IGNORED

Which games have the best music?

Lendorien

Nah,

Pitfall II had a special chip. That's cheating. IMHO this takes the prize. The music simply gets riveting towards the end, and it has most artistic graphics done on the VCS... ever.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/133587-doctor-a-new-demo-by-trilobit-for-the-atari-2600

Well, gotta agree with you that it's a bit like cheating... still, I think it sounds really incredible. The idea of an interactive soundtrack, although kinda crude, for the 2600 was awesome - how it changes to a minor version of the song when the player has hit by something. Thumbs up!

I'm curious about this chip. What did it do specifically?

I think Atari 5200 ported to 400/800 or just on 5200 FROGGER has by far the best music befoe the advent of games using REAL wavs and mp3s in there games and before midi. atari had 4 channel sound and 4 traks going at same time for frogger i think it was 2 at same time and 2 game sounds at a time making total of 4 sounds simultinously meshing to gether at same time during game play not waiting for each sound to end before it could produce a nother note.. ALso pitfall II had great music on 2600 as whell as 800/400 the 400/800 music on pitfall II is better sounding and the game has a extra level if you get ballons and wait for them when you can jump higher wait for bats to change into ballons then get diamond guy and other guy on top then a new door opens harry jumps wildy non stop then goes into warp door grey door then next level starts so unless you have a UPS and a very good power connection or are using emulation and save state dont trip over atari power pack or youre going to have to start all over again ON THE 2600 it just ends game or does not goto next level but to beable to play a 2600 game that long is amazing to me in the 1st place..

I also like the music whell the sound effects in asteroids 1980 and 1981 they are slightly differnt in 1980 verision w out © wait screen 1981 verison has differnt thump thump sounds and shooting is slightly differnt they are not same animal as in game play as each other are play for 20 minnutes both versions of atari2600 asteroids and find out for youre self they are differnt sounding its so slight but you can tell the way the rocks blow up faster on the older version and the rocks are not on a pattern the same way..

ALSO I LIKE Preppie II and I on 800/400 I also like pathfinder I love to escape the maze in pathfinder

if you get between two angled corners and between both corners go in oppoosite wrong directions trying to '

enter the corners graphics it WILL EVENTUELLY LET YOU INSIDE THE boarders and you can escape go UP because going down goes no where exept into empty RAM but going up will let you get power and warp back inside maze I LOVE THE LEVEL UP MUSIC IN pathfinder..

also like bounty bobs music and I love BOULDER DASH ENTRO MUSIC ITS AWESOME AND WAS WAY AH HEAD OF ITS TIME for 80's music it was awaesome.. DKONG 400/800 was better than arcade dkong w super BASS line and then dont forget super cobra as a matter of fact all atari800 games had cool music.

POOYAN HAD ONE OF THE COOLEST GAME MUSIC backround music ever so addictive..

slime had good music too.. way to many to list..

the 2600 had frogger too! was not as good as 400/800 but the frogger fix worked good enough and if you pushed b difficulty you could goto threw walls!!! ..oh yes moon patrol

push up left and fire on 800 and it will start push start demo mode!.. 400 too..

if you have 48k or 32k to run mon patrol.

Edited by awace

Suprised nobody has mentioned Double Dragon which has excellent renditions of all the arcade games tunes. Definately my favourite 2600 music :thumbsup:

California Games hasn't been mentioned yet either which has the iconic Louie Louie title track.

Kung Fu Master is also another that hasn't been mentioned that has really good music, also seem to remember Sprintmaster having a title tune.

My other favourites are Double Dunk, Commando, Ghostbusters, Frogger and Gyruss

California Games hasn't been mentioned yet either which has the iconic Louie Louie title track.

Sure it has! Page 2, post #32. It kinda got overtaken by Vanguard and its Flash Gordon/Queen roots, though.

The selection screen of California Games also has a nice tune. Gets ya geared up for some BMX goodness. :)

Sure it has! Page 2, post #32. It kinda got overtaken by Vanguard and its Flash Gordon/Queen roots, though.

The selection screen of California Games also has a nice tune. Gets ya geared up for some BMX goodness. :)

California Games is what prompted me to post this thread int he first place, though I didn't say it in my first post.

• 4 years later...

When I think of music in vintage games, I usually move to the Colecovision versus Atari. Smurf and Mr. Do were probably my favorite. Time Pilot at the beginning you could always distinguish immediately. When the C64 came into my life, there were some great games with songs. In fact I loved the music so much that back in the 1980s I took a tape recorder and sat there and recorded various songs for games onto a tape while the game played. I remember 3 games that stuck in my head I definitely recorded: Alternate Reality, Ultima III, and Adventure Construction Set.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...