IGNORED

Say Good-Bye to the 2600 Connection

Shquata

Working for the second largest printing company in the world i can tell you times are tough in the printing industry.

Books do well still but the stuff we do like magazines and such seem to be getting smaller or the companies the publish them are going out of business.

And the printing industry can be pretty cutthroat at times too with rival companies underbidding each other taking a loss moneywise just to get work.

Anyway sorry to go off on a tangent like that but yeah its sad that the 2600 Connection is ending there is still something cool about getting a Atari newsletter in the mail.

Wish i had subscribed to it myself but it was one of those " When i get around to it things" sadly.

I never subscribed to 2600 Connection,but i really enjoyed the days of rushing to the mail box and getting my various other newsletters from the various clubs i was in when i was like 10 or 12.It was a real special treat for me.

Tim Duarte was my mentor, and the reason I got into fanzines in 1991. Tim, you're like an older brother to me. There would be no Zap! fanzine (nor Zap! Classic Gaming Forums) had it not been for you. I still have all of your many, many letters from the 90's (ahh, snail mail!). Thank you for all your help and support, and for creating such a wonderful newsletter!

Edited by White Knight

I received about 40 copies since I came to know about the magazine and liked every issue.

It was a retro newsletter for a retro hobby. And I'm really going to miss it...

Hopefully somebody is going to start the "2600 reconnection" somewhen...

:sad: I was just about to subscribe!

Same here. I bought Volume 1 and 2 from Digital Press' store in Clifton. I wanted to subscribe and now I find out about this. Let's just hope Russ Perry decides to make a Volume 3 and 4!

I was going to post the first 5 issues of 2600 Connection here on AA, but I got an 'Cease and desist' order from Tim Duarte telling me to stop doing so*

Therefore I am going to post the 'first 10 years' article, read it, they almost made it 20 years, but I guess it wasn't to be.

10years.jpg

*Actually I got a very nice message from Tim Duarte asking nicely to stop posting 2600 Connection on AA mainly because he is still selling the first 50 issues. So if anyone's interested, and I know you all are, contact Tim (see 2600 Connection website), he's selling an issue for $1.50 each (Or maybe he still does the Volume packs, which in turn are cheaper). Can't say fairer than that.

Edited by frenchman

It is not really up to me. I have control over issues 1-50. Those are the issues I published.

Issues 51-76 were published by Russ Perry Jr. and Al Backiel published issues 77-100.

There have been no talks about a complete set. Printing costs are up, so I don't know.

For now, interested readers need to contact either myself, Russ, and / or Al in regards to the specific issues.

Tim

http://2600connection.atari.org/see.html

Any chance for a complete set for sale anytime soon? How about it, Tim!

Working for the second largest printing company in the world i can tell you times are tough in the printing industry.

Books do well still but the stuff we do like magazines and such seem to be getting smaller or the companies the publish them are going out of business.

And the printing industry can be pretty cutthroat at times too with rival companies underbidding each other taking a loss moneywise just to get work.

Anyway sorry to go off on a tangent like that but yeah its sad that the 2600 Connection is ending there is still something cool about getting a Atari newsletter in the mail.

Wish i had subscribed to it myself but it was one of those " When i get around to it things" sadly.

Sorry to hear about the hard times in the printing industry. I enjoy magazines and books much better than seeing things on the screen (much easier on the eyes) although with regards to things like Atari I guess it makes sense that the primary source of industry is computer/internet based. My main hobby is classic cars and I still enjoy reading about them in magazines much more than the internet.

• 2 weeks later...
It is not really up to me. I have control over issues 1-50. Those are the issues I published.

Issues 51-76 were published by Russ Perry Jr. and Al Backiel published issues 77-100.

There have been no talks about a complete set. Printing costs are up, so I don't know.

For now, interested readers need to contact either myself, Russ, and / or Al in regards to the specific issues.

Tim

http://2600connection.atari.org/see.html

Any chance for a complete set for sale anytime soon? How about it, Tim!

A little (ok a lot) late but wanted to add a note. I did subscribe and always enjoyed getting it in the mail. Sure the internet is great , bla bla bla , but OLD Hobby/Game System info was great in an OLD Format ....PRINT that is. Just a quick note , the 2 sets Tim offers are put together very well and make a nice collection addition as well as being easy to store.

;)

The Old Guy

I subscribed for a long time (even had an article or two in it), but with the age of the internet the 2600 Connection had really outlived its usefulness. It was a nicely put together little newsletter, but by the time it shipped everything in it was old news. Print really is dead I'm afraid.

Tempest

Print is NOT dead. It just has to get innovative. And dual-purpose (both print AND web) I do a little comic'zine thing called Action Geek Black & White and have been doing both print and web for years. 2600 Connection WAS great, but all they did was print. They should have gone on to do both at some point, maybe even evolved into a full on website with forums and stuff, but that didn't happen. I'm not dissing them. I loved getting the newsletter in the mail. But Print is most certainly NOT dead. Those who don't adapt, though, ARE doomed. Doomed, I say.

agbw10_covera.jpg