IGNORED

anybody else who wasn't a fan of the nes?

xg4bx

i hope i didn't imply the nes was crap because i don't think it is, its just terribly overrated. sure you had absolutely rock solid games like contra, life force, metal gear, double dragon, ninja gaiden series and many more. but i found 90% of its library to contain generic, bland and downright broken shovelware.

Not crap to me, either, and it does have a few titles that I really like; Gauntlet II was nice, and I love Star Force. To me, Galaga and Joust were not that bad in their own rights, too. Not like the arcade and the Atari 7800 versions were better imho, but not bad on their own.

I just prefer the Master System. More games for it would be great, too. Was there ever a programmable cart for it?

is the nes a bad system? - no

is the nes an overrated system? - yes

are nes fanatics on the internet extremely annoying? - yes

nes fans that pretend video games were invented in 1985 and refuse to touch anything produced before the crash temper my interest in the platform. that is my biggest gripe with the nes... and sadly it has almost nothing to do with nintendo themselves

but what nintendo did contribute...

shoddy hardware - the NES is the least reliable cart based console ever released

too much focus on adventure/story-driven gaming at the expense of home arcade ports - adventure games are fun, but their influence crept into the arcade games of the platform. q*bert never needed an ending

but the nes did revive the game industry and prooved to people that video games were not a fad.

Perhaps it is an age thing, but I never played the NES growing up. I don't hate it; I am largely indifferent.

I had an Atari 2600 (1981), which I sold to buy a Color Computer (1982), from which I upgraded to an 8086 PC (1988). I was in High School when the NES launched and I was then happily playing games on my Coco. None of my peers had an NES either (as far as I remember).

To this very day, I don't have an actual NES console, but I do have two "9999-in-1" Famiclones. I also have an emulator and a decent selection of RPG games. Many of the games are fun, but they lack the nostalga factor for me.

The NES was cool enough, I suppose, wehn I was a kid, I wanted one, but I had my Atari, and the next system I got was aSNES in about 93, and 95 I finely got NES, and Duck Hunt and Mario were just as fun as they always were, but I never could get into much else, there's some cool games for sure, I loved Mule, and RadRacer, and Machine, but never could get into most games, including faves of everybody such as Metroid or Zelda. (though playing both those on the SNES first probably hurt there)

As bad as it was over all, the few gaems I like on it, make it more than worth haveing,unfortunately, most systems are worse, Master System (other than import Sonic and Populous, it sucked ass) Coleco, I liked the colors and it was truely an old style console, more like the atari than the Nintendo. But really, when it ccomes down to it, I don't really like Nintendo, sure, it's the most popular to me, but that's because how piss poor the others were, not because it was so great.

I'm kinda like this today, even with money to just go out and buy stuff, I only really like a few games on my 360, I just play it cause there is literrally NOTHING I like on the other consoles.

Legend of Zelda still owns to this day!!!! People who hate the NES are ignorant when it comes to great games like that. Plus it came in a gold cartridge.....I mean that's videogame royalty right there and must be respected!

I remember in '87 when my family was choosing between a 7800 or an NES at Toys r Us...I remember choosing the NES because the games seemed more interesting and different....while the 7800 is great, at that time games like Legend of Zelda and Super mario Bros.were wayyy more ground breaking and fresh compared to games like Centipede.

I feel it's a generation gap really ;) I LOVE both Atari and NES...drats why can't we all get along????lol

I can't imagine anyone playing Zelda 1 and not liking it. I hate blowing in the games too but I also hate repairing 5200 controllers :ponder: I find every system has it's flaws.

i never had a 7800 until this year but putting myself in your shoes back then, yea, id totally prefer an nes over the 7800. its the choice between games that were literally breaking new ground, or YET ANOTHER joust milking.

thats my biggest complaint about atari, their absolutely over-reliance and utter milking of their classic back catalog,its easy to see why a kid would choose contra over asteroids. (i know there were problems at atari but growing up all that mattered were the games on the shelf).

i never had a 7800 until this year but putting myself in your shoes back then, yea, id totally prefer an nes over the 7800. its the choice between games that were literally breaking new ground, or YET ANOTHER joust milking.

thats my biggest complaint about atari, their absolutely over-reliance and utter milking of their classic back catalog,its easy to see why a kid would choose contra over asteroids. (i know there were problems at atari but growing up all that mattered were the games on the shelf).

