IGNORED

What is the going rate?

chriswhit

What is the going rate for a fully functional 5200 4 port system?

In my opinion items should not be decided by "what's the going rate" but rather "what's it worth to me." I say this because maybe you could get $100+ worth of enjoyment or $1. The average person who wants the system is paying close to $30 in convenience costs, but of course you can get a system for $10 if you're in no rush and look around locally (thrift stores, craigslist, pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, game stores, ect. depending on your community). The system is old so the price is pretty solid and if anything will go down with a few high spikes in the global marketplace. I'd say at the moment if you were planning to buy a classic console, arcade, or computer now is a decent time to look.

In my opinion items should not be decided by "what's the going rate" but rather "what's it worth to me." I say this because maybe you could get $100+ worth of enjoyment or $1. The average person who wants the system is paying close to $30 in convenience costs, but of course you can get a system for $10 if you're in no rush and look around locally (thrift stores, craigslist, pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, game stores, ect. depending on your community). The system is old so the price is pretty solid and if anything will go down with a few high spikes in the global marketplace. I'd say at the moment if you were planning to buy a classic console, arcade, or computer now is a decent time to look.

Yeah, I kind of agree.... I hate to say it, but I'm selling like amost ALL my video games... and well, the Atari 5200 is one of them. I've got two 5200 systems in the box. A 4-Port system in the box, and a 2-port system in the box. They aren't work the plastic their made from right now, (in terms of eBay value)... it sucks...

I really hate to sell this stuff, but I'm just in a different phase of my life... I NEVER play any of this stuff, I work full time, I go to school 2 nights a week, I have a daughter, home improvement projects, a car hobby that's also taken a backseat...

I'm slowly getting rid of everything... I just put like 5 systems on eBay tonight too... including a brand new never opened Amiga CD32 system... that's not worth anything either. :/

In the end, I'll probably keep all my 2600 games, plus 1 or 2 systems, my Jaguar and all of those games, one NES 8-bit system, a Super Nintendo, my Sega Saturn, and... I dunno, maybe that's it.

I have like 50+ games for a NEC Turbo GraFX-16 w/ CD and all the accessories... I'm dying to sell it, but I'm having a real hard time hitting the submit button...

Yeah, I kind of agree.... I hate to say it, but I'm selling like amost ALL my video games... and well, the Atari 5200 is one of them. I've got two 5200 systems in the box. A 4-Port system in the box, and a 2-port system in the box. They aren't work the plastic their made from right now, (in terms of eBay value)... it sucks...

I really hate to sell this stuff, but I'm just in a different phase of my life... I NEVER play any of this stuff, I work full time, I go to school 2 nights a week, I have a daughter, home improvement projects, a car hobby that's also taken a backseat...

I'm slowly getting rid of everything... I just put like 5 systems on eBay tonight too... including a brand new never opened Amiga CD32 system... that's not worth anything either. :/

Sometimes when you are not so busy you may regret having gotten rid of them especially if you grew up with the Atari/Amiga systems.

In the end, I'll probably keep all my 2600 games, plus 1 or 2 systems, my Jaguar and all of those games, one NES 8-bit system, a Super Nintendo, my Sega Saturn, and... I dunno, maybe that's it.

I have like 50+ games for a NEC Turbo GraFX-16 w/ CD and all the accessories... I'm dying to sell it, but I'm having a real hard time hitting the submit button...

Actually, I got rid of my Turbo GraFX, some of the Sega stuff and will be getting rid of NES stuff. I am keeping the Atari 5200, A8 stuff, and Amiga stuff. Of course, I am a programmer so the A8/Amiga is something I find easy and fun to program. Also the simple games with simpler controller like A8 joystick gives better control than the later complicated controller based 3D stuff. I think the classic games is more fun. And easier learning curve for kids.

• 4 weeks later...

When people find a fantastic deal at a garage sale, CL, or just a generous seller, that doesn't mean an item is only worth that much. The deal tz101 got with those Wico controllers was an absolute steal. $10! Just a working Trak Ball controller goes for more than that usually! With the 5200 though, even moreso than for many other consoles, condition is king. It's harder to find a fully functional 5200 than say a 2600.

I'd buy 5 of them too if a decent 5200 system price was normally $15-$20!!! Now a broken one, or shabby one? Probably not even worth that much.