IGNORED

Atari 2600 Video-Out modification

CPUWIZ

• 2 months later...
Combat was coded with stereo in mind.

Combat simply uses one channel for each tank/plane. This simplifies programming, but it is not stereo by any means. Skeleton attempts to create a stereo soundfield: changing the volume of the two channels while playing the same sound on both channels.

Combat was also one of the original games for the 2600. There were no stereo mods available at that time. In fact, I suspect that stereo TVs may not have even existed at that time.

Combat was also one of the original games for the 2600.  There were no stereo mods available at that time.  In fact, I suspect that stereo TVs may not have even existed at that time.

But wasn't one of the original concepts for the 2600 to have built-in stereo speakers? Or is that a myth? (And what are those round slotted holes for in the top of the 2600 then?)

No, the 1st heavy sixers were intended to have stereo speakers (plus a built-in game, you can see the empty IC footprint for in on the motherboard).  A lot of the old systems like Video Pinball had a built-in speaker, just not two.

Sweet, have you traced the pinout of the footprint ? Does it have proper pads and are they connected ? :)

Sweet, have you traced the pinout of the footprint ? Does it have proper pads and are they connected ?

I think it's connected with the proper pads but haven't seen the motherboard in awhile and was concentrating on other things at the time. For those interested, Kevin Horton discusses how to have an 2600 with a built-in rom in:

http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/2600/bankzilla.html

• 1 month later...

Is there still a plan to make these mods for the 2600? I have an NTSC unit that as of today looks like it needs a mod or a replacement RF modulator. The mod would be preffered, I would think. ;)

If no one has prebuilts for sale I could do with a diagram or plans as I would be able to just build my own!

Thanks!

hi,

i've been reading all the posts/FAQs about the composite mod but when i actually open up the system, it doesn't look like it's supposed to. sadly, the pictograms on the FAQ don't seem to be accurate (or at least i can't follow them). i have the 4 button CX 2600. does anyone have any photo's of the board so i can see exactly where to put the jumpers? thanks!

Look for lnks to Ben Heckendorn's VCSp (there is a recent forum item about him). ON his site he shows how to do his video mod to all models of atari - and he includes explicit pictures. Well... not explicit in the way one might think... :)

I followed his directions for a video mod, and had it running in 20 minutes.

• 6 months later...
What I remember about the built-in game .. is that if you put a ROM in there .. that's all you get!  You cannont use the cart slot for any other game.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, Ga

I've been wanting to tinker with this, when I get time :roll: I figure thers got to be a way to instal a contact switch in the load slot to diable the onboard chip somehow,, What I really would like for this is a Mulitcart Chip? maybe like one of those junior Aussie units with the on screen display (but of course in NTSC