IGNORED

Anybody playing Borderlands yet?

Video

Hey, one of my friends picked this up, and I got to play with it a little bit. It's a pretty cool game, kinda RPG/ish FPS game. It's kinda like Fallout, but not nearly as heavy on the RPG side of things, and more traditional FPS on that side of things. It was great, so I ordered one off newegg, and it should be in later this week. Can't wait.

Anyhow, anybody else got one, what's your thoughts on it?

I used the sniper dude, he's pretty cool. My friend thought it was pretty cool that you could blow people's heads off (he used the berzerker huge dude) and the sniper has a bird he can throw at people to attack (or maybe it's just attracting attention or something) His berzerker dude can do some kind of rage thing and heal up, that's pretty cool.

You got a shield you can buy, so you take no damage till that goes down, but apparently, later (or when I get enough money or whatever) you can get one that will heal you as well.

The weapons are an exercise in balancing between your prefered style of shooting, better accuracy, more damage, higher fire rate, and some even have a secondary function like fire damage.

Anyhow, I played for a while, got just past the "nine toed" dude part (also, he has three balls :lol: ) and that's as far as I got. So far, I really like tha game, as I said, good enough I bought a copy. So me charactures saved and when I get the new game in I can start back where I left off.

I like Fallout a lot better, but I'm about halfway through the game, I think. I'm past the second outposts and Lucky's Bar and whatnot. The game is pretty cool. I chose the sniper guy as well, but I've been pretty unimpressed with the actual sniping part of the game. The hit boxes are off by quite a bit and I just barely got around to getting the 100% pass-through-shields bit.

The gameplay seems to me to be a lot like Diablo 2...everything is based on gear, gear, gear. Your skills/points don't really matter much, it's just a question of getting that revolver that can do 356 damage or the rifle that does 500+.

I don't know if it was worth the $50 I paid for it, to be honest, but so few modern games have been worth it. I'm still peeing myself in anticipation for Red Dead Redemption.

Got this from GameFly last week. I really like it right now, but can see me growing bored. Enough with the dogs already...

The graphics are really slick. I love the robot and wish he would still follow me as a sidekick.

Got this from GameFly last week. I really like it right now, but can see me growing bored. Enough with the dogs already...

The graphics are really slick. I love the robot and wish he would still follow me as a sidekick.

Oh yeah, the graphics rock, the psudo Cellshadeing with realisim thrown in, looks real nice. And yeah, the dogs driveme nuts.

I'm on level 17. It is REALLY hard to connect to an online game, and 99% of the time, it's a mission that's way ahead of your progress. However, if you do connect & help out, you can get a ton of XP by just being there. Also, other players will drop nicer weapons for you. Great when you are in a really difficult spot(Ie Arid area) on solo mode.

I believe the level of the missions is dependent on the level of the host. If you play with a level 30 dude, yeah, your level 17 ass will get kicked (unless their hella good and can keep your back, or are even interested) But if you offer to host, you may get some level 30 dude, and a bunch of 17 or so missions.

I'm actually thinking of picking up Live again just for this, not to play most people online, but several of my friends have it, and I think it would be cool to play some CoOp.

So far, I'm level 30, have no Idea how many missions there are, I'm mordici(however the hell it's spelled) and got my bird maxed out, yay, he can attack 6 people at once, cause them to drop a lot of loot and basically keeps me healed up.

Over all, I really love the game over all, but one thing I can't stand is, the 24 hour(ish, there abouts) respawn time on enemies. I'm serious, you can play through a level, and on your way back through, you might find yourself in the open, with no cover, while every enemy you killed in that level simultaneously respawns, including turrets, and proceed to kick your ass into oblivion :lol:

Over all, the game is fun, fairly low in story (they don't flow to well, and the main plot if you can call it that seems a bit fractured, especially if you take any intrest in the side quests and stuff) It's still really actiony, you'll creep through the "slightly better than the one i just had" guns, and depending on who you play as, and your own preference in play style, could have quiet drastically different experiences in playing.

I loved when I got to 9toes and my friend is like "yeah, your going to get your ass kicked now, he's hard as he...."

*bang, first shot missed, bang bang dead*....ll Oh, how'd you do that" Eh...just shot em in the head a couple of times, this sniper rifle sucks. :P The best guns for me are the multishot whatever you call them, pistollike machine guns, but they also piss through bullets, so I useually snipe, but that's largely my characture, I'd love the shotgun and rocket more, but he's not as good with that.

