IGNORED

CinciClassic attendees-show of hands!

Snider-man

W00.. I'll be making the 684 mile trek (according to Mapquest) with my wife and my newly-aquainted-to-the-art-of-classic-collecting friend. I'm planning on stopping at every classic video game shop along the way (NW Arkansas to Ohio... :) already got a list of like 5 stores). If there's any more up in Cinncinnati, lemme know.

Brian

I'll be arriving at the mall Friday afternoon sometime.  We are trying to tell vendors (those with a table) to show up no earlier than 5 pm.  That will give us enough time to set up the floor layout, put up all the tables up, ect.

Ahh, I'm glad Stan asked this because I was curious what time I should arrive as well. If I arrive up before 5pm, I'd be glad to help setting everything up. :)

..Al

I'm a good table-schlepper m'self. If I get there early Friday (and I will), I'll be happy to help set up the floor plan.

By the way, anyone who's staying in the vicinity, what hotel are you staying at? I saw the list of hotels on the CinciClassic site, but wanted recommendations. Thanks.

Hey Glitch, if you haven't been there yet, I hit Station Head today, verrrrry disappointing. First off, the guy behind the counter was playing Jr. Pac-Man on MAME on their computer. I really pissed him off I think by trying to find out how much After Burner on the 32X was...it took him 3 minutes to come up with a $6.99 price tag that sounded more like an uneducated guess than an actual quote, he also had to quit his game of Jr. Pac-Man.

$10 Sega Master System games, a couple of Game Gear titles under $10, tons of newer titles, nothing (save 6 SMS games) older than Genesis (even had their Genny stuff behind the counter!!!!) Prices seemed to be on a par to slightly higher than Funco.

The rest of the mall though was a real throwback to me...it looks exactly like the malls in Indianapolis used to look like in about 1982...they even had an old style Spencer Gifts that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Tiny mall though...

Another side trip for people going to Cinciclassic, about 30 miles N. of Cincy on I-75 (just an exit or two before Middletown mall) are two flea markets. Trader's World and Turtle Creek. One on either side of the interstate. Turtle has a good number of video game dealers, a good selection of older stuff, but they are pricey. Expect to pay $3-6 for loose 2600 games, the rarest games hit about 6 on the AA rarity scale.

Trader's World is a lot larger, very quirky, bad music, and fewer game stalls. But the best deals are there, sometimes hard to find...Building 10 (IIRC) - Mega Man USA is the name of the best (using that term a bit loosely, you'll see why later) booth. They just started selling almost all of their loose 2600 stuff $2 each, 3 for $5. I picked up Star Trek, Front Line (to make up for me blowing cvga's Mastermind contest), and Slots for $5 total, and then he said, I have this double ended cart here too...Artillery Duel (my 2600 Holy Grail is now home!!!) and Chuck Norris Super Kicks for $5. Also a couple of boxes of manuals, listed at $1 each, but if the owner is gone, these get cheap!! I got a Coleco catalog that talked about LadyBug, Cosmic Avenger, and Turbo for the 2600 (as well as some games that actually DID get released!!) for 25 cents.

They also have a Watara Supervision for $80 with 3 games...

and they have Combat for 10 cents...

This booth fell hard just a couple of minutes later because of some shady practices...as I was walking out I noticed they are now selling emulator discs :( They had NES emulator discs that ran on the Dreamcast for $15 apiece..

I probably should have said something about those discs, but it just made me so mad when I saw them that I just kind of stormed off...

Hey Glitch, if you haven't been there yet, I hit Station Head today, verrrrry disappointing

Unfortunatly I have to agree. I stopped by there Saturday around 11ish and was really disappointed in how his selection has gone down and his prices have gone up. He wasn't playing a game when I was there and I did talk to him a little bit. He said he had some older stuff in the back but wouldn't be bringing it out until he remodels the shop in a month or so. He also stated that he now sells most of the older stuff and a lot of the more current games via eBay, and his prices definatly show that. The only items I saw of note where 1 Jaguar but he wanted $49 for it. His Saturn systems were $39 a piece (he had about 6) and his DCs where $49 a piece (again about 6 of them). He did have a bunch of Saturn games that were $5.00 used and $15 to $20 new but nothing special.

Final opinion is it's not worth a special trip out there. If you're driving by you may want to stop and look just to see if he has anything to add to your collection for newer consoles (PS1, Saturn, DC, N64....) but only if you were planing on stopping for lunch or something there already.

