IGNORED

anybody else who wasn't a fan of the nes?

xg4bx

The NES is OK, but it isn't my favorite. It isn't even in my top 5. If I had to get rid of some of my collection, the NES would be among the first to go.

I'm with you on that. I look at games like BurgerTime and Bump N Jump that were released on the NES as well as ColecoVision and the ColecoVision ports are much better.

These days, just the idea of a game like SMB with no way to save your progress and pick it up again later seems insane. That keeps me away from many of the NES games. They're from that awkward middle phase, when games were no longer 15-minute quickies, but had not yet adopted battery backup as a standard (despite being able to do it -- witness Zelda, Nobunaga, and others). I can't spend hours playing a game straight thru, so those games mostly sit and gather dust.

Funny you say that. My wife is into RPGs on Genesis and SNES from that period but would never consider playing them on real hardware. The emulators greatly improve on the originals when it comes to saving. State saves put you in control of save/resume rather than the developer. There is a design/balance argument there but people like my wife wouldn't have it any other way.

We've had a Wii since last november and she sometimes laments not having state saves.

For me, the NES controller is MUCH better than the 2600 mini craptastic, overly stiff stick with one lame button! :grin: Graphics and sound obviously go the NES. NES had Miyamoto games. Miyamoto is THE gaming god. A lot of cool 3rd party games on the NES as well. NES has a substantially bigger library than the VCS as well...

D-Pads in general and this includes the NES controller are HORRIBLE for arcade style action titles. Games like Berzerk or Robotron are just gawd awful with a d-pad. The problem is accuracy especially on the diagonals. A game like SMB is more forgiving of minor input mistakes by the player. Though I don't KNOW this, it wouldn't surprise me if most games for systems based on d-pads are designed with such forgiveness. The CX-40 joystick was no great shakes but if one is good shape and I'm running from ghosts then I won't have to worry about momentarily jogging up when I meant to go left.

The best controllers for such games of course are actual arcade controls but the 2600 stick bad as it is makes a better approximation than a d-pad. Don't get me wrong; such controls do nothing for a game like Zelda but I wouldn't want to play Asteroids say with anything else.

For me, the NES controller is MUCH better than the 2600 mini craptastic, overly stiff stick with one lame button! :grin: Graphics and sound obviously go the NES. NES had Miyamoto games. Miyamoto is THE gaming god. A lot of cool 3rd party games on the NES as well. NES has a substantially bigger library than the VCS as well...

D-Pads in general and this includes the NES controller are HORRIBLE for arcade style action titles. Games like Berzerk or Robotron are just gawd awful with a d-pad. The problem is accuracy especially on the diagonals. A game like SMB is more forgiving of minor input mistakes by the player. Though I don't KNOW this, it wouldn't surprise me if most games for systems based on d-pads are designed with such forgiveness. The CX-40 joystick was no great shakes but if one is good shape and I'm running from ghosts then I won't have to worry about momentarily jogging up when I meant to go left.

The best controllers for such games of course are actual arcade controls but the 2600 stick bad as it is makes a better approximation than a d-pad. Don't get me wrong; such controls do nothing for a game like Zelda but I wouldn't want to play Asteroids say with anything else.

The NES stock controllers suck when it comes to a game like Pac-Man - almost as bad as the 5200 controller

The NES stock controllers suck when it comes to a game like Pac-Man - almost as bad as the 5200 controller

DEZAM!! Someone's fixxing to get F(boop)ed up.

Actually, I'll agree with that, play Pac-man on a Genesis, or worse, a GameGear, the game is ABSOLUTELY UNPLAYABLE It simply does not respond to the controller, and it's a common problem on all Dpad systems, genny and GG just tended to be the worst.

The modern age stubby stick from 64/psx up to modern day is the shiznite though. :P

DEZAM!! Someone's fixxing to get F(boop)ed up.

Actually, I'll agree with that, play Pac-man on a Genesis, or worse, a GameGear, the game is ABSOLUTELY UNPLAYABLE It simply does not respond to the controller, and it's a common problem on all Dpad systems, genny and GG just tended to be the worst.

