IGNORED

Holy F#@%! (Super-Massive Lot, Need Advice)

dommie

Edit nevermind. I found another post stating it is .86 cents a piece at the time. Making the carts worth about $1.30 a piece in gold right now not including the PCB's which could have gold as well.

If the carts were worth .86 cents at the old price for gold, which sounds about right, they would be worth $0.013 now, not $1.30.

Edit nevermind. I found another post stating it is .86 cents a piece at the time. Making the carts worth about $1.30 a piece in gold right now not including the PCB's which could have gold as well.

If the carts were worth .86 cents at the old price for gold, which sounds about right, they would be worth $0.013 now, not $1.30.

Sorry the cents part was just redundancy on my part! :dunce: I meant these were worth 86 cents a piece, and that they are now worth a dollar thirty a piece.

It's horrible to think these games are gonna get melted down. :( Like TJ mentioned, there is SARA,POKEY & SRAM chips galore in that stash. Be a total waste to melt them all away. SAVE DIG DUG! SAVE BALLBLAZER!! SAVE JINKS!!

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Well, Albert will buy them for 50¢store credit each. Sounds like a real money-making opportunity. ;)

Oh no he won't. Albert does not buy the Silver carts because they are a HUGE pain to remove. The ones he would have use of are Super Football, Venture, Gravitar, Solaris, and Football.

A heat gun takes off the silver labels quite easily. Just have to be careful not to put to much heat on the cart to keep from deforming it.

It's horrible to think these games are gonna get melted down. :( Like TJ mentioned, there is SARA,POKEY & SRAM chips galore in that stash. Be a total waste to melt them all away. SAVE DIG DUG! SAVE BALLBLAZER!! SAVE JINKS!!

Those Atari 2600 carts which should be saved for parts are Super Football and Dig Dug.

But then... Solaris, Ms.Pac-Man, Battlezone etc.! It would be a shame to destroy any of them.

Those Atari 2600 carts which should be saved for parts are Super Football and Dig Dug.

But then... Solaris, Ms.Pac-Man, Battlezone etc.! It would be a shame to destroy any of them.

Save them ALL!

So O'Shea wants their salt mine space back now? Still, it serves them right for jacking up the prices on everything simultaneously and then wondering why they stopped selling so well. All they did was sell out of the ones that were actually rare enough to be worth more. Then they had convinced themselves that they were all worth five bucks and didn't lower the price of the rest.

I'm thinking that it depends entirely on which carts are involved here. A bunch of Pac-Man and ET, you could melt down 95% of them and it would be no real loss. Somewhat rarer games (Tower Toppler, Barnyard Blaster, Meltdown, etc.) are still worth at least two bucks, but there aren't likely to be many of those left. Definitely the low-numbered 2600 games get priority over 7800 games.

Yeah, if there are any copies of Ballblazer, they're all worth saving for the Pokey chip. (I'm guessing Commando is long gone.) Sell 'em for four bucks single or less per case (6-pack?) and let people desolder their own damn chips. Jinks is also worth something for the board and RAM chip, it's the most common 7800 RAM game easily converted for homebrew purposes. Maybe 10 bucks per 6-pack. It really depends on how badly people want to desolder chips or how efficiently they can do so.

Making the carts worth about $1.30 a piece in gold right now not including the PCB's which could have gold as well.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/104765-how-much-gold-is-in-an-average-atari-2600-cart/page__view__findpost__p__1270762

Well, for what it's worth, even with the types of carts Albert wants, he wants the molded plastic shells, not the boards. All you gotta do is get someone to remove the screws, pop out the boards, throw the screw and shell into one box and the board into another box. Still, holy crap on the amount of gold in there. (Note that some of it is the little bonded wires inside the chips that connect them to the pins.)

It sure makes me wish I could get anywhere near that kind of money for the gold in all the junk boards in the attic that I've accumulated from taking stuff apart to save space. Mostly it's so I can (theoretically) have a nice supply of parts, but most multi-layer boards have holes too small to desolder the chips easily, and I tend to get the interesting chips off first. And the going rate on "computer scrap" recycling normally considers all the sheet metal and plastic that goes along with whole items. (Scrap steel is priced by the TON.)

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

AtariAge buys carts for 50 cents each. I'm not sure how many Al would take off your hands, but there's one place to start.

I'd hate to see these goto scrap metal. Even if they are all E.T.

I sent a PM immediately after this is posted. I'm not in a position to spend $120,000 on games either (nor would I want to), but I certainly wouldn't mind getting a big pile of these carts, depending on what they are.

