IGNORED

Flashcard Help

im_reg

still nothing. i think imma try it on my Lynx I

maybe its got something to do with windows 7? im using windows 7 right now.

the only .lnx image ive gotten to partially work is AvP proto. Only the title menu shows up, but wont go any further.

EDIT

still getting "insert game" on my lynx I. Its in new mint condition unlike my lynxII. so i dunno

alright! ninja gaiden works!! i own this game so i can use this rom proof: (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/TorxT3D/Consoles/IMG_0897_sm.jpg)

only thing i did different was press anykey right after the flash and disconnected the usb without disconnecting from hterm.

LYNXOPOLY WORKS!! yes!!! i dropped the speed to 57600, and removed the usb cable before disconnecting from hterm and im getting better results!

EDIT2!

the insert game is due to misalignment of the chipboard insertion. i pulled the flash card up a little bit and the game started up.

bernd, you might wanna look into this. dunno if its because of worn contacts IN the lynx or if the card needs to be extended in height a little.

pressing the card in, firmly ALL the way down results in "insert game". I turn the lynx off, wiggle the card up a bit, then turn it back on, and it works.

anyways, CHEERS!! :)

Edited by Torx

still nothing. i think imma try it on my Lynx I

maybe its got something to do with windows 7? im using windows 7 right now.

the only .lnx image ive gotten to partially work is AvP proto. Only the title menu shows up, but wont go any further.

EDIT

still getting "insert game" on my lynx I. Its in new mint condition unlike my lynxII. so i dunno

alright! ninja gaiden works!! i own this game so i can use this rom proof: (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/TorxT3D/Consoles/IMG_0897_sm.jpg)

only thing i did different was press anykey right after the flash and disconnected the usb without disconnecting from hterm.

LYNXOPOLY WORKS!! yes!!! i dropped the speed to 57600, and removed the usb cable before disconnecting from hterm and im getting better results!

EDIT2!

the insert game is due to misalignment of the chipboard insertion. i pulled the flash card up a little bit and the game started up.

bernd, you might wanna look into this. dunno if its because of worn contacts IN the lynx or if the card needs to be extended in height a little. anyways, CHEERS!! :)

Iam very happy that you can see Lynxopoly is worth to buy it :D :cool:

Windows 7?

OK, this is not a good idea. The drivers are not made for Win 7.

I use Win XP and Vista and i have no problems mit 115200 Baud.

> press anykey right after the flash and disconnected the usb without disconnecting from hterm

There is no effect to the function of the FlashCard if you do this.

> i dropped the speed to 57600

This is the solution in your case.

I am sorry, but until FTDI do not provide offical drivers for Win 7, problems may be happen.

This problems are caused by the OS and not by the FlashCard.

I have done more than 1000 uploads with my prototypes and around 120-150 with a "production-type" FlashCard. All uploads was no problem (if the firmware was OK ;) ) and i made 98 or 99% of all uploads with 115200 Baud.

Kind Regards

Lynxman

EDIT2!

bernd, you might wanna look into this. dunno if its because of worn contacts IN the lynx or if the card needs to be extended in height a little.

pressing the card in, firmly ALL the way down results in "insert game". I turn the lynx off, wiggle the card up a bit, then turn it back on, and it works.

I tried out and i can not confirm. All 3 Lynx i made this are worked without problems.

There was never this kind of problems problem with all of my Prototypes. I have done different outlines of the contacts, also some which are shorter. There was never a problem with all 5 Lynx i own.

My Beta test crew never claimed me something like this. In total there was 8 Alpha-/Beta-Prototypes and Productions Boards which was used from me and the Beta test crew without contact problems.

More than 2000 uploads was made with this boards. (maybe lot more, because i do the math with my brain and it is now around 11:20 pm in Germany ;) ) But no claims.

I use the same outline of the connectors for my Game-Cards (red PCBs) and for the Lynxopoly-Board. There was no claim until now.

This means around 200 Boards with the same connector outline are working fine.

Please clean the contacts of the FlashCard, maybe this is a problem caused by the ESD-packing.

Or maybe a problem with your Lynx. Is it possible to try out another Lynx?

