IGNORED

IS The FB3 project still alive?

Carmel, I also have to disagree with you. With the Wiz, Dingoo and all the rest, they will all be more expensive and fragile than anything Atari. A single purpose device will also be more appealing since there will be fewer menus and setup to go through. This definitely does entice me. Especially if it's less than ~$80.

I want a Dingoo or Wiz, but having an Atari play out of the box Atari games with zero setup and no fear of accidentally dropping it and breaking it is extremely appealing.

Has there been any consensus as to what the majority here wants the platform of the F3 to be? Ie another 2600(eh, no), 5200, 7800, or Jag? The problem you get into with that is the later you go, the less first-party games become available. And not every company is Activision-friendly. Darn, now I want one of those Dingoos now.

Has there been any consensus as to what the majority here wants the platform of the F3 to be? Ie another 2600(eh, no), 5200, 7800, or Jag? The problem you get into with that is the later you go, the less first-party games become available. And not every company is Activision-friendly. Darn, now I want one of those Dingoos now.

The 7800 and Jaguar had basically zero market share. Not to mention the insane cost in producing something like the Jag chipset in custom silicon. That won't happen anytime soon.

Stephen Anderson

For those who don't know the FB3 is base on the Atari 8-bit computer line (at least it use to be. Look in the old FB3 thread). IIRC, it was to have the inner workings of an atari 8-bit computer in a 5200 looking case. It was also supposed to have a cart like slot that was pin compatible with the computers but a smaller form factor. I don't know how much of this has changed. It would be nice to know what the specs would be at this point, since it has been 4+ years since we saw the original specs.

I wonder if it would have self centering 5200 sticks, if it is indeed using the 5200 as its case model, or since its using the 8-bit line of hardware would it go with your standard 2600 joystick? (Didn't most games take advantage of the keyboard in the 8-bit line?)

We're not all sure if this is still the direction that the FB3 is going, since its been a few years since its been talked about in the first place. As I've said before though, I'll be happy with whatever comes out by these guys.

I dunno, I have a 7800 and a Cuttle Cart II and I would still love to see a 2600 on a chip that is 100% faithful to the original hardware. On the other hand, I own a 5200 that isn't worth a sh*t because the controllers are crap. I rebuilt one controller a couple years ago and the last time I tried it it was like I was pressing buttons on an input device that wasn't plugged into anything. I would love to see a Flashback that replicates a 5200/8-bit with a controller that actually works. The software deserves better than a system that is unusable due to sloppy engineering.

Either way, I would be happy with anything put out by Legacy that will run 2600/5200/7800 software faithfully. It's just cool to see that there is still interest in this stuff. :)

"If" there will be an FB3, it will be a 7800 system and would be portable.

If...

Curt

Wow, that's just outstanding! I still think an FB3 console based on the Atari 800 series would have been great, but for a portable, the 7800 would be the best possible choice. Hopefully those newly-recovered MARIA tapeouts will be put to good use.

:love: :lust: :thumbsup:

FB3 is being dusted off once Christmas and the holidays are past...

In the meantime, "if" a new console were to come out, "perhaps" it might have some new titles on it, "perhaps" it might be a bunch of titles not used in previous FB iterations, "perhaps" it might be called something like "FB2+"

"if" something was being worked on...

:ponder:

Curt

Great news to hear about the new 7800 portable FB3!! Quite pumped to play classics like Xevious and Food Fight on the go! The question I have is the FB2+ still in the works, or is all energy going to be placed on the FB3? I'd also assume, (possibly incorrectly), that the FB2+ isn't a portable? Matters little to me, I'm buying both either way.

Thanks again Curt for the updates, this is a real treat to see this all coming together again.

"If" there will be an FB3, it will be a 7800 system and would be portable.

If...

Curt

Wow, that's just outstanding! I still think an FB3 console based on the Atari 800 series would have been great, but for a portable, the 7800 would be the best possible choice. Hopefully those newly-recovered MARIA tapeouts will be put to good use.

:love: :lust: :thumbsup:

Well, It looks like the FB3 has totally different specs then it use to. I was really looking forward to the atari computer based FB3. 7800 might be interesting. It would have a very large library of games (using 2600 & 7800). I'm not really that big into portable systems. Being I don't play games on the go. I prefer to plug into a nice large screen to play games.

Anyway, it is good news that there is a possibility of a new FB system coming out. Legacy Engineering, you guys rock!

I think the whole FB3 thing is a farce. A pipedream that is never coming to pass. Atari/Infogrames has zero interest in hardware, being mainly a software dev company milking the Atari name badge for what it's worth. Curt Vendel offers little tantalizers to keep people on a string like "If..." and every Atari fan fawns.