..Al

You certainly won't be making big money off of buying a big chunk of the lot and trying to resell them. It is going to take a really long time to sell off any large amount. That is why Osheas is trying to dump them now. Even if there really is $.86 or more worth of metal in there, no scrap metal place is going to pay them anywhere close to that. If your buddy gets them, he is going to get them dirt cheap. If I were you I would get myself a small little stockpile and then see what the members here would want. I know if the price was right I would be in for a few cases of each game.

You certainly won't be making big money off of buying a big chunk of the lot and trying to resell them. It is going to take a really long time to sell off any large amount. That is why Osheas is trying to dump them now. Even if there really is $.86 or more worth of metal in there, no scrap metal place is going to pay them anywhere close to that. If your buddy gets them, he is going to get them dirt cheap. If I were you I would get myself a small little stockpile and then see what the members here would want. I know if the price was right I would be in for a few cases of each game.

In case anybody was wondering, one case holds 12 master packs. A master pack hold 6 games each. So 1 case is 72 copies.

In case anybody was wondering, one case holds 12 master packs. A master pack hold 6 games each. So 1 case is 72 copies.

Well then I suppose I would be in for a few master packs of each game. 72 is a bit much. :D

If your buddy gets them all, why don't you store all of them, sell them dirt ass cheap, and you become the new O'Sheas? You said you have warehouse space. If it doesn't work out for you, then you could sell back to your friend for scrapping. SAVE ALL THE 2600 CARTS!!!!

Soon as I read it I figured O'Shea, but didn't want to say anything since the original poster didn't.

I'll echo Bruce Tomlin's comments. The most valuable games out of that entire lot are the 7800 games that can be retrofitted for homebrew titles, particularly the ones with POKEY and RAM chips inside the cartridge (Ballblazer and Jinks, respectively). These in particular are worth far more intact than they are for scrap: the gold content isn't much different than standard 7800 cartridges, but the extra chips make them much more desirable.

I'd be interested in picking up a significant portion of whatever quantities of these two titles that you have. I'm on 42 acres of land and I've got plenty of room to store them. I'll PM you about this.

It all comes down to how much time and patience you have. Apparently, OShea has run out of one or both. You could buy a case of each and open an ebay store, and sell one per month for $4-8 apiece. That would give you a steady income for 72 months...if you have the warehouse space and the patience. Game resellers have already been doing this for years. It maximizes your per item sale price, but you have to consider a lot of overhead costs. One of each title per month would be about $150 revenue per month.

Or you can be more creative and try to "speed sell" them. Keep two cases per title. Sell them for $5-10 per master pack on AA and ebay. That means about $60-120 per case. After six months if you are lucky, you have sold a case of each title for a total of something arounnd $3000. Then either have a firesale at reduced price, or sell the rest to your scrap dealer.

Whatever you do, don't tell your wife that you can make a quick $10,000 selling Atari games.

There's a lot of things you can do with these.

Besides selling them outright.

Keeping the good ones to use for homebrews = yes.

Taking the rest and making keychains and other art work out of them would be cool.

Worst comes to worst, if everything is going to be scrapped then you should save the boxes if you ask me and flatten them out nicely.

You should also film that many cartridges melting. Is there any way you can get some cameras mounted in the thing that melts stuff?

There's a lot of things you can do with these.

Besides selling them outright.

Keeping the good ones to use for homebrews = yes.

Taking the rest and making keychains and other art work out of them would be cool.

Worst comes to worst, if everything is going to be scrapped then you should save the boxes if you ask me and flatten them out nicely.

You should also film that many cartridges melting. Is there any way you can get some cameras mounted in the thing that melts stuff?

No way about filming the cartridges; those crucibles get way too hot.

I suggest breaking down the cartridges into at least three categories: those that would be most useful as homebrew donors (example: BallBlazer and Jinks), those that would be desirable to have intact for regular use but which can be scrapped without losing anything "rare" or "valuable" (Solaris, some of the good but more common 7800 games like Ms. Pac-Man), and those that aren't especially desirable for either and which can be scrapped first (7800 Baseball and Football, Karateka, etc). If anyone is going to start pooling together some money to buy pieces of this lot (assuming this even happens), those games in the first category should be the first priority.

They would probably sell if they were priced at $2-$3 each, which is more than the scrap value. I bet Oshea's picked them up for $0.25 each or even less.

Way less I am sure. I bought a full set when he was selling them for $.45 each somewhere around 1997.

Probably, I remember them being $0.99 each around 2000 or so. I didn't buy any tho.