Kind Regards

Lynxman

i may have to clean and adjust the contacts on my lynx II.

yea, its probably just the internal contacts that need cleaning.

i'll open the lynx up and inspect/clean

but, IT WORKS! and thats all that matters! :) thanks dude

lynxopoly is pretty fast paced, imma have to read a manual to figure this one out. :P

i may have to clean and adjust the contacts on my lynx II.

yea, its probably just the internal contacts that need cleaning.

i'll open the lynx up and inspect/clean

but, IT WORKS! and thats all that matters! :) thanks dude

lynxopoly is pretty fast paced, imma have to read a manual to figure this one out. :P

Hi,

i think the contacts on Lynx side may be dirt.

Same issue at 1 of my Lynx some years ago.

Today at (boring ;) ) work i thinked about the problem and i remember the cleaning was need at 1 of my Lynx II.

Kind Regards

Lynxman

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my computer is a Mac OS X unit. Using Zterm.

It's displaying fine...

LANGUAGE

[X] english [4] deutsch [6] francais [7] espanol [8] nederlands

SYSTEM

systeminfo [x] reset all

================================================================================

FLASH

[w] write [v] verify

93C46

write [y] verify [r] read [e] erase

BAUDRATE

[9] 9600 [2] 19200 [3] 38400 [5] 57600 [X] 115200

MODE

[g] 128k [X] 256k/BLL 512K [k] 512K-BLL

[X] lnx bin/lyx

LANGUAGE

SYSTEM

systeminfo [x] reset all

================================================================================

erasing memory ............................

please start upload data

I can get the card to erase, I can get it up to the point where you upload the image. But what it the protocal for upload? X modem? Y modem? Z Modem?

What is the term setting for this at that point? What command do I use to send the image?

Well, I have been working for hours trying to figure out the transfer protocol used by the Lynx Flash.

Apparently no specific program is used. All that is needed is a term program. On the box it says there are drivers for the Mac, and there are.

But what file transfer protocol is used to upload to the card? There is all this talk of referring to the manual, but when it came to the uploading part the instructions seem to wax over that part. "Set this, set that, ok, now you hit W, this window pops up, and the file transfer starts."

Very vague. What was used to select the image file before you got to hitting "W"???

Part of my problem here is I saw that a term program was used to set this flash device up, and I said "Great! I've used term programs since 1984!" Only problem is, I guess I know too much in regards to this.

I even tried to get this version of Hyperterm working under virtual PC, but the driver install for the "PC" is a much more crude process than on the Mac side and couldn't get it to line up, at least under emulation.

So back to the question, what file transfer protocol is selected to make this happen? (X modem, Y Modem, Z Modem...?) Or is there a new file protocol that Hyperterm (another term program I've used for years and years) has under .08 beta that the earlier versions did not have?

Well, I have been working for hours trying to figure out the transfer protocol used by the Lynx Flash.

Apparently no specific program is used. All that is needed is a term program. On the box it says there are drivers for the Mac, and there are.

But what file transfer protocol is used to upload to the card? There is all this talk of referring to the manual, but when it came to the uploading part the instructions seem to wax over that part. "Set this, set that, ok, now you hit W, this window pops up, and the file transfer starts."

Very vague. What was used to select the image file before you got to hitting "W"???

Part of my problem here is I saw that a term program was used to set this flash device up, and I said "Great! I've used term programs since 1984!" Only problem is, I guess I know too much in regards to this.

I even tried to get this version of Hyperterm working under virtual PC, but the driver install for the "PC" is a much more crude process than on the Mac side and couldn't get it to line up, at least under emulation.

So back to the question, what file transfer protocol is selected to make this happen? (X modem, Y Modem, Z Modem...?) Or is there a new file protocol that Hyperterm (another term program I've used for years and years) has under .08 beta that the earlier versions did not have?

Hi Doc,

i tried to answer your PM, but there was a error message:

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger.