I'd say that I'm not at all upset at the full price point I paid for it, I've played far worse games for my $60, but I can see how it could have easily been an AWESOME budget title too. I'd say get it, as far as strictly FPS games gok it's a long game, from the RPG side, very short, I guess it evens out somewhere in the middle though.

If you are paying full price for new releases, you have to be nuts. Best Buy and Amazon and TRU had B2G1 on new games last month. And the sales just keep coming. Anyway, I think I paid about $40, which is a bout a $10 premium for a new game.

I think Borderlands is great fun. It has made me put down Fallout, at least until I get back to finishing the expansions on that game. Seems a requirement since I already put 120 hours into Fallout- over several months of course. Anyway Borderlands is not as deep or compelling, but it has the action right. The missions are just kill a bunch of stuff, don't get killed, grab something, hope for loot. The games is all about loot, there is no alignment system. Just grab everything within reach, don't worry about stealing.

When I first got the vehicle, I just drove around running stuff over. Stuff that would otherwise have taken me minutes to kill.

I need to do some co-op. I have a level 20 character and I haven't gone online with it yet. Anyone? Problem is, I play for about half an hour every other night around 10pm CST. Most people who play online hit it for hours every day.

I accidentally did some parts of a quest involving lighting torches. This sadly summoned some fire-spewing Mothra-like rakk who can basically kill me in 1 shot. How do you get rid of it? I had to retreat to some other map to escape it.

If you see some tiki torches, don't just light them for fun. There's a monster that will chase you all over the map.

I accidentally did some parts of a quest involving lighting torches. This sadly summoned some fire-spewing Mothra-like rakk who can basically kill me in 1 shot. How do you get rid of it? I had to retreat to some other map to escape it.

If you see some tiki torches, don't just light them for fun. There's a monster that will chase you all over the map.

The way I beat Mothrakk is I went to the entrance of the Circle of Death Meet & Greet (where you have to do three rounds of killing Skagg's), which is across from where Mothrakk spawns. Stand in the entrance way and snipe away with your best rifle. When Mothrakk comes in for a fire attack, back in under the cover of the Meet & Greet entrance, and its attack won't hit you. Then pop back out and snipe away. Rinse and repeat a couple of times and Mothrakk will fall like a piece of cake.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I'm really enjoying the game and having a blast.

One tip I can pass along, based on my gameplay, is to be careful and don't go on killing spree's in area's you've already cleared. Why? Because if you do, you will level up too fast and quests will quickly become Trivial to you.

As an example, I did every quest in the Arid Badlands and also went on several killing spree's while completing those quests, wiping out areas repeatedly that I had already cleared. I ended up killing Nine Toe's, Bonehead, Moe & Marley, and the Roid Rage Psycho several times.... mostly from helping friends who hadn't completed those quests yet.

When I accepted the Leave Fyrestone quest and arrived in the Dahl Headlands, every quest on the Bounty Board and every quest from NPC's (including killing Mad Mel and Skaggzilla) were now Trivial to me because I had obtained to much experience in my killing spree's around Fyrestone. Same with when I arrived in New Haven.... every NPC quest and every Bounty Board quest were now Trivial to me. This took a lot of challenge out of the game because most foes now presented only a slight threat of death.. and with 2nd Wind, death doesn't come often.

My advice: stick only to the main quests and the side quests and don't go on killing spree's until your second play through. Once you complete the game and start your second play through, the enemies become MUCH tougher (BoneHead handed my Lvl 36 Soldier a very quick death and I am now not looking forward to facing Sledge a second time) and you can now go on all the killing spree's you want. And you'll need those killing spree's in order to acquire the "Reach 40th and 50th Lvl" achievements.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

The flaiming Mothrakk is a bitch to kill, even if you're properly leveled. Especially if your used to just standing out in the open, letting the rakks come in, and blowing them to bits with the shotgun :lol: The building in the middle of the area you light the torches though will provide protection, run out, shoot a couple of times, and run back in to let your shields heal, and use healths if you don't have them. If you use the hunter, use bloodwing a LOT, but have him set on electric or corrosive, as the fire will do nothing to the mothrakk.

