IGNORED

Which games have the best music?

Lendorien

• 1 year later...

Hm. I thought I'd bump this thread rather than make a new one. I can't get over how awesome Thrust+ is. I don't care much for the game, but the music is an amazing use of the original hardware and frankly, I think rivals what was done on other systems.

Fall Down isn't bad at all and I played Gyruss for the first time recently and was quire surprised at the Bach music (someone mentioned it in this thread).

And of course, Pitfall! II is amazing in that is is probably the best sounding music in an original 2600 game ever.

But what I really can't believe is that no-one mentioned Stella's Stocking. I was blown away today by the youtube video I stumbled on of it. What an accomplishment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhlNcR7jUU

Edited by Lendorien

of course it's music, just like jazz is music. :) (yes, I like jazz, though I do feel it loses something being recorded and is much better live...)

You'd probably have to file Star Ship under "Avante Garde" then. I could almost picture Anthony Braxton squeaking out those tones on a bass sax... :D

Battlezone (when you start up the game)

Combat (it's somehow music... (prprprprprpprpr) <-- tank noise)

E.T.

International Soccer (when you goal)

Kangaroo (sometimes the game has music)

Mouse Trap (when you boot up the game)

MS. Pacman (when you die and when you start the game)

Pac-Man (when you start the game)

Picnic

Pole Position (when you start the game)

Space invaders (i don't know if the noise is considered as music)

Spider Fighter (when you start the game)

Swordquest FireWorld (in some minigames there's music)

Vanguard (when you pick up an Energy Pod)

Venture (outside of the rooms) (i don't know it it's really music)

Yars' Revenge (i don't know if it's really considered as music)

Edited by Alex Lyons

Why did Miner and Frogger had the same music?

They don't. Frogger starts with the same theme as the arcade game (the Japanese folk song

). Miner starts with an off-key and off-tempo version of

Anyway, I see that Ghostbusters has been mentioned, but I've always had a soft spot for Kangaroo (which has music at the game start and a snippet of Oh Susannah at the end of each level) and Pole Position (qualifying lap start, main race start, and end of game). The funny thing is that I always consider those two games a pair, because I got them the same day, a two-for-one sale at a store owned by the man my mom was dating at the time, and they both had music.

-DS-

Nah,

Pitfall II had a special chip. That's cheating. IMHO this takes the prize. The music simply gets riveting towards the end, and it has most artistic graphics done on the VCS... ever.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/133587-doctor-a-new-demo-by-trilobit-for-the-atari-2600

Well, gotta agree with you that it's a bit like cheating... still, I think it sounds really incredible. The idea of an interactive soundtrack, although kinda crude, for the 2600 was awesome - how it changes to a minor version of the song when the player has hit by something. Thumbs up!