Seriously. The 7800 may have had the greatest "Ms Pac Man", but that still wasn't enough to compete with the likes of "Super Mario Bros" and "Mega Man 2".

I know some folks weren't impressed with Nintendo because they gamed on Commodore 64 or Amiga. My family had an 8088xt. First amber monochrome then we upgraded to CGA. I did love that computer, but in terms of games it was no substitute for a NES. :)

I wonder how many people here would have liked the nes if atari actually distributed the system in the US

;)

As an owner of a complete US Nes library, I obviously have some opinions. Even though I grew up with Atari, Nes was one of my first consoles I owned. Saying the the nes has a boring library or kiddie games is like someone saying the Atari 2600 had blocky graphics and crappy gameplay. You really have to sit down and play extensively any game library to really enjoy it. Lord Thag can attest to this. On the outside, even the Nes games themselves loose look boring. Often their artwork does not sell some of the great games that lie within. What I can tell you is that if you go beyond the more common stuff, there is a whole bunch of great games that often get overlooked.

With that being said, I can totally see why Atari Players dont really like the Nes. The Nes really did focus on a totally different type of gameplay that different than anything seen before it. It focused on multiple screen, action games.

It marketed to kids, and did not go after the older Atari fanbase. If I saw another company come in and complely wipe the floor with my favorite game company of the time, I too would be a little bent(joking)

The Nes was all around a different type of machine. It was not built for arcade conversions, it was built for more advanced games and with that, it did not focus on those types of games. I do have to say that the Nes has many great arcade conversions, but many of those arcade conversions were of arcade games in the mid to late 80s. While they were the ones I grew up with, many consider the golden age of arcades to be from 80 to 83.

As a total fan of both systems for totally different reasons. I can only say that I understand(thanks to my good friend Lord Thag) why some Atari and SMS fans dont like the NES games, and thank gosh there is a ton of support for both for future games.

I wonder how many people here would have liked the nes if atari actually distributed the system in the US

too many what-ifs to consider, but atari would've included a lineup of arcade games alongside the adventure games

It was not built for arcade conversions,

bs, the famicom had a ton of arcade ports, and a lot of them never made it to US shores. this was a function of marketing and NoA policies, not hardware

it was built for more advanced games

it really wasnt, without custom mappers the NES is only slightly better than the colecovision

I know some folks weren't impressed with Nintendo because they gamed on Commodore 64 or Amiga.

That was me. Commodore was my life for quite a number of years there, and I still have most of the software & machines. I then got back into Atari collecting around 2000 or 2001, and by then my gaming platform of choice was PC (still is).

Honestly, I barely even noticed Nintendo's existence for all those years.

Edited by crunchysuperman

Must say that the NES did bring some really awesome games along , spent quite a while on games like MarioBros 2 , StartTropics , ShatterHand , Journey to Silius PowerBlade and many more. But as previously stated , some people give it more credit than it's worth , I'm actually getting annoyed when people say the 2600 sucked because the NES had better graphics ... that's just stupid.

I actually prefered the SMS and the GameGear over the NES and GameBoy , but they're still good systems.

Legend of Zelda still owns to this day!!!! People who hate the NES are ignorant when it comes to great games like that. Plus it came in a gold cartridge.....I mean that's videogame royalty right there and must be respected!

Maybe a lot of us aren't ignorant and know about games like Zelda, but just aren't into them? I know personally I'm just not into Zelda or that kind of game in the slightest.

With that being said, I can totally see why Atari Players dont really like the Nes. The Nes really did focus on a totally different type of gameplay that different than anything seen before it.

That's exactly what it is. When I was a kid the sort of games I used to play and love were the kind that you got on the 2600 or C64. The games on the NES are just totally different, they have a totally different kind of gameplay, which I just don't find interesting or engaging.

