IGNORED

IS The FB3 project still alive?

LOL, I love how people just can't be stoked on the prospects of it "possibly" coming out again. They have to start requesting stuff they know were left off last time for a reason and would not be on this one for the same reason.

I guess a footprint for a through-hole edge connector would add a few pennies to the cost of each board, so I can see that.

It might have been tough to get write timing signals right.

However, I don't know of any reason why SBX was left off when so many other less useful undocumented opcodes were not.

LOL, I love how people just can't be stoked on the prospects of it "possibly" coming out again. They have to start requesting stuff they know were left off last time for a reason and would not be on this one for the same reason.

Heck, I know I'm stoked about it coming back! Whats the big deal about it having a cartridge port, really? Other than the novelty, it seems like you guys don't have a 2600 to play your games on and you desperately need a system to do so.

Heck, I know I'm stoked about it coming back! Whats the big deal about it having a cartridge port, really? Other than the novelty, it seems like you guys don't have a 2600 to play your games on and you desperately need a system to do so.

The FB3 was supposed to be a clone of the Atari 8-bit line of computers, not the 2600.

Stephen Anderson

The FB3 was supposed to be a clone of the Atari 8-bit line of computers, not the 2600.

Stephen Anderson

Nobody is talking about the FB3, rather the FB2+ right now.

As Curt mentioned, we're dusting off the FB3 after New Years and have some good plans laid out.

Edited by wgungfu

Stephen Anderson

Nobody is talking about the FB3, rather the FB2+ right now.

As Curt mentioned, we're dusting off the FB3 after New Years and have some good plans laid out.

Oh - my bad. Both sound cool, I'll do my best to spread the word.

Stephen Anderson

I had the pleasure of playing with a non-functional mockup of the Flashback portable at MGC earlier in the year and was even able to spend a decent amount of time talking with Marty about it. Sadly, it sounds like the only thing holding it back from the production line is a financeer, which is a terrible shame. The looks and feel of the unit felt right, as well as the proposed price point and the features to be implemented in it. From what I've seen, what is left of the Flashback 2s have sold really well around here at Kroger stores and anywhere else that managed to secure inventory this holiday season. Maybe that could persuade potential money men?

Edited by Carey85

• 3 weeks later...

FB3 is being dusted off once Christmas and the holidays are past...

In the meantime, "if" a new console were to come out, "perhaps" it might have some new titles on it, "perhaps" it might be a bunch of titles not used in previous FB iterations, "perhaps" it might be called something like "FB2+"

"if" something was being worked on...

:ponder:

Curt

Alright, its after Christmas, lets get a move on! :)

I kid, Happy Holidays to everyone and an Atari filled new year to all!

Let's get that Brazilian Pronto! system mass-produced. That seems like it would be a better FB3, because it's like, there already.

This might be a dumb question but what is the Pronto system? I tried doing a google image search and I'm not finding anything. Do you have a picture of this system?

Let's get that Brazilian Pronto! system mass-produced. That seems like it would be a better FB3, because it's like, there already.

This might be a dumb question but what is the Pronto system? I tried doing a google image search and I'm not finding anything. Do you have a picture of this system?

I think he's refering to this-

Atari with 1200 ROMs

Atari with 1200 ROMs

Simply bad-ass!

Stephen Anderson

I wish I could be more excited about this, but unless the compatibility will be improved(sounds like not from what wgungfu says) I'm apprehensive.

I don't know, maybe a lot of cool homebrews or expensive/rare games built in would be cool, but call me wacky, I just wanna play Berzerk, Jungle Hunt, Defender II/Stargate, Jr. Pac-Man, Pitfall II, Frogger II, Cosmic Ark, Crystal Castles, Dig Dug, HERO, Galaxian, Mario Bros, etc.

Atari with 1200 ROMs

Thanks for the FYI! That is really cool, but I think I still want the FB3. I thought the Pronto system was going to be some kind of atari 8-bit computer (ie 800, 400, 600XL). I would still like to see the 8-bit computer line FB'ed.

You know what would make a good game for the new FB3? Major Havoc... I know, would have to be programed first, but that would make one heck of a game to have on the atari 8-bit computers

Honestly, I've never had the opportunity to play an Atari computer, or a 5200, so the FB3 being some incarnation of that would probably be really cool to me. I've enjoyed the prior FB's and the thought of them being some type of portable is pretty sweet. Not sure how they are gonna get by all the licensing of some of the games, or if they will be available at all. Guess only time will tell.

