IGNORED

Well my parents finally threatened to take my games away

Yes he is right but throwing my shit out wouldn't do anything. I just have no interest at all in most of my classes. I'm learning nothing new in History. The books in English bore the hell out of me. And research papers are a pain in the ass.

Throwing your "shit" out will not do anything but now that he has said he will....he just might if you don't follow through.

Your Dad just wants you to succeed, really what else does he have to gain from you doing well in school. Do you think parents get satisfaction out of arguing with you, no they do not, he cares about your future. It seems stupid now but trust me, he is right. He is threatening to throw your stuff away because he does not know what else he can say or do to get you to listen. It is hard to get teenagers to listen. They do not understand that the next 40 years or so of your life can really suck if you hate your job. You will see and you will wish you listened :|

Yes he is right but throwing my shit out wouldn't do anything. I just have no interest at all in most of my classes. I'm learning nothing new in History. The books in English bore the hell out of me. And research papers are a pain in the ass.

Throwing your "shit" out will not do anything but now that he has said he will....he just might if you don't follow through.

Your Dad just wants you to succeed, really what else does he have to gain from you doing well in school. Do you think parents get satisfaction out of arguing with you, no they do not, he cares about your future. It seems stupid now but trust me, he is right. He is threatening to throw your stuff away because he does not know what else he can say or do to get you to listen. It is hard to get teenagers to listen. They do not understand that the next 40 years or so of your life can really suck if you hate your job. You will see and you will wish you listened :|

I understand where he's coming from. It's just really hard to get myself motivated at this point. I can't wake up early enough and i can't get to bed early at night. I know I need to buckle down and get my ass going but I just can't. I'm at a mental block.

D

D

D

F

B

C

D

Good gravy, son. Junior or Senior? What's your plan when you graduate?

School isn't supposed to be fun. School is only fun for a select few people who get off on studying and good grades. I call them Debbies. You might call them "Mark"s or "Alan"s or something like that...(insert the name of the person you know who studies like its their job). Don't do it because you like it. If you like it, theres a good chance you're a total tool box. Do it because it pays off eventually.

Even better: Do it because video games cost money. Pizza hut doesn't pay Neo Geo dollars. Pizza hut pays....uhmm...erhmm...deeply discounted Hyperscan dollars. Maybe Sega Genesis dollars. Only sports games, though.

Senior. It's really that I just don't care anymore. I just want to take an electronics course at my local community college but I need to get out of high school first. The freaking cheap ass board of Ed decided it was a great idea to take out Automotive, Drivers Ed and Eelctronics in place of Woodshop and German. Why the hell would someone need to learn German? If anything take Spanish. Hell I took Italian and that's close enough to get me by at my job at Wendy's.

Electronics course? And from there....? Anything? Keep in mind, you can't really do much with electronics courses. Yeah, maybe you'll wire up some knick knacks and doo dads...but to do anything cool...you'd probably want to major in computer science/engineering in a full on undergraduate program....

Once again. You don't need anything you learned in high school. In fact, I don't need anything I learned as an undergrad either. It's not there to be fun. You have to do it anyway, though.

D

D

D

F

B

C

D

Good gravy, son. Junior or Senior? What's your plan when you graduate?

School isn't supposed to be fun. School is only fun for a select few people who get off on studying and good grades. I call them Debbies. You might call them "Mark"s or "Alan"s or something like that...(insert the name of the person you know who studies like its their job). Don't do it because you like it. If you like it, theres a good chance you're a total tool box. Do it because it pays off eventually.

Even better: Do it because video games cost money. Pizza hut doesn't pay Neo Geo dollars. Pizza hut pays....uhmm...erhmm...deeply discounted Hyperscan dollars. Maybe Sega Genesis dollars. Only sports games, though.

Senior. It's really that I just don't care anymore. I just want to take an electronics course at my local community college but I need to get out of high school first. The freaking cheap ass board of Ed decided it was a great idea to take out Automotive, Drivers Ed and Eelctronics in place of Woodshop and German. Why the hell would someone need to learn German? If anything take Spanish. Hell I took Italian and that's close enough to get me by at my job at Wendy's.

