IGNORED

anybody else who wasn't a fan of the nes?

xg4bx

Over here the NES, SMS and MegaDrive all came in 1992 (previously it was all home computers) and the NES quickly fell behind thanks to better marketing by Sega.

I never owned a NES until recently (was more of a SNES person) but having played the "best" games for it on emulators and having the physical console itself, I can say, apart from the good Nintendo titles and some third party titles, the NES sucked, specially the console itself.

I never understood the NES magic, it's all nostalgia so I cannot relate to something I didn't live but I think the home computers offered cheaper games and more imaginative games at the time, with the exception of Nintendo's own games of course.

I never understood the NES magic, it's all nostalgia so I cannot relate to something I didn't live but I think the home computers offered cheaper games and more imaginative games at the time, with the exception of Nintendo's own games of course.

that's it exactly. I grew up in the 80's, and while I did have a tiny bit of that "oh NOOoooo, Nintendo's killing MY company" going on, I didn't out and out ever hate Nintendo. Like I said above, all my friends jumped the bandwaggon quick, and I got left behind with my Atari, as a result, I built no Nostalgia at all for the system, and in 95 when I got one, I indeed loved the two games I remember playeing with my friends bback in the day, the rest of the library was...meh, I got the SNES fairly early, and as a result, loved it, but the NES, I just never "got" the magic so many people saw in it. Maybe it would have been different had I gotten it a couple years later instead of ten years later, but I'll never know.

I was serious tough, I often like just a few games (that cater to my taists of the time) and just don't really get into much else, though sometimes I find a kick ass game years later, that I missed first time around. With Nintendo, it just wasn't there though, at least for the NES...

Ya... I mean, what's to like about the NES? What a POS... ;)

Baseball Stars

Baseball Stars II

Bases Loaded Series

Batman

Battletoads

Blades of Steel

Bomberman

Bonk's Adventure

Bubble Bobble

California Games

Castlevania

Castlevania II & III

Championship Bowling & Pool

Contra

Contra Force

Donkey Kong series

Double Dragon I - III

Dr. Mario

Dragon Warrior I - IV

Duck Hunt

Duck Tales 1 & 2

Dusty Diamonds All-Star Softball

Excitebike

Family Feud

Final Fantasy

Gauntlet

Gradius

Guerrilla War

Hogan's Alley

Ice Hockey

Iron Man 's Super Off-Road

Jeopardy

Kid Icarus

Kirby's Adventure

Legend of Zelda 1 & 2

Life Force

Mario 1 - 3

Mega Man 1 - 6

Metal Gear

Metroid

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!

Ms. Pac Man

Ninja Gaiden series

Pac-Man

Paperboy

Pinball

RBI Baseball series

RC Pro Am series

Rad Racer

Rampage

Renegade

Section Z

Shinobi

Skate or Die

Spy Hunter

Star Wars

Star Tropics

Strider

Super C

Super Sprint

Tecmo Bowl

TMNT series

Tetris

Edited by kevincal

i ask because it struck me the other day that i never really cared for the nes. i always kinda found the library to be lackluster, even as a kid. sure there were a few titles i swore by (pretty much anything from capcom and konami) but i never understood the "magic" of nintendo.

being a somewhat spoiled child, i also owned a sega master system. to me, the sms was far superior. the graphics were exponentially better, it had neater accessories like the 3d glasses and i simply enjoyed the games more.

anybody else out there who never really got into the nes?

At that time I had a Commodore 64 and played all my games on that. In fact I didn't even own a console, only the 64 so why in the world would I even be the slightest bit interested in the NES (at that time)? As far as I was concerned, until the real late 80's and early 90's there was nothing better than my 64 and I wouldn't even consider a console, plus the fact that I had no money, but I digress...

Adept Rapier

:)

I have a feeling that most of the NES haters here grew up/live in Europe or Australia.

Yeah, I think so as well, because on most forums I go to, that tends to be the case. At least for Europe I heard that it was mostly due to NOE just not caring and that they never even really put forth any effort towards marketing. Dunno about Australia.

