IGNORED

IS The FB3 project still alive?

Please do not urinate on people's projects and our hopes for future cool stuff. You can piss off someone so much that they'll give up and your negative words will come true because you're the one who killed it. Don't make people with the power to make our dreams come true so angry that they will take their ball and go home.

And on the other side, try not to let negative comments stop you from making cool stuff. If you do that, you are allowing negative forces to control you. Use any useful criticism that could make the product better, but ignore the rest.

• Like 5

There is a new version?!

I have seen one and it's just the original 10 games by DC Studios in Jakk's new clear package with a white plastic handle.

That's the new version, same games, different casing (new "old" logo), different packaging, etc.

Also, Atari has yet to announce any release date for Flashback 2 plus.

Rick

Which only states that there's possibly more going on with it than just a straight Atari release.

• Like 1

You're entitled to your opinion... wrong as it is...

Curt

I think the whole FB3 thing is a farce. A pipedream that is never coming to pass. Atari/Infogrames has zero interest in hardware, being mainly a software dev company milking the Atari name badge for what it's worth. Curt Vendel offers little tantalizers to keep people on a string like "If..." and every Atari fan fawns.

The real future for playing Atari classics will most likely be emulation on the PC.

• Like 3

Rick

Which only states that there's possibly more going on with it than just a straight Atari release.

So it sounds like it's going to be a Jakk's Pacific release then like the Paddles that Curt worked on?

:cool:

Just curious!

PM or email me @ RFVendlII@aol.com

Thanks in advance,

Rick

So it sounds like it's going to be a Jakk's Pacific release then like the Paddles that Curt worked on?

No, never said that. Again, can't give out any details other than not to take the fact there's no announcement on Atari's site yet at face value.

Thanks for your responses, I understand and look forward to a Flashback 2 Plus in 2010 by whomever releases it!

:cool:

Rick

Edited by TrekkiELO

I noticed on Atari's official site, that if you click on the store link, that the first platform that comes up is Classic Game Console. Click on that link and it replys with "No results", but it curiously has this listed as its web address-

http://atari.com/platform/7800/

Coincidence... :ponder:

Perhaps it was always this way, I honestly don't go checking on there site very often, but in light of the whole FB3 project, and with the knowledge that its going to be a portable 7800, maybe its a sign for things to come.

Total speculation on my part.

There is a new version?!

I have seen one and it's just the original 10 games by DC Studios in Jakk's new clear package with a white plastic handle.

That's the new version, same games, different casing (new "old" logo), different packaging, etc.

Rick

Is the Flashback 2 + the portable?

I noticed on Atari's official site, that if you click on the store link, that the first platform that comes up is Classic Game Console. Click on that link and it replys with "No results", but it curiously has this listed as its web address-

http://atari.com/platform/7800/

Coincidence... :ponder:

Perhaps it was always this way, I honestly don't go checking on there site very often, but in light of the whole FB3 project, and with the knowledge that its going to be a portable 7800, maybe its a sign for things to come.

Total speculation on my part.

I remember that URL. It actually dates back to the first Flashback, which was a 7800-looking console.

2+ is not the portable.

Curt

There is a new version?!

Rick

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up :) Sounds very interesting.

2+ is not the portable.

Curt

There is a new version?!

Rick

Hmmm, 2+ is not the portable, eh? I thought it was, and looks like I'm not the only one.

I know I've gotten a bit confused with last year's news of the portable, previous queries(I think by Curt) about a Flashback project being 5200/8-bit based, and the most recent whispers of something 7800 related, but I'll surely be interested in any or all of these.

All hail Legacy Engineering!

Please do not urinate on people's projects and our hopes for future cool stuff. You can piss off someone so much that they'll give up and your negative words will come true because you're the one who killed it. Don't make people with the power to make our dreams come true so angry that they will take their ball and go home.

And on the other side, try not to let negative comments stop you from making cool stuff. If you do that, you are allowing negative forces to control you. Use any useful criticism that could make the product better, but ignore the rest.

While I agree with you in part, mainly about the respect things, I don't see how tip-toeing around and kissing butts makes things any 'better'. For someone to 'take his ball and go home' is not the fault of impatient people; it's the fault of a childish attitude.

People should be able to voice their opinions respectfully; that means taking the good with the bad. At least Curt has been totally honest; he's a busy guy and FB3 isn't a priority right now. I'm sure he's an adult and can take a few slings n' arrows from impatient people. I certainly don't think he'd up and quit over a few anon internet voices; that's just silly.

And at least people are talking about it...in my mind, the 80's retro boom peaked about 2 or 3 years ago, around the release of the FB2. And it was a moderate success...I'm glad we got it. The thing about retrogaming is that you have to strike while the iron is hot, as momentum means a lot. At this point it appears that the 'wave' of retro excitement is over, at least in the mainstream public eye (eg, no retro mags available in big stores like Chapters anymore, no newer versions of the plug n' plays from Jakks, shoddy as they were).

For those who really want to experience anything that the FB3 might be would probably be better off going to ebay and buying some systems and games. Done deal.

While I agree with you in part, mainly about the respect things, I don't see how tip-toeing around and kissing butts makes things any 'better'. For someone to 'take his ball and go home' is not the fault of impatient people; it's the fault of a childish attitude.

Impatient is one thing, but people will post some really nasty, discouraging stuff sometimes. It usually gets deleted before most other people get to read it. It's a text version of pulling your pants down, hanging your butt over a railing at a mall and evacuating your bowels all over someone's head.

People should be able to voice their opinions respectfully; that means taking the good with the bad. At least Curt has been totally honest; he's a busy guy and FB3 isn't a priority right now. I'm sure he's an adult and can take a few slings n' arrows from impatient people. I certainly don't think he'd up and quit over a few anon internet voices; that's just silly.

I'm not just talking about him, I'm talking about anyone with the ability to make cool stuff, but like I said, you probably don't read every nasty post that gets deleted in various threads and you never know what kind of PMs they are receiving. People like Curt Vendel are not robots. They might be able to take a lot of abuse, but everyone has an "it's not worth it" switch. Once the switch gets flipped, good luck trying to unflip it.

And at least people are talking about it...in my mind, the 80's retro boom peaked about 2 or 3 years ago, around the release of the FB2. And it was a moderate success...I'm glad we got it. The thing about retrogaming is that you have to strike while the iron is hot, as momentum means a lot. At this point it appears that the 'wave' of retro excitement is over, at least in the mainstream public eye (eg, no retro mags available in big stores like Chapters anymore, no newer versions of the plug n' plays from Jakks, shoddy as they were).

Seems like a new teen signs up here every day, with or without momentum or waves. As long as Atari fans keep it on the front burner and spread the word as much as possible, new fans will be created and former fans will get interested again.

For those who really want to experience anything that the FB3 might be would probably be better off going to ebay and buying some systems and games. Done deal.

Similar to what I've said here and here, if I have to pay as much or more for a modified classic console, I'd rather buy a new classic-style console, especially if that new console has cool features that weren't available or possible back in the 1980s.

If people want to make cool stuff, let them. So many people wanted a USB joystick that Curt's hands almost melted off. If they build it, we will come and we'll bring a bunch of other people with us.

Curt,

IF the FB3 were to happen, would it have a tv out and ability to use 2600 joysticks?

Are there any more specifics you can give us on your vision at this time? I am pretty excited about the project. Also curious if there would be a download service similar to Itunes for 2600/7800 games.