Electronics course? And from there....? Anything? Keep in mind, you can't really do much with electronics courses. Yeah, maybe you'll wire up some knick knacks and doo dads...but to do anything cool...you'd probably want to major in computer science/engineering in a full on undergraduate program....

Once again. You don't need anything you learned in high school. In fact, I don't need anything I learned as an undergrad either. It's not there to be fun. You have to do it anyway, though.

Hmm it seems I'm getting more informative answers here than from my parents. That's probably because you guys aren't too much older than me and my parents didn't go to college. My dad joined the family business (Artie's Taxi for those on Long Island) and my mom joined the military and luckily got honorary discharge before the Gulf War. Anyway is there anyway I can take the science/engineering course without having to deal with English, History and all the other bullshit classes that have nothing to do with what I want to do?

P.S. sorry if this topic went a little outside the lines of the board's title.

See.. that doesn't matter if you don't have an interest in them. You should have an interest in getting that grade though. :P

I'll tell you I didn't care for 99% of the classes I've ever been in.. but that didn't stop me from aceing them. It was a chore, but you only get one chance at this pretty much, then you're set for life.

Also I don't know if you realize this, but in 20 years you probably still won't have interest in the jobs you're gonig to end up doing for the rest of your life when you need to make money. It's the way of things. I know I don't. :lol:

I understand where he's coming from. It's just really hard to get myself motivated at this point. I can't wake up early enough and i can't get to bed early at night. I know I need to buckle down and get my ass going but I just can't. I'm at a mental block.

You don't need to get straight A's, just make sure you graduate. Even if you go to a technical school employers are going to ask why you did not graduate High School. You will NEVER have a good answer to that question, believe me, I am a high school drop out and it is flat out embarrassing when employers ask you that. What are you going to say..."High School was boring man" or "My classes were not interesting enough" trust me dude, listen to your Dad. People that tell you that school is not important are always losers, or there parents are, you do not want to end up like them. Dropping out of High School was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, it took me many years to catch back up to where I should have already been. I should have listened to my parents and I should have hung out with better people that had more goals and actually gave a shit about the future. I can admit that now but I can't go back in time 15 years and do it over.

Believe me, if my parents read this right now they would get no satisfaction from it, your Dad does not want to say "I told you so" he wants you to not make the obvious mistakes you are making. Your life will be harder if you do not listen to him, I guarantee it. What is sad is that if you keep ignoring/arguing your dads advice one day he will stop caring about your future, he will just accept that he failed as a parent.

You don't need to get straight A's, just make sure you graduate. Even if you go to a technical school employers are going to ask why you did not graduate High School. You will NEVER have a good answer to that question, believe me, I am a high school drop out and it is flat out embarrassing when employers ask you that. What are you going to say..."High School was boring man" or "My classes were not interesting enough" trust me dude, listen to your Dad. People that tell you that school is not important are always losers, or there parents are, you do not want to end up like them. Dropping out of High School was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, it took me many years to catch back up to where I should have already been. I should have listened to my parents and I should have hung out with better people that had more goals and actually gave a shit about the future. I can admit that now but I can't go back in time 15 years and do it over.

Believe me, if my parents read this right now they would get no satisfaction from it, your Dad does not want to say "I told you so" he wants you to not make the obvious mistakes you are making. Your life will be harder if you do not listen to him, I guarantee it. What is sad is that if you keep ignoring/arguing your dads advice one day he will stop caring about your future, he will just accept that he failed as a parent.

100% correct :!:

Hmm it seems I'm getting more informative answers here than from my parents. That's probably because you guys aren't too much older than me

You're on a board that caters to folks who bought and played the Atari 2600 most of them when it was released back in the 70's.

I'd say you need to buckle down and study if you did the math and came to the conclusion we're not too much older than you.