It just seems so awkward to me that in Europe everyone knows about Sonic, but nobody hardly knows about Mario... Even my Dad knows about Mario! But hey, to them Mario being so popular seems the same way I suppose. I also cannot grasp the true nature of the thought process of how the Master System is superior to the NES just because it has less Shovelware... It's like saying "It has less good games, but also less bad games as well" when you don't even need to buy "Sesame Street's Spelling Adventure".

There may be more Shovelware, but that doesn't take away the classics however, and the NES definitely delivers on that front, at least in my playbook. The Sega Genesis however was much better, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles is still one of the greatest games of all time.

Genesis was leagues ahead of the Master System and I feel it was great competition for Nintendo.

Edited by Metalwario64

To me, coming from the Atari 8-bit and then Apple ][ background, the games for the Nintendo were mostly disappointing. I was into games like Ultima and Wizardry, and I'd already owned great 8-bit action games like Star Raiders, Pole Position, etc. So while I enjoyed SMB and Zelda to a point, and really liked Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the NES is not now and never was a favorite system of mine.

These days, just the idea of a game like SMB with no way to save your progress and pick it up again later seems insane. That keeps me away from many of the NES games. They're from that awkward middle phase, when games were no longer 15-minute quickies, but had not yet adopted battery backup as a standard (despite being able to do it -- witness Zelda, Nobunaga, and others). I can't spend hours playing a game straight thru, so those games mostly sit and gather dust.

SMB can be beaten in well under 10 (closer to 5) minutes without much effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUHjtsvP_E4

Heck yeah, I play that game and it only takes 30 minutes, without takeing the warp pipes and such...I never considered it a long game by any stretch...

The variants with save are nice.....but the original is still IMO the best.

I do hear that though, without knowing what to do, and no way to save, most games, even short ones have little appeal to me, at least on Nintendo, Atari, sure, it's just button mashing, but Nintendo got into the thinkers, without the ability to save the game though, that kinda sucks.

My wife and I owned a NES for a while.

If Atari style gaming was the need, I found the NES generally didn't get it done. Lots of games were too kidified, with what seemed like regulated game play, or just bad game play.

But... some titles were great, and we played the heck outta those.

Monopoly was fun. Used to play it with 3 or 4 people. Tetris was good too, both the Tengen and Nintendo ports. Was disappointed by the Ultima games. Enjoyed a lot of the platformers too.

All in all, I thought the NES was a good deal. Still do.

I don't have any nostalga for it though. It's not something I would collect, and not something I would game on today. Younger kids really like them, even now! I had Nesticle setup on Dreamcast, and it was good for a few games. Maybe it will change down the road. I sure think it's a good target for homebrew.

I might actually go down that road with a flash cart or something someday. I find the things in the thrifts all the time.

I've never been a huge fan though I did love the super nes and n64 but I grew up with those and did not grow up with the nes same goes for sega genesis I grew up with it so I love it. Perhaps if I'd been around for the NES a bit I might have loved it more. Still worth having and playing though from time to time

I have a feeling that most of the NES haters here grew up/live in Europe or Australia.

Yep, even the game markets were backwards in those countries compared to North America.

Not haters, but the NES was just irrelevant in Europe.

Also, the NES was just a backward, no quality system when compared to fdd gaming on C64 or Amiga, computer gaming offered more scope, deeper, bigger, BETTER games. So I'll say the USA was the 'backward' country (Even the US gaming magazine CGW at the time stated NES offers inferior gaming').

Edited by frenchman

What computer games were so much better than NES games in the 80's & early 90's? Just because a game is "bigger, more content, yada yada" doesn't automatically make it a better game. Infact a lot of people, including myself, don't care at all for such computer games. The type where you have to practically read a book before you start playing to understand all of the intricacies of game. ;)

What is "fdd gaming" anyway? fdd?

What computer games were so much better than NES games in the 80's & early 90's? Just because a game is "bigger, more content, yada yada" doesn't automatically make it a better game. Infact a lot of people, including myself, don't care at all for such computer games. The type where you have to practically read a book before you start playing to understand all of the intricacies of game. ;)

What is "fdd gaming" anyway? fdd?

