IGNORED

Holy F#@%! (Super-Massive Lot, Need Advice)

dommie

Taking the rest and making keychains and other art work out of them would be cool.

Worst comes to worst, if everything is going to be scrapped then you should save the boxes if you ask me and flatten them out nicely.

You should also film that many cartridges melting. Is there any way you can get some cameras mounted in the thing that melts stuff?

Don't forget cartridge wallets. Saving the boxes may not be a bad idea, but with that many of them the most interesting thing to do with them is to cover walls with them. With a good assortment, it might be cool for a theme restaurant.

And I suspect that the recycling process would start with grinding them to something like small gravel, then probably a winnowing process with either air to blow the plastic and paper away, or an electromagnetic process to kick the metallic bits away.

Oh no he won't. Albert does not buy the Silver carts because they are a HUGE pain to remove. The ones he would have use of are Super Football, Venture, Gravitar, Solaris, and Football.

Be careful now ... if you're referring to the 7800 cartridges, remember that they aren't really "silver label" cartridges; they're ordinarily paper labels printed with gray ink. They're no more difficult to remove than the red labels are; I've cleaned quite a few of O'Shea's Jinks cartridges quite easily just by peeling off the label. No heat gun, cleaners, or knives were needed.

Edited by jaybird3rd

One thing I was wondering:

I'm unfamiliar with 7800 carts. What's the PCB size difference and number of pins? Also, how many chips are on a 7800 board? Is it a single 16 pin ROM chip like a 2600? I'm curious as to which he sends as a sample for gold testing. My guess is that the 7800 is bigger, which would mean it would test higher in gold content. This could be important to know because the sample test results are going to be extrapolated to the total quantity of carts.

One thing I was wondering:

I'm unfamiliar with 7800 carts. What's the PCB size difference and number of pins? Also, how many chips are on a 7800 board? Is it a single 16 pin ROM chip like a 2600? I'm curious as to which he sends as a sample for gold testing. My guess is that the 7800 is bigger, which would mean it would test higher in gold content. This could be important to know because the sample test results are going to be extrapolated to the total quantity of carts.

Here are some links to some good pictures of the PCBs on Dan Boris's website ...

I believe about half of the 7800 games in O'Shea's inventory use one of the standard 7800 PCB designs, seen here (1 chip) and here (2 chips). These aren't too much different in size from most 2600 PCBs, although they do have an extra four pairs of gold fingers.

The later games (labeled "Super Game Cartridge," if I recall) use larger boards, which may contain one or two chips, such as this one or this one. The board in the last link contains a POKEY chip and was used in only one cartridge, BallBlazer, which is one of the games in O'Shea's inventory.

In case you haven't seen a 2600 PCB, you can look at the ones on sale in the AtariAge store to get an idea of their size.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Economics of game sequestration by ianoid:

cost = (unit price)+(storage volume)x(cost per volume)x(storage time)+(hours invested)x(cost per hour)

In other words, the COST is much greater than the unit price paid. O'sheas knows that.

I would say the way to sell these would be to see how many fit in a flat rate box and sell them by the set, or in quantity in flat rate boxes. Like $30 for 15 games shipped or something like that, with a large flat rate box being $14 or so to ship. You have to simplify these operations or else the headaches and time will overwhelm you.

I bought a ton (alright, just 3 of each) for 80 cents and was able to clear them out in trades and bundles quickly. But before that time, they took up too much space. I have bought several doxen sealed 7800 titles in the wild since, but I never check to see if they are O'sheas titles. I'm always happy to have them for trades or bundles. Surprisingly, they still move.

Having a huge collection, the burden of space can overtake the possibility of profit or the enjoyment of possession. I love my stuff, but it weighs on me like a physicial weight on my shoulders.

In other words, the COST is much greater than the unit price paid. O'sheas knows that.

So why not selling in larger quantities? Maybe even in existing packages (6 for e.g. $2 each or 72 for e.g. $1 each) even if they are all the same game.

Additional logistics would reduce significantly.

if i had the money id but em all just so i could use the carts to build a house. it would be wicked cool to have walls made of 2600 carts in my ever-forthcoming museum... anyone wana donate? :)

I have had a very similar idea, but in my case instead of Atari carts I used records.

Then,when my house would make strange noises at night, at least I would have an explanation!

..ok lame joke, moving on.

wow, that's a lot of games that have never had the joy of being played. I could use a very few of the boxes, but it's not vital. Especially not for $5 a pop.

If someone here gets these and wants to offload a few boxes, send me a PM. I had thought one time of ordering from O Shea's, but I'd have wanted to order everything I needed in one shot and I'd have also had to deal with getting rid of the loose carts. I think I've got loose carts of just about every game they offered.

Oh, and adding my voice to the chorus, save the Ballblazer carts at least! I dunno a lot about the Superchip, but if it's important, save those, too!

Geez, for new games I'd probably buy a case of each if the price were right - just to say I have them! :) It's a shame that they shot themselves in the foot when they jacked up the prices. I purchased a number of them back when they were cheaper (like many previous posters) and would gladly purchase more if the price came down into a more reasonable range.