The real future for playing Atari classics will most likely be emulation on the PC.

I think the whole FB3 thing is a farce. A pipedream that is never coming to pass. Atari/Infogrames has zero interest in hardware, being mainly a software dev company milking the Atari name badge for what it's worth. Curt Vendel offers little tantalizers to keep people on a string like "If..." and every Atari fan fawns.

The real future for playing Atari classics will most likely be emulation on the PC.

>bitch-smacked

• Like 5

Interesting. Do you have insider info from Atari? What makes you think that specifically? In my experience, Curt really knows his stuff, the market, and all about Atari. If he knows/believes there is a market enough to discuss some of these projects, then it must be for very good reason. I doubt he's doing this to string anyone along.

And once again the newbie ass-wipe farts out more convoluted crap:

I think the whole FB3 thing is a farce. A pipedream that is never coming to pass. Atari/Infogrames has zero interest in hardware,

LOL, riiiight. That's why they did the Jakk's sticks (including the current new version), the paddles, the keychain plug and plays, the FB1, the FB2, and the previously mentioned 2+.....

being mainly a software dev company milking the Atari name badge for what it's worth.

Spoken by someone who doesn't have a clue on the inner-goings on there, or what is "Atari" anymore. And their chief software operations are in publishing, development is done by other companies. Atari Interactive is very interested in doing anything that has the potential to bring value to the brand name and money. Software, hardware, licensing, doesn't matter.

Curt Vendel offers little tantalizers to keep people on a string like "If..." and every Atari fan fawns.

Curt posts these here to keep up with the requests, and does "if..." because we can't divulge concrete details about ongoing projects. Curt (and myself) keep trying to get these projects going and get money together for them to get them out the door. Curt has had three major heart surgeries in a year's time, we've both been hit hard by the current economy, and yet he still manages to keep this stuff going out of love for Atari and the fans, you dickwad.

Been there done that, that's the past not the future. There's been a plethora of PC re-releases of Atari's arcade and 2600 games since the 90's, including Atari Arcade Hits Vol. 1 and 2, Atari Greatest Hits, Atari Anniversary, Atari Anthology, the Xbox live Arcade, and even the upcoming virtual arcade.

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 5

And once again the newbie ass-wipe farts out nonsense.

I think the whole FB3 thing is a farce. A pipedream that is never coming to pass. Atari/Infogrames has zero interest in hardware,

LOL, riiiight. That's why they did the Jakk's sticks (including the current new version), the paddles, the keychain plug and plays, the FB1, the FB2, and the previously mentioned 2+.....

being mainly a software dev company milking the Atari name badge for what it's worth.

Spoken by someone who doesn't have a clue on the inner-goings on there, or what is "Atari" anymore. And their chief software operations are in publishing, development is done by other companies. Atari Interactive is very interested in doing anything that has the potential to bring value to the brand name and money. Software, hardware, licensing, doesn't matter.

Curt Vendel offers little tantalizers to keep people on a string like "If..." and every Atari fan fawns.

Curt posts these here to keep up with the requests, and does "if" because we can't divulge concrete details about ongoing projects. Curt (and myself) keep trying to get these projects going and get money together for them to get them out the door. Curt has had three major heart surgeries in a year's time, we've both been hit hard by the current economy, and yet he still manages to keep this stuff going out of love for Atari and the fans, you dickwad.

Been there done that, that's the past not the future. There's been a plethora of PC re-releases of Atari's arcade and 2600 games since the 90's, including Atari Arcade Hits Vol. 1 and 2, Atari Greatest Hits, Atari Anniversary, Atari Anthology, the Xbox live Arcade, and even the upcoming virtual arcade.

Loud, sustained applause. :)

• Like 1

And once again the newbie ass-wipe farts out nonsense.

Curt posts these here to keep up with the requests, and does "if" because we can't divulge concrete details about ongoing projects. Curt (and myself) keep trying to get these projects going and get money together for them to get them out the door. Curt has had three major heart surgeries in a year's time, we've both been hit hard by the current economy, and yet he still manages to keep this stuff going out of love for Atari and the fans, you dickwad.

Loud, sustained applause. :)

:thumbsup:

And once again the newbie ass-wipe farts out more convoluted crap:

There is a new version?!

I have seen one and it's just the original 10 games by DC Studios in Jakk's new clear package with a white plastic handle.

Also, Atari has yet to announce any release date for Flashback 2 plus.

Rick

Edited by TrekkiELO