IGNORED

Your power-up duration record?

Rybags

I bet there's people who do/have run BBS systems that put this to shame.

What's the longest people have had their Atari systems powered up continuously?

I've had my 130XE on 24/7 except for a few periods of 1-3 days since about a week or two before Christmas last year.

I'm not worried about the power use (the computer would probably use about as much as a clock radio). If anything, my biggest concern is that the external brick might have some major wobbler and start a fire or something.

What's the longest people have had their Atari systems powered up continuously?

I've had my 130XE on 24/7 except for a few periods of 1-3 days since about a week or two before Christmas last year.

I'm not worried about the power use (the computer would probably use about as much as a clock radio). If anything, my biggest concern is that the external brick might have some major wobbler and start a fire or something.

Perhaps, you want to take apart a laptop and use it's rechargeable Li-ion battery setup w/inverter to power your machine. That way you can give the power adapter a rest or switch adapters every week.

I knew a guy whose Dad was doing the serach for ET in the 80's before the whole SETi project with his Atari 800. He hooked up some radio device through the joystick ports to look for abnormal sound waves from space. He ran that thing for years without down time.

Prior to that he checked for seismic activity around the MD area - he actually caught waves from Mt St Helens when it went off from the West Coast.

Probably.

With the exception of a few power outages and a move my 320KB 130XE is up and running 24/7 since the end of 1996.

hey fox!!

glad to see you here!! I haven't heard of you since years!! so your bbs atari is still running?! I'm glad that I had the big honour to see it once in real life :)) Though I must admit that I don't remember my user name and password at Thunderdome *gg

grtx,

\twh!

hey fox!!

glad to see you here!! I haven't heard of you since years!!

Hey Thomas!

Yes, I'm still wandering around this globe from time to time :-) I had a hard time to log-in over here too as I forgot my password so I guess it must be a while ago I wrote something over here. The 8-Bit hobby has dropped to a low priority since a while but the BBS is still up and running albeit with some minor clock-related problems.

I'm too busy with everyday life and some other hobbies so I'm running short of hours at the end of each day.

Probably the longest I had my 8-bit on was just for a couple of days and nights, when my friend and I pulled a couple of all-nighters in a row writing a game for it. Whoo, boy, I'm surprised we wrote any working code after the second day!