I was just thinking a couple days ago i wish I had applied myself better in school. I was like you when I was a kid. Just didn't care. Best hope you get motivated STICH666 if not you'll be sitting around regretting it the rest of your life. A couple/few years of hard work can mean the difference between going out and having ample cash to buy any thing (games, food whatever) you want and going out a scraping money together to pay for groceries.

It's a tough world. You best get off your ass and learn how to deal with it.

BTW : Nice game room. Won't help you pay the rent though. :cool:

Edited by moycon

Anyway is there anyway I can take the science/engineering course without having to deal with English, History and all the other bullshit classes that have nothing to do with what I want to do?

P.S. sorry if this topic went a little outside the lines of the board's title.

You remind me of my friend/roommate through undergrad. Ridiculously smart, gifted programmer. He a Wolf3D style maze game while we were still in high school. He was a CS major and was sort of irritated that he had to get one of those well rounded educations...with English, Business, languages and all that other stuff. Turns out he couldn't get out of it. Most full on colleges are going to require that you actually get a well rounded education.

At my undergrad school...I'd wager it took nearly 4 semesters (2 years, pretty much) to get through all of the BS requirements that I had to get through (I took them all first because I was having trouble picking a major). Despite the fact that I majored in Creative Writing and Spanish, I ended up taking things like Geology, Economics, Political Science, a CS class and some other weird stuff that I didn't want to. It sucks, but everybody had to do it.

I know friends who went to other colleges had to do that sort of thing too. There may be schools out there that have more relaxed requirements...but the only real way to know is to do some research and see what their programs are like.

You can try looking at technical schools too. I'm not as familiar with them...as I never had a real interest. Liberal arts was the way to go for me...but there you are more likely to find what you're looking for. You know...career focused sort of things...study to become a network engineer or electrical engineer, etc... So...that might be a way to go if you know what you're looking for. I have a friend who went to a technical school and is doing pretty well as a network administrator for a local hospital.

So, summation. Unless you want to try and skip the whole school thing in general...which I don't think may people would recommend...it's either a full on undergraduate school or some kind of technical.

You have to determine what you want to do/be and then figure out what it takes to get there, then try to do it. You might fail. You might change your mind on what you want to do. At least you'll be doing something, though. Better making a go at something rather than screwing off and doing nothing.

Sure...if you say, wanted to go to school to become a computer programmer, an undergraduate CS program would be the way to go...you might have to do some crap you don't want to do. Really, it happens with any school program. You have to wade through a lot of crap to get to what you want do. Sort of like life, really. Have to work hard to make it through school, get noticed, make money, meet women, make friends, do anything.

Fruits are worth the awards though.

Note: Jesus. Way off topic.

Hmm it seems I'm getting more informative answers here than from my parents. That's probably because you guys aren't too much older than me

You're on a board that caters to folks who bought and played the Atari 2600 most of them when it was released back in the 70's.

I'd say you need to buckle down and study if you did the math and came to the conclusion we're not too much older than you.

I was just thinking a couple days ago i wish I had applied myself better in school. I was like you when I was a kid. Just didn't care. Best hope you get motivated STICH666 if not you'll be sitting around regretting it the rest of your life. A couple/few years of hard work can mean the difference between going out and having ample cash to buy any thing (games, food whatever) you want and going out a scraping money together to pay for groceries.

It's a tough world. You best get off your ass and learn how to deal with it.

BTW : Nice game room. Won't help you pay the rent though. :cool:

Well as a generation we are closer in mindsets. We all grew up playing games and still do. Well thanks for the advice. I will take it. I needed to hear it from people who were in my situation. I know my dad has experience but he is one of 5 kids, never had any interests in electronics and he never had problems with school. And my mom? Forget it. She was one of 6 kids and was in the army at my age. I am an only child, struggling through school yet I am a quick learner with a 120 IQ (above average). We had completely different upbringings.

