IGNORED

IS The FB3 project still alive?

I guess it isn't happening then and if the Flashback 2 is anything to go by, based on what you said elsewhere wgungfu (i.e the Flashback 2 wasnt made/designed for the UK market) I guess i've got better chance of winning the national lottery (16 million to 1 chance/odds) then i have of ever seeing an flashback 3 (though i have seen something called an atari flashback boxed, cant remember if it were Fb1 or 2)

I guess it isn't happening then

No, never said that.

and if the Flashback 2 is anything to go by, based on what you said elsewhere wgungfu (i.e the Flashback 2 wasnt made/designed for the UK market)

Nope, never said that. Simply said it was never released for the UK market because we never got to put out a PAL version.

I guess i've got better chance of winning the national lottery (16 million to 1 chance/odds) then i have of ever seeing an flashback 3 (though i have seen something called an atari flashback boxed, cant remember if it were Fb1 or 2)

No, you'd have a better chance of any of the Flashbacks having less processing power than you, and rest assured they have more.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst i see that Fb3 is slightly evolved from Fb2...i.e you are not limited to the built in games etc, since i understand that you can load in your own games into the fb3 somehow

I am not trying to diss the fb3 here, it is good for what it is but i think we all know that emulation in any form has come some way since the original fb3 project was first mooted

The market is saturated with 'single system' hardware emulators, and over the coming period 'multiple system hardware emulation on a single hardware platform' (i.e dingoo a320 and gp2x and similar) will simply dominate and take over the market, after all, it's more cost effective to buy just one of these multi system hardware emulators then buying all these single system emulators doing the same thing

Perhaps if the fb3 project is revived, perhaps curt and whoever is working the project with him might consider something like a gpx2 or dingoo a320 but only covering all the atari gaming and computing platforms (i.e an all in one atari hardware emulator)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Perhaps if the fb3 project is revived, perhaps curt and whoever is working the project with him might consider something like a gpx2 or dingoo a320 but only covering all the atari gaming and computing platforms (i.e an all in one atari hardware emulator)

A 2600/5200/7800 box with a(non user accessible)SD card would be neat.

• 2 months later...

A 2600/5200/7800 box with a(non user accessible)SD card would be neat.

If it's not user accessible, how would you add games to it? USB cable?

I think the ability to add your choice of games(via service like iTunes) would be fantastic, since it would allow people to buy the games they want. Of course, a small group of built in "stock" games would be appropriate.

Curt, can you give us any clue as to what kinds of games we can look forward to? I mean, any chance of some kick-ass Activision, or other 3rd party games?

FB3 is being dusted off once Christmas and the holidays are past...

In the meantime, "if" a new console were to come out, "perhaps" it might have some new titles on it, "perhaps" it might be a bunch of titles not used in previous FB iterations, "perhaps" it might be called something like "FB2+"

"if" something was being worked on...

:ponder:

Curt

• Like 6

In the meantime, "if" a new console were to come out, "perhaps" it might have some new titles on it, "perhaps" it might be a bunch of titles not used in previous FB iterations, "perhaps" it might be called something like "FB2+"

Curt

Intriguing!

..Al

"If" something was being worked on, might it have TIA timing fixes and illegal opcodes that were missing from FB2, and still have cartridge port connection points?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Yes, I agree - though I'd be OK with just SBX which is a very useful undocumented opcode that the original FB2 does not support.

I'd also like to see an FB2 that was compatible with carts with RAM and bankswitch schemes with hotspots outside of cartridge space. I'm not sure if it's simply a matter of getting the bus timing right, or of the bus signals aren't available at all outside of cartridge space?

Curt

That would be excellent! Those are some mighty cool "ifs"!

Curt

Just add on the actual cart connector for us butterfingers and be done with it! :twisted:

Curt

Dangit, don't start an IF statement without a THEN.

Bad BASIC Jokes aside, this sounds pretty cool. Good luck. This is now the first year where I want Christmas to go by quick (unless that means i miss out on getting a GP2X Wiz this Christmas).

Curt

Dangit, don't start an IF statement without a THEN.

Bad BASIC Jokes aside, this sounds pretty cool. Good luck. This is now the first year where I want Christmas to go by quick (unless that means i miss out on getting a GP2X Wiz this Christmas).

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

That got me, I had thought the same thing when I read it!

Edited by nathanallan

"If" something was being worked on, might it have TIA timing fixes and illegal opcodes that were missing from FB2, and still have cartridge port connection points?

And of course, if you can't include an actual cartridge port, could you at least *hypothetically* have metal pins or an edge connector to facilitate modding the 'hypothetical' hardware without soldering.

GB

And of course, if you can't include an actual cartridge port, could you at least *hypothetically* have metal pins or an edge connector to facilitate modding the 'hypothetical' hardware without soldering.

GB

I would be fine with just an unpopulated footprint for a through-hole edge connector rather than a bunch of pads all over the place (which is kind of a pain to solder wires to.)