IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

Wait. So you have to pay the FULL price NOW and then hope to get it somewhere in 2018 ?

Sorry but in my opinion this is a complete insane way of doing business. If it were a percentage as a downpayment I could understand but the full amount ??

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Wait. So you have to pay the FULL price NOW and then hope to get it somewhere in 2018 ?

Sorry but In my opinion this is a complete insane way of doing business. If it were a percentage as a downpayment I could understand but the full amount ??

Good point. Since its so far away, a down payment makes more sense.

Sorry but in my opinion this is a complete insane way of doing business. If it were a percentage as a downpayment I could understand but the full amount ??

If drop time was a few months, I'd probably bite, but two years is a very long time to wait for a preorder. I've gotten burned in the past on such things...

• Like 1

They HAVEN'T made them yet, it is, what they call in their e-mail a "pre-order" list.

In my book, "good guys" would just accept,a pre-order and only charge your PayPal or credit card when the item actually ships.

F.I. 80Tees.com works this way with the shirts that they first want to reach a minimum number of orders for.

To me, this is the most fair and honest way, if you don't get the item, you won't have to pay and still the company can be sure of a minimum amount of orders.

However, I can understand that this is a small venture and that SFT needs a bit more security, but a 20% downpayment should be enough to warrant the bulk of the orders....

Indeed, if this would be only a month or two away, it could be reasonable to ask the full amount.

But in two years time a lot can happen. With SFT, with me.....

Anyway,,,..it's their business and they can do what they want, But I'm not going to pay the money now and wait for two years.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

Anyway,,,..it's their business and they can do what they want, But I'm not going to pay the money now and wait for two years.

Exactly. Something unexpected happens, someone runs into heath or financial burden, and suddenly all that goodwill goes down the drain. People cannot get their money back because the time to file a claim has expired, the original seller has already spent the funds, and they are just out the funds.

That said, I am a firm supporter of Kickstarter and a lot of projects I've backed have been successful. Maybe they should kickstart the second run Zaku game instead or create an interest thread on various forums instead of accepting preorder moneys where there's no guarantee they'll get the 400 preorders.

• Like 2

I'd absolutely pay the money now for the pre-order if they'd give me a digital ROM to put on my SainT SD card. I know that's wishful thinking because of piracy concerns.. but in this day and age now that an SD cart exists, people are going to want to buy things in that format if they can.

I think it makes sense, becuase devs could charge less, and not have to worry about trying to make physical carts, boxes, etc for each thing. I wonder if somehow saint can put serial numbers in each SD cart hardware and then you just give that to the dev and they embed that in the ROM, so if you copy the ROM out somewhere, its obvious who did it. Again, people could hexedit, etc.. but you're never going to stop piracy completely. I'm betting most of the lynx enthusiasts would pay.

• Like 3

I'd absolutely pay the money now for the pre-order if they'd give me a digital ROM to put on my SainT SD card. I know that's wishful thinking because of piracy concerns.. but in this day and age now that an SD cart exists, people are going to want to buy things in that format if they can.

I think it makes sense, becuase devs could charge less, and not have to worry about trying to make physical carts, boxes, etc for each thing. I wonder if somehow saint can put serial numbers in each SD cart hardware and then you just give that to the dev and they embed that in the ROM, so if you copy the ROM out somewhere, its obvious who did it. Again, people could hexedit, etc.. but you're never going to stop piracy completely. I'm betting most of the lynx enthusiasts would pay.

Yes. The classic Canary trap. ;-)

Lynx ROM are encoded (partially or whole) to run on Lynx and not everyone can deal with that. What could be done is create a custom ROM for each person so the order # and buyer's name can be added to it, and a confusticated checksum can be used to quickly check for altered name or number. If the person uploads the ROM, they'd know who did it. If the person tries to edit out to change or blank out, the ROM could throw an error code, a fake "INSERT GAME" screen, or run OK for a few minutes then stop working completely.

One would need to know Lynx coding to find and disable or remove the checksum and then alter the info. There can't be many that can pull this off.

I agree with you guys. I would pay the total amount for a few month but not for two years (400 person x50 dollars= 20000 !!) They can grow this money by placing. I think it's not fair.

And I agree with you cowdog, I will pay two years for sure if they will give us a ROM to put on SD card. I think all (most) of guys here want to support lynx programmer and therefore have our lynx library keep on growing ;)

Like several people have already said the upfront payment is a cause for concern, perhaps Super Fighter Team can explain in detail why?

I'd happily pay in stages e.g. $20 to secure a pre-order, another payment to cover build and a final payment for balance and posting. Even if this was 6 months before release so you have all necessary funds.

Rgds

BadPricey

Let's face it. The development costs of Zaku have either already been covered by the previous runs, OR it may never be covered in full....no idea.

I don't know how many hours went into this. So, the costs for the new run are only those of manufacturing the cartridges, labels, boxes and manuals. That's it. How much would that be per unit ? 15 bucks ? Printed matter is VERY cheap today. So the most costs are in the cartridge production I guess.

If there is one thing I think we all agree on (and this really needs to be clear here) is that the rather small Lynx user base is very much supporting new games like these and paying a fair amount of money will hopefully be a good trigger for more.....that is absolutely NOT the problem, in fact I think we'd all pay the full amount right away if there was a finished product.

I'm not out here to "attack" new games like these ...... but I personally have been burned on projects that never delivered in the past and my money got "lost".....so I think SFT should reconsider asking the full amount so long ahead of planned release.....I think it will very much enlarge the amount of pre-orders flooding in judging from the reactions above who are all seem to agree with me.

I also find it kinda sad that SFT like to use this forum as a platform to get attention for Zaku, yet seem to simply ignore any of our remarks. This is not helping them. This is a forum. They got a Sticky for Zaku, and rightfully so, but why not communicate with your FANS ........ it's 2016, that's what modern and major companies do these days on social media....so why not here ?

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Then again.....I received the same e-mail and NOWHERE in the e-mail it is mentioned that Zaku will not ship until "somewhere" in 2018...... It's only a line on the webpage they send a link of. But I can see many people hitting those PayPal" buttons without even reading the large texts. I would even call the texts in the boxes where the PayPal buttons are quite misleading......they indicate it will arrive in a few days......once available......

Even the name of the hyperlink they put in the e-mail says "purchase" .......not "preorder"......

"http://www.zaku-lynx.com/purchase.ht"

Edited by Level42