I guess a footprint for a through-hole edge connector would add a few pennies to the cost of each board, so I can see that.

It might have been tough to get write timing signals right.

However, I don't know of any reason why SBX was left off when so many other less useful undocumented opcodes were not.

Yes, SBX absolutely needs to be added. Perhaps leaving it out in the first place was just an oversight?

Whilst it's nice that this FB3 device will finally see the light of day, considering what it has to compete against ...namely dingoo, wiz and it's ilk and multiple emulators on a single hardware platform as well as the free emulators/emulations available for various platforms...I think it's going to struggle to sell in any numbers (even though it will only be designed to work on US telly standards)

If this had come out say a few months after FB2, it might have stood a chance (as the market then was still geared towards single emulator on single hardware platforms), I'm not critising the good work and hard effort the likes of Curt, Mike, Marty and co have put into the device, i just think it's a case of 'it's missed the boat' and that the market has moved on

Perhaps what they could do, to make it interesting for people to buy, is stick some sort of 2600 and 7800 hardware emulation in the same device, at least that way it will be relevant to the current market for such devices (even if that does add a few dollars more to the base price)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Whilst it's nice that this FB3 device will finally see the light of day, considering what it has to compete against ...namely dingoo, wiz and it's ilk and multiple emulators on a single hardware platform as well as the free emulators/emulations available for various platforms...I think it's going to struggle to sell in any numbers (even though it will only be designed to work on US telly standards)

If this had come out say a few months after FB2, it might have stood a chance (as the market then was still geared towards single emulator on single hardware platforms), I'm not critising the good work and hard effort the likes of Curt, Mike, Marty and co have put into the device, i just think it's a case of 'it's missed the boat' and that the market has moved on

Perhaps what they could do, to make it interesting for people to buy, is stick some sort of 2600 and 7800 hardware emulation in the same device, at least that way it will be relevant to the current market for such devices (even if that does add a few dollars more to the base price)

Boy, I'm going to have to disagree with you Carmel on this one. Theres a very large part of society (I'd guess well over 90%) that hasn't gone the multi-emulator route. The fact that they have to be ordered online and are not found in stores anywhere already hurts them, but not having any backing by the Atari community is the ultimate nail in the coffin. I predict a very large percentage of Atari Agers would buy the FB3 and will also buy the FB2+ once available, since we know who has made them and trust the quality that has been put into them.

As for the rest of the market, and probably the most important, you have to look at the success of the Wii to see that people don't need the most flashy graphics and high powered system to be successful. That, coupled with the fact that nostalgia sells big time has the FB3 selling very well, IMO. This few year break, although discouraging for us Flashback fans, was probably for the best for the market. The plug-n-play market at that time was pretty flooded with joysticks and mini-consoles that played classic games. Bringing the FB2+ and FB3 out within a few months to a year of one another would give Legacy/Atari 2 potential hits in the toy market. I, for one, can't wait.

Boy, I'm going to have to disagree with you Carmel on this one. Theres a very large part of society (I'd guess well over 90%) that hasn't gone the multi-emulator route. The fact that they have to be ordered online and are not found in stores anywhere already hurts them, but not having any backing by the Atari community is the ultimate nail in the coffin. I predict a very large percentage of Atari Agers would buy the FB3 and will also buy the FB2+ once available, since we know who has made them and trust the quality that has been put into them.

As for the rest of the market, and probably the most important, you have to look at the success of the Wii to see that people don't need the most flashy graphics and high powered system to be successful. That, coupled with the fact that nostalgia sells big time has the FB3 selling very well, IMO. This few year break, although discouraging for us Flashback fans, was probably for the best for the market. The plug-n-play market at that time was pretty flooded with joysticks and mini-consoles that played classic games. Bringing the FB2+ and FB3 out within a few months to a year of one another would give Legacy/Atari 2 potential hits in the toy market. I, for one, can't wait.

I agree 100%

What I like about your post is "Legacy/Atari 2". Atari 2, I like it. It sounds like a sequel to a movie. Atari 2 will hopefully release the FB3 soon. :D

(just need a logo now!)