Traders World (it's a large flea market near Middletown for those that don't know) is extremely quirky. I've gone there and found some great deals then nothing for months on end. Like many large flea markets in the area it's turning into a low cost mall w/ most of the booths becoming perminent shops. Turtle Creek flea market is right on the other side of the interstate (I-75) and it's about the same. I have a lot more luck w/ the people outside the actual buildings; The ones that pull up w/ their vans and set up a table outside. Quite a few of them have prices that are closer to yard sale like prices but they are extremely hit or miss.

I apologize for getting anybody's hopes up regarding Station Head. If there are any other shops around the Cinci area that people have heard of or are interested in, I'd be more than willing to check them out and report on them for you (don't worry I won't buy them out, especially since I'm saving what little money I have for the show).

Here's the schedule from the web site (from Matt's sig.)

This is a rough listing of CinciClassic events

Subject to change

FRIDAY  

6:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. Unpacking and setup  

6:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. Informal buy/sell/trade, game play, and hanging out  

SATURDAY  

9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Open gameplay, buy/sell/trade  

9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Registration for Head to Head and Team tournaments  

9:00 a.m. - 6:45 p.m. Trivia Contest (fill out, hand in)  

9:00 a.m. - 6:45 p.m. High Score Tournament (game TBA)  

2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Head to Head Tournament (game TBA)  

4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Auction  

5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Break in formal activities dinner  

7:00 p.m. Winners annouced for Trivia, High Score  

7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Team Tournament (game TBA, partners by random draw)  

9:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Time Subect to change Team Tournament (Chu Chu Rocket, partners by random draw)  

SUNDAY  

Take Down and Head Out

Hope to see you all Friday night. I don't have anything to set up, but I am good at hanging out. I'm also good for any heavy lifting. :)

Hope to see you all Friday night.  I don't have anything to set up, but I am good at hanging out.  I'm also good for any heavy lifting. :)

You can hang out with me--my companions are an industrious lot and will likely want to get things set up and do work and stuff. I can't have any of that, now can I!?

Hope to see you all Friday night.  I don't have anything to set up, but I am good at hanging out.  I'm also good for any heavy lifting. :)

You can hang out with me--my companions are an industrious lot and will likely want to get things set up and do work and stuff. I can't have any of that, now can I!?

Sounds great! I was rather hoping no one would take me up on my heavy lifting offer.

@ glitch, you were there at Station Head at 11 AM huh? I think I was there around 11:30 I think...

Can't wait for this Saturday, btw, I have a wish list made up already!!!

I was going to bring a trade box, but I realized the only stuff I really had were some uncommon NES games, and a couple uncommon 2600 carts...so I'm thinking that I should just leave that stuff home...

Well, I'd LOVE to go - but after taking a good look at everything that needs to get done at school, and in my classroom, it ain't gonna happen. I'll be with you all in spirit, and will be making plans to be at the Philly classic next spring.

DUDE! You have SO got to be there! Yer only in Indiana. Take a day off, you deserve it! Come on, I'll even autograph yer left breast!

You KNOW you want to come. Come on do it! All the cool kids do it!

If you really loved me, you'd do it.

If you don't do it, people are going to think you are a loser.

Come on, come to Cinci!

Peer Pressure Stan :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, I'd LOVE to go - but after taking a good look at everything that needs to get done at school, and in my classroom, it ain't gonna happen. I'll be with you all in spirit, and will be making plans to be at the Philly classic next spring.

DUDE! You have SO got to be there! Yer only in Indiana. Take a day off, you deserve it! Come on, I'll even autograph yer left breast!

You KNOW you want to come. Come on do it! All the cool kids do it!

If you really loved me, you'd do it.

If you don't do it, people are going to think you are a loser.

Come on, come to Cinci!

Peer Pressure Stan :D :D :D :D :D :D

This makes me feel good! Thank you very much... Especially on this long-ass day I'm having. Unfortunately, the way that the "theme" breaks have broken down over this semster - well, Friday ends a big section... which means a test and/or papers - which need to be graded - and a new EXCITING introduction planned for the next section.

But it's nice to know I'll be missed. For now, you'll just have to hold your brand spankin' new Episode 2 tape a little closer to your heart this coming weekend. (That tape, btw, will be shipped out tomorrow! - ENJOY!)