IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if any codes or easter eggs exist for this game? I haven't been able to track any down. You would think a game with this attention to detail would have some. As much as I enjoy this game I find it impossibly difficult even on "easy"

Yes there are cheats. But I am not sure if they were published.

Anyone know if any codes or easter eggs exist for this game? I haven't been able to track any down. You would think a game with this attention to detail would have some. As much as I enjoy this game I find it impossibly difficult even on "easy"

My copy from GDG finally arrived, and I was quite surprised... I am usually not good with shooters, but on easy I find Zaku quite doable. Much easier than Zarlor and Raiden.

It is really about learning the boss patterns I think. Try a few times what they do and how you should react, and you can tell ahead of time when to shoot and when to hide.

And absolutely essential: collect the power ups so you can replenish health when you are in a tight spot with Option 2, and use your backburners with Option 1 WHENEVER YOU CAN!!! That attack is crazy powerful and needs no charging, neither does it ever run out. The only downside is it has no autofire, so you must repeatedly press the button. I actually think this is kind of a design error, because it is so overpowered it makes sense to just get behind the enemies all the time to kill them with a hit or two. I doubt it was intended that tactic is superior to playing "normally". I found that out wanting to just check out if it makes even sene to bother with a function inconveniently placed on an options button at all, man was I surprised.

That way I beat the first three worlds on easy today. Just played a little over an hour, for the first time. The backburner rules. Only one of the selectable worlds left, plus the final stage that opens after beating the previous four. Sadly I don't have time since it is late to try level 4 right now. Next time I will start with that and do the stages I already know afterwards. Unlimited continues allow lots of practice.

Design flaw or not, still a great lot of fun and a top title for the Lynx!

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wasn't that the second print already?

That's the shame with homebrews. Even if a game has been available for 5 years, like Zaku, there will still be people who just learn of it when it is finally sold out. I knew of it from the start, and still almost missed it!

I highly doubt another print run will happen though, since I think 600 copies should pretty much exhaust the Lynx fan community already, and they would likely need to manufacture another batch of 300 to be cost-effective... but for you guys sake, I hope it will happen after all.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

Wasn't that the second print already?

I highly doubt another print run will happen though, since I think 600 copies should pretty much exhaust the Lynx fan community already, and they would likely need to manufacture another batch of 300 to be cost-effective... but for you guys sake, I hope it will happen after all.

Brandon and I made a bet some years back regarding whether or not the game will sell over 1,000 copies.

Since Zaku is a Lynx game I predicted a much lower sales number, maybe twelve or thirteen total, and wagered against it.

Now that it has reached 600 copies, I am worried.

With 400 more I lose the bet, and will have to develop a thrilling menus adventure / JRPG for the Watara SuperVision as payment.

So for my sake I hope another production run does not happen, but I am sure it will :)

Wow, just wow. A truly official-looking Lynx game! The curved lip cart style has returned. Now if only Songbird productions would step it up by making a working cheat device for the lynx(ie codebreaker or pro action rocky) as well as a Lynx version of atari carts, RBI baseball, Star Raiders, and missile command!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I saw the Zaku website and thought I'd never be able to get this game. To my surprise I just checked eBay UK, and there staring at me was a second hand copy of Zaku for £13.99. It's complete in very good condition and I'm pleased to say it is now mine. The guy selling it had over 1500 feedback at 100% so should be fine.

Rgds

Happy BadPricey

Hi everyone, I saw the Zaku website and thought I'd never be able to get this game. To my surprise I just checked eBay UK, and there staring at me was a second hand copy of Zaku for £13.99. It's complete in very good condition and I'm pleased to say it is now mine. The guy selling it had over 1500 feedback at 100% so should be fine.

Rgds

Happy BadPricey

Jammy!

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I highly doubt they will do another run any time soon regardless of the demand that might be there. I hope they prove me wrong as I really want a copy. People have been asking for re-releases of their Sega games for years and finally doing another run of beggar prince that they did in 2006. They expect to ship 2016 with no exact date. If is anything like nightmare busters it will be 2017.

Edited by stinkoman

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...