This personal message has not been sent"

Here is the answer:

I don´t use any file transfer protocol! There is no need to do this. It is no connection from one computer to an other 500 miles away by using 2400 Baud modem. ;)

It is USB and the last less than 5cm from the USB chip to the µCom is serial. Maximum speed 115200 baud. To implement a file transfer protocol in this case is wasting of time and Flash from the µCom. (OK, some NASA-style things should use it anyway. ;) ) i have done more than 1000 uploads with different prototypes and the final design. There was not 1 case that the verify was not successfull. The only trouble was with USB-Hub and if Windows was crashed or with broken wire.

I don´t know your terminal proggi. Please post a link to a manual.

You should try to send the data without any protocol.

Kind Regards

Lynxman

Here is the answer to your question:

In HTerm, After you hit "W" and it tells you "Please start upload data", you push the "Send File" button. (In the HTerm introduction section of the manual, it is item "D".) It brings up a menu, and you choose the Lynx file to upload. Then hit the Start button on that menu and it loads the file.

Same thing for using verify. Hit "V", then after "Start Upload for Verify" you again hit "Send File," pick the same file and it verifies for you.

I helped Lynxman clean up the English translation, and one problem I had was not having a FlashCard in my possession to use while checking the manual. Today, when I started using mine for the first time, I had the same question as you.

I'm going to send a couple of suggestions to Lynxman, to change in any future updates of the manual.

Hope this helps,

Smeg

Well today I worked on trying the Lynx Flash at work with the HTerm .8 and all that.

Connected, talked, sent the file fine as far as I could tell. Getting the "Insert Game" message.

So the upload protocol is something other than x-modem, y-modem, or z-modem... so it is a text transfer? Aside from maybe Kermit I am not familiar with other ways of transferring.

The transfer used in Hterm seems to be a straight character transfer. All that was selected in the manual with the options of Ascii, Binary, Hex, dec was just the Ascii option. So if this is true, it uploads as a ascii level?

Still trying to get this to work. I want to understand this so I can get Macs talking to this, and other computer platforms with a simple term program (and the driver of course)

Day two of no successful image load.

But I remind myself, this is a fan effort, I'm glad the effort was made, it was a neat idea. Thank you for going through on a hobby effort and making these possible.

Calm... calm...

Edited by doctorclu

Hmm. I don't have this flash cart but this discussion reminds me a lot of one I had with Carl when he got my first devflash cart. It took a week to find out that he needs to plug in the cable to the Lynx also.

Perhaps there is some very obvious piece missing.

The "standard" uploader protocol is just a few magic bytes plus a raw binary image that is transferred to a serial port. There is no checksums, no retries, no protocols, no nothing. I assume that this flash cart uses the same technique as it has proven to be very reliable.

I created a special software for reliable Windows transfers. It also works as a generic terminal program. At http://sipo.fi/Mttty.exe

This program works with all carts containing uploaders. And you can also use it with USB->serial ports.

--

Karri

Although I found Hterm to be a needlessly complicated sort of terminal program, I had the card up and working within about 10 minutes. Uploads to the card are straight ASCII in the terminal software.

So you would send an image file, usually a binary file, as ascii characters, or is this a ascii transmitted with binary conversion (an option I've seen on multiple term programs).

Thanks for helping narrow this down BTW.

Hmm. I don't have this flash cart but this discussion reminds me a lot of one I had with Carl when he got my first devflash cart. It took a week to find out that he needs to plug in the cable to the Lynx also.

Perhaps there is some very obvious piece missing.

The "standard" uploader protocol is just a few magic bytes plus a raw binary image that is transferred to a serial port. There is no checksums, no retries, no protocols, no nothing. I assume that this flash cart uses the same technique as it has proven to be very reliable.

I created a special software for reliable Windows transfers. It also works as a generic terminal program. At http://sipo.fi/Mttty.exe

This program works with all carts containing uploaders. And you can also use it with USB->serial ports.

"Standard" in the 80's and into the early 90's was X modem.

"Standard" in the 90's and into current would be more Y Modem or Z Modem.

I have never seen, with the exception of transferring text files or text documents, ascii as the "standard". The idea of sending binary files as a ascii feed is alien to me.

That said, thanks for the suggested file you wrote, I might just try that.

Well today I worked on trying the Lynx Flash at work with the HTerm .8 and all that.

