IGNORED

Holy F#@%! (Super-Massive Lot, Need Advice)

dommie

Sorry. I think I was one of the first people to mention the POKEY carts in this thread. I should have PM'd it or not brought it up.

So now they're worth $15/each? Where does he get these prices from? I guess he wants to ship singles for the next 100 years.

Edited by gdement

Sorry. I think I was one of the first people to mention the POKEY carts in this thread. I should have PM'd it or not brought it up.

So now they're worth $15/each? Where does he get these prices from? I guess he wants to ship singles for the next 100 years.

We all (including Oshea) know they are definitely not worth $15. I think he's attempting to negotiate. Regardless, we can't offer him much of a premium for them because there are tens of thousands of them. I have no way of unloading them all, at least for anything more than like some number higher than like $0.50 a copy, and at that price I'll still have leftovers in the thousands. All the leftovers get melted, so we can only really offer him a minimal premium above scrap value.

So he's either: A) smoking crack, B) trying to generate demand, or C) driving up his price.

B) trying to generate demand

Yes, I thought about that. What if he did never plan to really melt the carts down, he just acted like he would, in an effort to artificially generate more demand.

Or perhaps he really IS going to melt them down... Most, but not all of them. As a result, the value of the remaining games would increase significantly, maybe instead of lowering his prices to the actual value, he is trying to raise the value of the games to the level of his prices.

Which, in my opinion, would be a scheme as corrupt as it is effective.

Edited by Herbarius

Or perhaps he really IS going to melt them down... Most, but not all of them. As a result, the value of the remaining games would increase significantly, maybe instead of lowering his prices to the actual value, he is trying to raise the value of the games to the level of his prices.

Which, in my opinion, would be a scheme as corrupt as it is effective.

These games aren't rare. Even if they all melted down I don't think it would be a big deal. The utility of these cartridges is reflected by their market value - which isn't very high.

I'd like to have a cheap supply of homebrew PCBs but frankly a custom board would be easier to work with. Retrofitting an Atari board is only worthwhile if they're cheap. The POKEY would be nice but that board has other limitations.

These games have yet to enter circulation. Even if most of them get scrapped, I don't think it would affect near term value or his ability to sell what's left. They'd continue to sell at about the same rate as they do now. Scrapping the excess just removes carts that won't move in the next several years anyway.

**FINAL UPDATE**

We had a last minute bidding war, and lost. Oh well. Sorry everybody, but it looks like the lot is getting scrapped by somebody else.

But he is still holding Ballblazer/Jinks separate. His price was too high for us at $0.60 a game/30K games. That was yesterday. Today he re-offered the Ballblazer/Jinks lot to us at $0.75 a game (WTF!?). Again, if $0.60/game was too high... sheesh, some people I just don't understand.

So, feel free to pester him about the lot. He's either an uber-shrewd business man, or smoking major crack. I haven't decided which one yet.

**FINAL UPDATE**

We had a last minute bidding war, and lost. Oh well. Sorry everybody, but it looks like the lot is getting scrapped by somebody else.

But he is still holding Ballblazer/Jinks separate. His price was too high for us at $0.60 a game/30K games. That was yesterday. Today he re-offered the Ballblazer/Jinks lot to us at $0.75 a game (WTF!?). Again, if $0.60/game was too high... sheesh, some people I just don't understand.

So, feel free to pester him about the lot. He's either an uber-shrewd business man, or smoking major crack. I haven't decided which one yet.

:sad: Oh well, you did your best to save them.

I'd say the latter, and for quite some time now. I was fully prepared to go up there with a trailer to pick up a chunk of this lot so it could be saved for recycling, as you know, but now it looks like I won't have that opportunity. Pity.

Thanks for your efforts to rescue at least some of them. Hopefully whoever is getting their hands on them will be shrewd enough to recognize that there is still a market for them outside of the scrap world, and unlike O'Shea's, will be enough of a businessman to seize the opportunity.

**FINAL UPDATE**

How much was the winning bid for the other games?

**FINAL UPDATE**

We bowed out at $0.20/unit X 1.2M units. This was minus the Ballblazer/Jinks titles. Dunno what the final was.

**FINAL UPDATE**

We bowed out at $0.20/unit X 1.2M units. This was minus the Ballblazer/Jinks titles. Dunno what the final was.

Wow. You guys were willing to drop $240,000 on Atari games. That is awesome.

Suck. :(

..Al

For us it sucks sure, but for the collectable market in the end this is a good thing that these are gone. And he still has Jinks and Ballblazzer so it's all good in my books cause thats all he has that I have any intrest in anyhow.

1.2 million units gone BUT 30 thousand left. That is more donor boards then we all will ever use combined.

Edited by Shawn Sr.