Edited by Ross PK

Biggest things I don't like about the NES:

* dot crawl on the video output

* flaky cart connector, of course

* stupid "Nintendo-ized" arcade ports that could have been 99% faithful to the originals, but weren't because someone had to get "creative" (not blaming this on Nintendo, but that's what we called these atrocities)

That being said, I thought SMB1, SMB3, and Kirby's Adventure were great games, and I liked most of the Tengen releases.

Edited by monzamess

* stupid "Nintendo-ized" arcade ports that could have been 99% faithful to the originals, but weren't because someone had to get "creative" (not blaming this on Nintendo, but that's what we called these atrocities)

Sometimes it's an improvement. The Nintendo-ized "Ninja Gaiden" is arguably a much more interesting game than the arcade original.

Sometimes it's an improvement. The Nintendo-ized "Ninja Gaiden" is arguably a much more interesting game than the arcade original.

so why keep the name ninja gaiden?

I wasn't, we sold them at release but it took a good while to take off. it had that funny interlaced video and funny controller so initially I thought it was a joke. By the time it was more established I did get one but only played a few games, it was never a main machine for me and I have never kept one for very long.

I will admit duck hunt was a good starter though. Nice gun game.

There were some fun arcade ports but the whole RPG thing escapes me.

My thinking is that at the time I was much more interested in the Atari ST.

;)

As an owner of a complete US Nes library, I obviously have some opinions. Even though I grew up with Atari, Nes was one of my first consoles I owned. Saying the the nes has a boring library or kiddie games is like someone saying the Atari 2600 had blocky graphics and crappy gameplay. You really have to sit down and play extensively any game library to really enjoy it. Lord Thag can attest to this. On the outside, even the Nes games themselves loose look boring. Often their artwork does not sell some of the great games that lie within. What I can tell you is that if you go beyond the more common stuff, there is a whole bunch of great games that often get overlooked.

With that being said, I can totally see why Atari Players dont really like the Nes. The Nes really did focus on a totally different type of gameplay that different than anything seen before it. It focused on multiple screen, action games.

It marketed to kids, and did not go after the older Atari fanbase. If I saw another company come in and complely wipe the floor with my favorite game company of the time, I too would be a little bent(joking)

The Nes was all around a different type of machine. It was not built for arcade conversions, it was built for more advanced games and with that, it did not focus on those types of games. I do have to say that the Nes has many great arcade conversions, but many of those arcade conversions were of arcade games in the mid to late 80s. While they were the ones I grew up with, many consider the golden age of arcades to be from 80 to 83.

As a total fan of both systems for totally different reasons. I can only say that I understand(thanks to my good friend Lord Thag) why some Atari and SMS fans dont like the NES games, and thank gosh there is a ton of support for both for future games.

That could be, my guess is that there would have been more traditional arcade titles as well as the japanese titles so it might have had better acceptance within the Atari community at least.. Also would depend on how Atari marketed it.

so why keep the name ninja gaiden?

True. They could have named it "Ninja Gaiden Adventure" or some such in order to avoid possible confusion.

I watched Youtube & Ninja Gaiden for NES has a much elaborate and better ending than the arcade one(which just says 'Congratulations!') ;) And plus the music is great.

That's another thing.....NES games has way better music than alot of Atari games.

I'll say it again tho, I LOVE both Atari and NES. I just think some people who love Atari and hate NES are just jealous lol.

Legend of Zelda may not be for everybody but storywise,graphics wise and music wise it's so much of a bigger step.

I kinda wish there was an ending to games like Centipede and Ms.Pacman...I love those games too but just playing the game for the high score and how far can you go is kinda boring.

Edited by lushgirl_80

Yea I was already 19 when I bought an NES in 1988. I played Blades of Steel, Contra, and Lifeforce to death. Ended up selling it a year later and bought a TG-16 when it first came out. Atari - NES - TG-16 - these were the systems of my youth and the ones I have the fondest memories of. Atari being number one of course. I still think the NES has a LOT of great games. Many great arcade conversions too. I had never heard of Balloon Fight for example until recently but I love it. Better than Joust IMO. I have a pirate cart with elevator action, galaxian, dig dug, pooyan, and mappy that never made it to north america. They're all great.

I'm no NES fanboy but I can certainly appreciate a great system when I see one.