If you light the torches much to early (look at your missions, if it's grey, it's not to hard, if it's green it'll give you a run, but if it's yellow or red, it'll be damn near impossible) you can go back, and either do some other easier missions, Or you can go back to previous areas and just kill lots of stuff to level up. The Mothrakk won't go anywhere, and you can come back once your leveled up.

As for driving, I like to get there fast, but I often stop at spawn points and shoot everything, it gives you very little exp for running stuff over as opposed to shooting them.

Yeah, I beat it the other night, Yay. Now I'm on my second playthrough, up to level 40, and I'll tell ya, it's a LOT harder the second time around. The first time is pretty much run'n'gun, heal if you gotta, run'n'gun more. The second time, you'll spend a LOT of time hiding, and all those empty caves you run into, now enemies come out of all of them, and instead of just 3-5, they'll come out in swarms. You can get fucked up quick with even low level stuff....of course, by "low level" I'm talking lv35's and such :P

I'm glad I've been investing in lots of "heal me" level up stuff. Almost all my bonus stuff, shields etc have some kind of health modification, bloodwing heals me, killing enemies heals me, grenades heal me, and I'm still damn near getting my ass kicked at every turn.

I thought the second play through would kinda suck, since I already did it onece. I can tell you though, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Love coop too, me and my friend set up, poor him, he's level 17 too :P so I run in and kill everything on his file, and he gets the loot :P But this time when I go over, since I'm on a different playthough than him, I may not be able to coop with him, but damn, I'[m 42 now, think of how easy some of his stuff would be to blow through now (He's still in the badlands last I checked too, we just killed sledge together in coop.

Anyhow, still great game, getting even better as it goes along, man, the third playtrhough is going to be brutally brutal :lol: Better stock up on extra controllers and X-boxes :lol: :P

Edited by Video

Yeah, I beat it the other night, Yay. Now I'm on my second playthrough, up to level 40, and I'll tell ya, it's a LOT harder the second time around. The first time is pretty much run'n'gun, heal if you gotta, run'n'gun more. The second time, you'll spend a LOT of time hiding, and all those empty caves you run into, now enemies come out of all of them, and instead of just 3-5, they'll come out in swarms. You can get fucked up quick with even low level stuff....of course, by "low level" I'm talking lv35's and such :P

Have you ran into the "BadMutha's" yet? Whew.... I started the Safe House quest last night and along the way I ran into 4 BadMutha Skagg's that took a TON of ammo to bring them down. Died twice while fighting them, but again getting a 2nd Wind on lesser Skagg's prevented my total demise.

BadMutha Psycho's aren't quite as bad as they don't have the armor that the Skagg's do. But get a couple of BadMutha Psycho's along with some other Badass enemies and you can be in a total world of hurt.

A friend is farther ahead in the game than I and told me to beware the Super Psycho's!!!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Finally kiled the mothrakk. I hid behind the arena entrance wall. The sucky part was I got him to an inch of his health, then died on one of his double attacks. He attacks more frequently when he's almost dead(as per video game rules). 2nd time wasn't so bad. Just lots of hits with the elephant gun & dodging his fireballs. Thankfully you can buy ammo in the arena foyer.

Yeah, Badmuthas, I hate those. Tons of armor, and even though I've only replaced one of my first play through guns as of yet, the guns still do almost nothing to them. At least the psycho's aren't armored, run up, shoot it in the facee and run away (and hope they don't got a rocket launcher :P )

Thnk I'm up to level 45 now, and my friend's only on like 23 or so (he's only playing when I'm playing with him now I think :lol: ) Fixing to go to the Dahl Headlands as I think I've finished everything except leave firestone mission.

Bought Zombie Island of Dr. Ned yesterday... BIG BIG DLC download!!

I've only played a few quests so far but I'm really enjoying this DLC. One surprise I had was (hope this isn't a spoiler) when I was sent to "Dead Haven"...i.e. Old Haven... on a quest.

A couple of observations based on about 1 hour of gameplay:

I haven't found very many red chests so far. In fact, I've found far fewer in this expansion (so far) than in any area I explored in the main game. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Corpse Eaters are a PAIN, PAIN, PAIN!

All Zombies spit at you and the spit sloooooows down all movement and firing. Get surrounded by a bunch of zombies and you can be in a world of hurt.

Some GREAT humor within the game and some surprise "guest appearances" for boss battles.

Mendon