You're kidding right? Excellent games on C64 and/or Amiga? Gosh, too numerous to mention. Excellent games on NES during 80s/early 90s in Europe? Maybe 5. Total sales of NES hardware in Europe by 1992 (source from the book Game Over). 1.5 million. See why the NES was totally irrelevant?

fdd = floppy disk drive, as I said, in Europe cartridges was 'backwards', Europe didn't wanna go back to limited cartridge games, no way.

Yep, even the game markets were backwards in those countries compared to North America.

Not haters, but the NES was just irrelevant in Europe.

Also, the NES was just a backward, no quality system when compared to fdd gaming on C64 or Amiga, computer gaming offered more scope, deeper, bigger, BETTER games. So I'll say the USA was the 'backward' country (Even the US gaming magazine CGW at the time stated NES offers inferior gaming').

I guess ol' J-pan was backwards too yess? ;) Really though, the reason the NES did so well and was loved by millions was because they were "deeper, bigger, BETTER games", but also more importantly it was because they were fun. Honestly, I've played some C64 and Amiga games through emulation as of the past few years, and I just don't see it. The ones that I've played (and I have played quite a few) were much simpler than games like Ninja Gaiden, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Kirby's Adventure and the Megaman Games. I'd love to see a C64 try to pull of Ninja Gaiden! ;) It didn't succeed on sheer power, it succeeded because of the titles it was producing.

The NES screamed with quality here in the US and over in J-pan. But I have heard that NOE just never tried, so I can't speak for the quality in Europe, which may very well have been sub-par.

You're kidding right? Excellent games on C64 and/or Amiga? Gosh, too numerous to mention. Excellent games on NES during 80s/early 90s in Europe? Maybe 5. Total sales of NES hardware in Europe by 1992 (source from the book Game Over). 1.5 million. See why the NES was totally irrelevant?

fdd = floppy disk drive, as I said, in Europe cartridges was 'backwards', Europe didn't wanna go back to limited cartridge games, no way.

Key words "in Europe."

Edited by Metalwario64

I don't know, for C64, I'd say Castles of DR Creep, M.U.L.E. the D+D games... I liked Wavy Navy (fun arcady Galega type of thing) Below the Root, hell, if you look in the right places, The C64 destroyed anything the NES could do (with the exception of color) True, there was a LOT of crap on there too, but honestly, when you have over 10,000 unique titles, you're bound to have quiet a bit of stinkers :P

Funny enough, I think Mario (or at least the smooth scrolling aspect of it) is one of the very few games the C64 may not have been able to do as is, but pretty much everything else, no problem.

I said somewhere, just look at Ghostbusters (which was shitty on every other system) and you'll see a game that truely was superior on the 64....though I think SMS got closest, and 2600 odly enough would be the next in line, while the poor Nintendo version is pretty far down the line :lol:

Except that cartridges have no load times and don't lose their data over time like floppies. :ponder:

I got a few of NES carts which already stopped working, actually quite a few VCS carts too, but all my Computer disks still work perfectly, so you can forget that myth for starters. As for the NES hardware reliability itself, the less said the better. And don't come up with that bull, 'oh your carts need cleaning, should treat them better', all my video games are in A1 condition, it's just a fact, carts die earlier.

Edited by frenchman

Everyone has his own opinion, which is totally fine - the NES isn't great in every way by any means.

But, people keep saying stuff about the lack of arcade ports, all platformers, etc. Totally false. The NES has an enormous number of arcade ports. Contra, Arkanoid, Bubble Bobble, Bump 'n' Jump, City Connection, Spy Hunter, Vindicators, Xenophobe, Legendary Wings, Gradius, Ikari Warriors, etc. etc.

I'd stack it up this way:

+huge game library

+hi-res graphics (vs. Atari low-res graphics)

+smooth scrolling (vs. CV blocky scrolling)

+nice sound

+4-button controllers that were built like tanks

-uncomfortable controllers

-lots and lots of flicker

-limited color palette

-smallish sprites. The commenter that pointed out that most NES sprites were the same size was right.

As for good games/bad games/mediocre games...well. IMO, every system has something like 10% awesome games, 20% horrific games, and 70% middle-of-the-road games. The NES is no different, though with an overall library of ~700 games, that's a lot of very good games.