Connected, talked, sent the file fine as far as I could tell. Getting the "Insert Game" message.

It is possible the card is not functioning properly. Have you tried resetting the card? ... from Lynxman, post #14 in this thread:

Please open manual and follow instructions on page 17 "The Card doesn't react any more:".

Also, what Lynx file are you trying to load? You've checked the file size and the .lnx vs .lyx? Are you sure it works properly in Handy? (I know these are obvious, but hey, often times, it's something simple.)

After you've reset the cart, try following Matashen's instructions (from post 11).

If that doesn't work... what do you think, Lynxman? Could there be an issue with the Bootloader? What would you suggest next?

Hope this helps you, Doctorclu.

Cheers,

Smeg

Please write to us,

1.What file do you want to load

2.Whats your selected options (Press Anykey on the card to get the selected Options. An X means the Option is selected)

Otherwise its not possible to help you.

I have no Problems with my cards, so i think an option is set false.

And remember, .o files are not working.

Regards

Matthias

If that doesn't work... what do you think, Lynxman? Could there be an issue with the Bootloader? What would you suggest next?

No, the Bootloader is only for update the Firmware of the FlashCard.

If you don´t press anykey while reset or power up the FlashCard, the Bootloader will jump within µseconds to the Firmware.

I think doctorclu is thinking like data tranfer worked long times ago.

There is a reason to use X modem (etc): if you send the data to an other system long away of your system.

The FlashCard use a USB-Connection to the PC. No need to use protocols with checksum etc.

Only send the file like it is. Byte after byte.

I need the setting of the FlashCard doctorclu is using.

I need the file doctorclu want to upload.

There are 2 scenarios for the possible fault:

1) wrong setting of the terminal program

2) worng setting of the FlashCard

Kind Regards

Lynxman

Thanks for the responses.

Ok, figured this out. Yahhh…

Naturally I had the flash cart talking to the PC after getting the drier and HTerm .8 loaded. I switched to 57K baud, which seemed to help others here on the list. On the term side, newline at CR+LF. Send file just set for ASCII. (Weird!!)

You can see the settings here…

FLASH

[w] write [v] verify

93C46

write [y] verify [r] read [e] erase

BAUDRATE

[9] 9600 [2] 19200 [3] 38400 [X] 57600 [1] 115200

MODE

[g] 128k [X] 256k/BLL 512K [k] 512K-BLL

[X] lnx bin/lyx

LANGUAGE

SYSTEM

systeminfo [x] reset all

[Then set to write]

erasing memory ............................

please start upload data

[Then ran a verify afterwards…]

start upload for verify

verify successfull

One thing I was doing before was using the “bin/lnx” option instead of just “lnx” What is the difference?

For those not making it, I would suggest if you have it trying it on a second Lynx to make sure the Lynx itself is not reading the card right.

post-4709-1248299003_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1248299011_thumb.jpg

Karri, I like the simplicity of this term program, but what do you need to select to get the term ascii (incoming at least) displayed? If you can tell me this much I look forward to trying this on my Win98 box.

Karri, I like the simplicity of this term program, but what do you need to select to get the term ascii (incoming at least) displayed? If you can tell me this much I look forward to trying this on my Win98 box.

Before you make the connection you need to change away the tick-box that ignores the incoming data. ComLynx is only one wire so I ignore reads by default.

--

Karri

One thing I was doing before was using the “bin/lnx” option instead of just “lnx” What is the difference?

The bin/lnx is just the ROM image of a cart.

The lnx has an additional header in front of the ROM. This is necessary for Handy emulation.

Here is the lnx-header of my Solitare

LynxBlockSize=1024	 ; This should be a system-level parameter
				   ; when we have encrypted loaders for 512
				   ; and 2048 byte blocks also

.segment		"CARTDIR"
   ; Here is a small header for Handy - the Lynx emulator
	.byte   'L','Y','N','X'				  ; magic
	.word   LynxBlockSize					; bank 0 page size
	.word   LynxBlockSize					; bank 1 page size
	.word   1								; version number
	.asciiz "Solitare pack for Lynx		 "; 32 bytes cart name
	.asciiz "Karris project "				; 16 bytes manufacturer name