The modern age stubby stick from 64/psx up to modern day is the shiznite though. :P

It's an improvement from the dpad, wish it was digital and not analog. still hard to play pacman on, though lots better,

Ms. Pac-Man for Genesis malfunctions if you don't hold the mode button down when using a 6-button controller. I haven't had a problem playing Pac-Man with the NES d-pad. It's not one of the poorly programmed ports where the controls don't work right like the early versions of the Ms. Pac-Man plug and play stick or the DOS Ms. Pac-Man using keyboard controls.

Actually, I've found D-pads work quite well for Pac-Man and the like. You just have to tap the D-pad right in the direction you want to go and that's it.

Actually, I've found D-pads work quite well for Pac-Man and the like. You just have to tap the D-pad right in the direction you want to go and that's it.

This is true, however this is not "natural" at least for me. On the ColecoVision and 2600 I am used to making smooth and tight directional movements on the stock controllers.

Anyone else find that the Tangen version of Pac-Man makes our guy look huge? Feels kinda like those huge and generic Leggos you maybe had when you were a kid.

Wasn't the NES and the nintendo coin op technology (at the time) one of the same thing

the nes had the same hardware as the "Vs." line of nintendo arcade games, but i do not know if the arcade hardware was first, or if it was based off of existing famicom hardware

Wow... 'lot of NES haters out there. I can see the generation that grew up on 2600 stuff not really caring for the NES. It happens with other generations too. I had a 2600/Coleco too(well, we borrowed quite often), but wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole anymore after NES came out. There was just no going back to such super simplistic games.

And as for the UK/EU'rs NES haters... you guys love the soul-less/dribble software from other there. Man, there really is no accounting for tastes in gaming crowds across the pond <_<; Especially you Swedes. Always soo grumpy and hating anything Nintendo of that 8/16bit era :D UK'rs right behind them though.

/jest off

;)

Also: d-pad > stick. Always.

Edited by malducci

well i never really got into the games systems, i did briefly own a smaller sms till it died and never replaced it (after a few weeks of ownership)

And just to point out i don't hate the nes, just like i don't hate any other games system, they just didn't do it for me (just like this modern lot don't do it for me)

And as for the UK/EU'rs NES haters... you guys love the soul-less/dribble software from other there. Man, there really is no accounting for tastes in gaming crowds across the pond

Oh you mean this game written by UK company Rare for the (USA) NES:

NESTaboothesixthSense.jpg

Yep, spot on!

Edited by frenchman

well i never really got into the games systems, i did briefly own a smaller sms till it died and never replaced it (after a few weeks of ownership)

Do you still have it or is it long gone? The small one I have (do you mean the SMS II?) had a bad power supply. I looked at it and the quality was terrible inside it, no wonder it died. Yours may have had the same problem.

Different people like different games. For me the 8-bit NES and even the SMS (I prefer it) only led up to the next consoles. Both stock controllers were hand cramping little boxes. The NES had the Advantage and the SMS had the joystick (love that thing still) and made it easier.

But whatever. I'm not a hater, I don't rally against any of them. I posted before, there were a few games that I like on the NES. More on the SMS. Have fun, it's all about the game :)

And as for the UK/EU'rs NES haters... you guys love the soul-less/dribble software from other there. Man, there really is no accounting for tastes in gaming crowds across the pond

NESTaboothesixthSense.jpg

Yep, spot on!

Ah, but Rare also brought us Battletoads and RC Pro-Am. ;)

Yep, spot on!

Make sure you tell this 'malducci'.....'soul-less/dribble'

Edited by frenchman

I can't understand "hating" a system. Pretty much all of the major console makers have had a system that had something to offer. I can't think of any major console, past or present, that I would turn my nose at if somebody gave one to me. Hell, I'd even take a Jaguar and I have yet to see anything on it that I can't live without. One can never have too many consoles. :lust:

I can't understand hating a system itself either. I never "got" the Nintendo, but there are a lot of games I liked, but it seems a lot of people on this topic are confusing "not a fan" with "hater"

Hell, even Game.com had good games, though everybody seems to rag on it a lot.

Yep, spot on!

Make sure you tell this 'malducci'.....'soul-less/dribble'

Frenchman! :) Rare was originally a UK company??? But yeah, there are always exceptions in life ;)