Your dad is trying to point out that your priorities are a little fucked up right now and he's right. Do well in school, get a half decent job and in ten years you should have enough disposable income to buuy all the games you want.

Seeing as I was in your situation exactly 10 years ago, I'd say figgler is 100% right. :cool:

Without maths and a good grasp of english you'll find it hard in electronics and computer science. A good understanding of maths will help you greatly in circuit design, analysis and fault finding. Without good english skills some datasheets for electronic parts will make even less sense than they do already :lol:. Even something like woodwork will help you use and appreciate hand tools better. You never know it might improve your soldering techniques or help you make yourself a MAME cabinet. I wish I'd taken German at school, I had no idea I was going to live in Germany for a while. In short, you don't what life has to offer, unless you try lots of things along the way.

Just get through your schooling. I didn't get the best grades in the world, but I have retained what I learned which is more than most people who memorize stuff only long enough to get an A can say. Let me tell you, no one has ever asked what my grades were, but when they see that I have my 4 year degree from a very reputable college and a beautiful portfolio, that says it all.

Through my hard work and dedication, which seemed like a lifetime, and I'm sure it does for you too, I am were I am today. I wanted to simply start my career, even all the way back in middle and high school, that's all I wanted, and I got it. Sure I played games with my roommates in college and had down time, but my studies always came first. Now, I'm a graphic designer and I make pretty good money. But let me tell you something, it's still very hard out there even with my pay. Trying to save for a home is almost harder than school, and requires true discipline. Games are always a big part of my life, but you will need to learn to make priorities.

If I bought a gaming system every time I wanted instead of saving, I wouldn't have the home I just got this week. It's a beautiful home, and it makes it all the more worth it. After a mortgage, gas, car bills, home owner's insurance, lawn care, car insurance, food (that's a big bill, more than you think), car maintenance (just paid over 500 bucks for tires), and everything else...... you're going to wish you got better grades so you could end up in a good college with a good degree. If I could barely do it, try to imagine how hard of a life you'll have if you don't act now.

Just food for thought. Your dad is right. And this is advice from a 24 year old (well, 1 week shy ;) ). If you do things right, you'll be able to get a single family home and a new car (hell, I've had two new cars, bought my first new car at 19k at the age of 16), and afford your bills and never sweat. Life "sucks" now, but I'm glad my parents CARED enough to harass me before it was too late.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Just get through your schooling. I didn't get the best grades in the world, but I have retained what I learned which is more than most people who memorize stuff only long enough to get an A can say. Let me tell you, no one has ever asked what my grades were, but when they see that I have my 4 year degree from a very reputable college and a beautiful portfolio, that says it all.

Through my hard work and dedication, which seemed like a lifetime, and I'm sure it does for you too, I am were I am today. I wanted to simply start my career, even all the way back in middle and high school, that's all I wanted, and I got it. Sure I played games with my roommates in college and had down time, but my studies always came first. Now, I'm a graphic designer and I make pretty good money. But let me tell you something, it's still very hard out there even with my pay. Trying to save for a home is almost harder than school, and requires true discipline. Games are always a big part of my life, but you will need to learn to make priorities.

If I bought a gaming system every time I wanted instead of saving, I wouldn't have the home I just got this week. It's a beautiful home, and it makes it all the more worth it. After a mortgage, gas, car bills, home owner's insurance, lawn care, car insurance, food (that's a big bill, more than you think), car maintenance (just paid over 500 bucks for tires), and everything else...... you're going to wish you got better grades so you could end up in a good college with a good degree. If I could barely do it, try to imagine how hard of a life you'll have if you don't act now.

Just food for thought. Your dad is right. And this is advice from a 24 year old (well, 1 week shy ;) ). If you do things right, you'll be able to get a single family home and a new car (hell, I've had two new cars, bought my first new car at 19k at the age of 16), and afford your bills and never sweat. Life "sucks" now, but I'm glad my parents CARED enough to harass me before it was too late.

Thank you. I just really needed to hear about it from you guys. ;)

Edited by STICH666