R Us, Ross, Target, or whatever, and the place has looked like a disaster area because parents just let their children run amok like animals.

Never-mind.

My initial thought was, "Why the Hell couldn't you touch or pick up merchandise!?"

But then I thought about all the times I've gone to a store like KayBee, Toys R Us, Ross, Target, or whatever, and the place has looked like a disaster area because parents just let their children run amok like animals.

Never-mind.

My mom was just concerned that we would break whatever said merchandise was and the rule in most stores was, "You break it, you pay for it." Just as it should've been, too. Plus, it kinda went along with the rule that we weren't to mess with things that didn't belong to us unless we had permission. Another good rule of thumb that most parents today seem to have omitted. It's still a rule I abide by today. It taught me to respect other people's property and to expect them to respect mine.

I'm glad some other folks are pointing out that "the old ways" of discipline meant something other than abuse. There is a fine line between abuse and corporal punishment and what my grandmother did to me was not abuse it was my fault as I had been getting more out of line as most kids do and she brought me back to reality. Hitting with a closed fist or bruising or drawing blood is abuse and not acceptable.

As i mentioned before some kids are intelligent and or mature enough that verbal warnings,groundings,and discussion of the problem is enough but sometimes you get kids who will not respond to anything less than physical correction.

When I was growing up these were rules not just for me but for all the kids in the neighborhood:

Until i was 18 I had to refer to all adults as Mr./Ms./Mrs. Smith never by the first name.

You had to ask permission to set foot on someone else's property (to retrieve a ball etc...) there was no running through peoples yards.

Profanity was not allowed period until age 18.

If we acted up in school the nuns would punish us and when we got home we got punished again because we acted up in school.

If we were shopping no running,no screaming,and absolutely no touching or picking up merchandise.

Exactly. My point exactly. I and countless other people I know went through corporal punishment, not abuse, and we turned out perfectly fine. There is a fine line between corporal punishment and abuse, but it's not hard to figure out where to draw the line. As you said, making bruises, drawing blood, breaking bones, etc., that is abuse. Slapping someone's face just hard enough to get their attention is not abuse. It'll hack 'em off, guaranteed, but that does not constitute abuse. Doing like my dad has done before, where he lost his temper at us and knocked one of us to the ground and started kicking us or grabbed one of us by the hair and slung us around--now that, I would say, qualifies as abuse simply because it is excessive and unnecessary, but it's not really physical abuse so much as it is emotional abuse. It does nothing but breed resentment when it becomes excessive like that. So that's why you, the parent, don't let it get excessive. You don't let your kid keep doing something that is wrong or that is annoying you and then let them keep doing it and keep doing it and keep doing it until it has you so annoyed, aggravated, angry, etc., that you lash out at them in anger as a way of punishing them. No, because that's when punishment has a tendency to turn into abuse--because you're angry--and therein was my dad's problem. What he should've done was to nip in the bud whatever it was that was wrong or that was annoying him and dole out the punishment, if necessary, right then. That way, he wouldn't be angry when he was dealing with the offender and the offense, and the punishment would not become excessive and the punishment would definitely fit the crime.

Pardon me, I don't normally ramble like that, putting my thoughts down as they come to me. Normally, I'm much more coherent in my writing than that. But forgive me, it is nearly 6 am.