IGNORED

Atari 2600 Video-Out modification

CPUWIZ

Hey guys,

who would be interested in mod-kits for the 2600 video-out modification ? Simply respond with 'Me' ! If you are not interested - don't post. It will make it easier for me to figure out if it would be worth the trouble.

Thanks

-R

I made an S-video output board for my 7800 only to find that my soldering skills woefully lacking when I attempted to make connections to the 7800's PCB. How are you planning on making the connections? I'd like to learn about a better way.

As for interest in the kit, the only Atari system I have is an Atari 7800.

Hey guys (and girls),

I am planning on making PCB's for the 5200 and 7800 as well, the 2600 PCB is done and I have 10 at hand, I finished the design for the 7800 last night and the 5200 is next.

As for making connections to the motherboard, there is no easy way to make a kit that just clips on, they will have to be soldered and some drilling will have to be done (if you care about a tidy look).

I suppose I could offer this service for a small group of people but not without charging for it because it takes time and I don't have too much of it. One thing I can assure you is that it won't be a situation where you send me your MB and you'll wait for months to get it back.

Cool, maybe if Eckhard doesn't mind ripping a 2600 apart, we can find out if this thing works on a PAL unit or not.

And maybe he can tell you before.

Hey Thomas,

wie weit ist Nordhorn von Hamburg ?

Gut 200km (direkt an der niederländischen Grenze), wieso?

Aber ich wohne hier nur vorübergehend. Spätestens zum Januar ziehe ich wieder um (neuer Job). Wohin weiß ich aber noch nicht, ich suche noch.

What kind of VCS are we talking about here, the old one or the Jr? Anyway, I think the board design of the VCS board and the pinout of the PAL TIA are a bit different from the NTSC version. IIRC there was someone in this forum who has successfully done a video mod for the PAL Jr. Maybe we should ask him for details first.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Thomas:

Habe mich nur gewundert wie weit das ist weil Ich aus Hamburg bin.

Eckhard:

Ideally I would like to come up with instructions for all the variations of systems. Do you remember who it was that did the mod on a PAL unit ?

Have a look at this discussion. It seems that the pinout of the PAL and NTSC TIA might still be the same. There seem to be better ways to connect the composite circuit though.

Oh, und wie kommt man bloß auf die Idee Hamburg gegen Kalifornien tauschen zu wollen? Das ausgezeichnete Wetter hier kann ja wohl kaum das Problem gewesen sein, oder? ;)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Oh, und wie kommt man bloß auf die Idee Hamburg gegen Kalifornien tauschen zu wollen? Das ausgezeichnete Wetter hier kann ja wohl kaum das Problem gewesen sein, oder?  ;)

Kann ich mir auch nicht vorstellen. Viel zu langweilig das Wetter in Kalifornien. Da regnet's ja angeblich (Albert Hammond!) niemals. Wo bleibt denn da die Überaschung? :)

BTW: Die Eskimos haben angeblich über 100 Begriffe für Schnee. Wieviel Begriffe für Regen gibt's denn eigentlich in Hamburg? ;)

There is too many words for rain in Hamburg, that's why I split. :D

Little did I know that Chicago wasn't all that much better, that's where I lived for 7 years before I moved to Cali.

I think I might just buy a PAL unit from eHell and mess with it. I have a multi-norm TV at work so I could try it there.

Little did I know that Chicago wasn't all that much better...

IIRC that's also called "Windy Town", right? :)

I think I might just buy a PAL unit from eHell and mess with it. I have a multi-norm TV at work so I could try it there.

That might be the easiest solution, though I don't know if there are any differences between the various PAL versions. Are the NTSC version all the same?

Yep, Windy City, the only place where I have seen someone's coffee freeze right in front of me.

I bet they are all different just like the NTSC ones, I am only really concerned with the 4 switch, 6 switch and the Jr. !